Recabling Hd595
Jul 7, 2005 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Gh0s7

New Head-Fier
I recently purcahsed my first high end headphones, the hd595s. Im very much in love with these headphones. I want to get started into the world of DIY because it seems fun. Im by no means an expert solderer, but ive done various projects and am pretty descent at it

So i was wondering if recabling these headphones would be a good place to start. Is it going to hard to do this, and am i going to have a good chance to kill my headphones. I dont really have a problem with the current cables sound quality, just its pretty thin and tends to get tangled and in the way.

Jul 7, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 35
If you feel comfortable enough to take apart the headphone itself then you should be able to solder the wires. Just take your time putting the cable together and get it done right. 3 wires go into 1 ear and then 2 wires go from one ear to the other so to get it done right you should replace the 2 wires going from the left channel to the right. It really isn't had just time consuming.

Good luck

-Alex-

Jul 7, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 35
headphone recables would probably be the most difficult in cabling DIY, IMO its not a place to practice, as soldering to headphones requires good soldering experience, you can easily damage the drivers from the heat.

start with RCA interconnects if you want to learn DIY cabling, those are the easiest to make.

Jul 7, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 35
nm
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 2:07 AM Post #6 of 35
Alright guys, thanks for the help. It looks liek soemthing i feel comfortable with doing. Anyone want to point me in the direction of some descent guides for a starter semi cheap cable?

Jul 8, 2005 at 2:10 AM Post #7 of 35
Thanks I want to recable mine as well, Any pics of how to take the ear cups off?

Jul 8, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #8 of 35
If you want my honest opinion, headphone recables are pure snake oil. They don't do ****. You really need to be careful with all the crap you read around here. If a change in a system (cable, connector, solder, whatever) could, theoretically make SOME kind of improvement to electron flow, to audiofools it will be night and day. The placebo is striking.

But that's just my opinion and surely I'll get slammed for it once again, but I can direct you to some high quality wire which is great for any use...here. Some will tell you that the teflon, being a superior dielectric to PVC, will sound better. I would laugh in their face. Some will also tell you that the silver coating on this wire will make it sound brighter and more forward, because they say current tends to flow on the outside of a conductor, called skin effect. I would also laugh in their face. Teflon is used because it's a superior plastic on many levels. Stronger, harder, abrasion resistant, chemical resistant, UV resistant, high melting point (great for soldering), etc. It's used in high end applications such as aerospace. The silver coating is only to prevent oxidation...teflon insulated wire is more prone to oxidation because of the method they use for making the insulation. If I recall correctly, it's usually just extruded teflon with wire stuffed inside, not molded over the wire like PVC.

Jul 8, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #9 of 35
I understand that changing the cable soundwise, will make little if any change. Im nto doing it for quality reason. THe current cable just is too thin and likes to tangle itself on everything it can.

Jul 8, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon
If you want my honest opinion, headphone recables are pure snake oil. They don't do ****. You really need to be careful with all the crap you read around here. If a change in a system (cable, connector, solder, whatever) could, theoretically make SOME kind of improvement to electron flow, to audiofools it will be night and day. The placebo is striking.

But that's just my opinion and surely I'll get slammed for it once again, but I can direct you to some high quality wire which is great for any use...here. Some will tell you that the teflon, being a superior dielectric to PVC, will sound better. I would laugh in their face. Some will also tell you that the silver coating on this wire will make it sound brighter and more forward, because they say current tends to flow on the outside of a conductor, called skin effect. I would also laugh in their face. Teflon is used because it's a superior plastic on many levels. Stronger, harder, abrasion resistant, chemical resistant, UV resistant, high melting point (great for soldering), etc. It's used in high end applications such as aerospace. The silver coating is only to prevent oxidation...teflon insulated wire is more prone to oxidation because of the method they use for making the insulation. If I recall correctly, it's usually just extruded teflon with wire stuffed inside, not molded over the wire like PVC.

I'm not slamming, BUT, you do undertand the basic concept behind a capacitor, yes? Does it differ so much from having a long run of two wires close together with dielectric inbetween?

What about crossovers, you undertand how a resistance and capacitance are intentionally used for this purpose? Do you agree than a cable with best conduction and least capacitance between the signal and ground, OR between the two signals, could theoretically improve signal quality?

There are 3 main reasons why headphone cables usually start out as very thin copper: Light weight, flexibilty, and low cost. If these 3 things aren't as important to someone as sonic potential, then there isn't a good reason NOT to switch cables. Also keep in mind that the theoretically perfect/new cable, may not always be what's being swapped. The cable may have had some use, breaking of conductors, or the owner may want to do it preventitively, knowing the flimsy cable isn't going to last. Other reasons are length, they're often too long.

Silver is NOT used to prevent oxidation, as it, itself, oxidizes. I vaguely recall someone explaining that the silver is commonly used because the moulding of the teflon requires a wire plating with a higher melting point.

Will it make a night-and-day difference to recable? Depends on the reason. "Sometimes" it may not even make a sonic difference, but additively, several (inaudible by themselves)changes can result in an audible change.

Jul 8, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by mono
Soldering to drivers is not an issue with HD595, it has a 2 x 2, 4 pin plug just inside the housing with .1 pins.

hd595rewire.pdf ~550K

they are not 0.1" pins.

they are more like 2mm pin spacing, which may still nto be correct.

i have not found a 2mm spacing pin to test with. 0.1" pins dont fit.

Jul 8, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
they are not 0.1" pins.

they are more like 2mm pin spacing, which may still nto be correct.

i have not found a 2mm spacing pin to test with. 0.1" pins dont fit.

You're right. I'd thought they were .1" centered (spacing) but are actually 2mm spacing.

Jul 8, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

I'm not slamming, BUT, you do undertand the basic concept behind a capacitor, yes? Does it differ so much from having a long run of two wires close together with dielectric inbetween?

When you're talking about 1v and current on the uA scale, then yes, it is much different. Also, capacitors are made with specific dielectrics in mind, and I doubt PVC is one of them. Twisting 120v house wires together doesn't create capacitance leading to ground.

Quote:

What about crossovers, you undertand how a resistance and capacitance are intentionally used for this purpose? Do you agree than a cable with best conduction and least capacitance between the signal and ground, OR between the two signals, could theoretically improve signal quality?

Theoretically is the key word. Communism works...in theory. Your ears aren't that precise nor are objective instruments. If a high end oscilliscope (or ones designed for audio perhaps) can't tell the difference, I seriously doubt you can. I can't really say much other than that since I'm not familiar with speakers much.

Quote:

Also keep in mind that the theoretically perfect/new cable, may not always be what's being swapped. The cable may have had some use, breaking of conductors, or the owner may want to do it preventitively, knowing the flimsy cable isn't going to last. Other reasons are length, they're often too long.

Oh sure, there are plenty of reasons to recable, but in my book signal integrity just isn't one of them. I was thinking about recabling my ER-6 with 30 awg teflon and twisting it to reduce microphonics - the reduced friction from teflon would also help. I also had sometimes intermittent connectivity in the right phone, which seems to have gone away now that I fiddled with it. I may recable them someday, I can see the solder points when I pull the sleeve off, but I'd be likely to ruin the drivers, especially without a good temperature controlled station...but I'm ranting now.
wink.gif

Quote:

Silver is NOT used to prevent oxidation, as it, itself, oxidizes. I vaguely recall someone explaining that the silver is commonly used because the moulding of the teflon requires a wire plating with a higher melting point.

Of course silver oxidizes, but not as fast, nor as thoroughly if I recall correctly. I also remember reading something about the wire plating as you've mentioned - solder is normally used to tin copper wires, but the solder melts before teflon does. But then if silver or solder isn't used as oxidation prevention, why is it there? Might as well melt the teflon over the copper directly. Either way, it doesn't effect audio quality. I thought skin effect was bogus, but I did a little research and it seems it is legit - but if it effects audio quality, that, I doubt. Not to mention since the braiding/twisting of the wire is there to prevent the skin effect in the first place.
Will it make a night-and-day difference to recable? Depends on the reason. "Sometimes" it may not even make a sonic difference, but additively, several (inaudible by themselves)changes can result in an audible change.[/QUOTE]

Jul 8, 2005 at 8:08 AM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

correct.

I disagree with emon's statements btw.
since when did silver NOT oxidize
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 8:11 AM Post #15 of 35
Emon, Ive stated this before and will state the same thing everytime this no win argument arises.

there are two types of audiophiles.

first one thinks of potential gain and the other thinks of neglegiable gain.

its the classic faith versus science debate.

I belong to faith. and no one should tell me what I should hear. I hear it, and thats all that matters.

skeptics feel that everything can be explained with science, and if not scientifically proven its null and void by default. This is not the case as IMO not everything can be explained scientifically with numbers.

You calling others placebic or snake oil fools is just as bad as me calling you tin ears OR one lacking in musical discernment.

Nice to be on the soap box
smily_headphones1.gif
, but it would also be nice to respect the opinions of others.

Personally I believe we have a soul. We cant explain it scientifically I cant see, see hear or touch it. does it mean it doesnt exist?

Have a good night!

EDIT: I think I'll add it to my sig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back