Recabling Help Needed
Apr 30, 2010 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

berniebennybernard

100+ Head-Fier
This might be a long shot, but I was just wondering if there is anyone out there that wouldn't mind placing a new plug on my Null Audio Lune cable. I prefer someone local from Vancouver, but anywhere else in North America is fine too.

Basically my cable keeps cutting out right after the connector, which I'm guessing is due to stress. I'm just looking for someone to cut the cable and apply a new plug on it, preferably a right-angled one.

I would attempt to do it myself, but the last time I did any type of soldering, I fried a motherboard, and I highly doubt I would be able to work with such small cables.

And of course, I will be paying you for your time
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know if this is the right section, so mods, please feel free to move it.

Cheers.

Apr 30, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #2 of 12
Not the right section and I would like to encourage you to try it yourself. Making cables is no rocket science.
wink.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #3 of 12
Another member suggested I post here as well, so I gave it a shot.

About what percent do you reckon it will be that I could mess up the cable even more if I attempt this? This is the first time I've coughed up money for a better than average quality cable, so I'm quite hesitant.

Apr 30, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by berniebennybernard /img/forum/go_quote.gif

About what percent do you reckon it will be that I could mess up the cable even more if I attempt this? This is the first time I've coughed up money for a better than average quality cable, so I'm quite hesitant.

If you mess up, you make the cable an inch sorter. And if you do it again, you make it two inches shorter.

Fiddly, I'd say, like threading a needle (I hate doing that) but not difficult.
Test before bending back into shape and soldering permanently.

Most difficult part is preventing wires from touching.

There are plenty of photos, diagrams and videos on the web.

If you've ever wired a plug (power lead), it's very similar - especially for me, in the UK, as we have 3 pins.

Apr 30, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Maybe you could find an electrician or even a chool electronics teacher - it's 10-15 minutes work that requires a normal soldering iron, nothing else.

Apr 30, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #6 of 12
Risks are minimal. Once you have found where the cable cuts out pull out your soldering iron. Should be 15 minutes of work.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #7 of 12
Okay, I guess I think I'll try it first before sending it to Singapore and waiting a month, haha.

The only issue at the moment is that the straight Pailiccs connector is hot glued on. Would I be able to somehow get the glue off and reuse it?

I did a bit of reading around, and it seems like I just cut the cable, expose the wires, solder it onto the connector ends, and ta-da?

May 5, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Okay, I guess I think I'll try it first before sending it to Singapore and waiting a month, haha.

The only issue at the moment is that the straight Pailiccs connector is hot glued on. Would I be able to somehow get the glue off and reuse it?

I did a bit of reading around, and it seems like I just cut the cable, expose the wires, solder it onto the connector ends, and ta-da?

You'd might as well buy a new connector. They're not very expensive, and it'll be more tedious to try to re-use it, IMO.

And yes, just take your cable, find where it's cutting out and cut after that point. Strip and solder to proper positions on the connector and you're good to go.

May 5, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

all that it takes
smily_headphones1.gif
hot glue is very easy to remove also

May 5, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, lesson #1 - don't hot glue connectors.
wink.gif
Yeah, definitely re-use it, chop cable at break point, desolder stub from connector and resolder termination.

Haha, I didn't glue it. It came that way, with the connector glued to the shell, or at least I believe it's hot glue.

I'll give it a shot tomorrow. I'm going to ask the electronics teacher at my school for any pointers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back