recabling sony mdr sa-3000. driver tag / joint / connection fell off
Dec 18, 2012 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

g3333t

New Head-Fier
hello, head fi!

first post here, been lingering for months.
great website! it's been my go to for gear reviews / advice.

after lots of reading and looking through boner worthy pictures in the diy gallery, I finally decided to mod a cable myself. my brother had bought a refurbished Sony mdr sa-3000 a while ago and the audio gave out recently. I, assuming it was a connection problem decided to recable it.

everything was going swell when...

like the title says, the little metal ribbon on the driver fell off.
is this game over?

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 3
still can't seem to find any information about being able to repair the situation i'm in, well, except for one post that said something like it having a success rate of 2% and even if you do fix it, the sound will be different from the original.

if anyone could give me tips on fixing it (regardless of how it might sound different from the original) i'd like to try it and judge myself if i need to just replace the drivers.

i called sony customer service for parts and they said they had it. proceeded to tell me they only had one, which was cool because i only needed one. then they told me the price.. 80 some odd dollars. when i immediately turned it down, the customer service representative kept me on the phone for a good 20 minutes trying to convince me to buy something else, haha.

i'm currently, as delicately as possible, sanding down the driver where the connection fell off, trying to see if i hit metal that i could resolder onto. no luck so far!

worst case senario, i guess i'm just going to have to buy a new pair of drivers. the driver (50mm) specs on the mdr sa-3000 were:

1. Frequency Response: 8-100,000 Hz
  2. Sensitivity: 100dB
  3. Nominal Impedance: 70 Ohms
  4. Power Handling Capacity : 1,500mW

so far, i've mailed audio technica's parts department for their 53mm drivers out of their ad-900 headphone. (seen here, post #4)

any suggestions on alternative drivers??

EDIT: got a reply from audio technica parts. the ad-900 drivers are $ 26.20 for the pair, not including shipping. sounds decent, what does head fi think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back