recabling hd555
Aug 3, 2010 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

BobSaysHi

Headphoneus Supremus
I opened up a pair of 555's I just purchased from a member here and was shocked at the tiny wires connected inside the phones. When I searched for a guide to recable the one people linked to is down. So, can I just bypass the motherboard inside the headphones and wire directly to the speakers? how difficult is it to get the wire through the headband? 

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 11
I totally would. But after listening to these all day I don't like them, and I am going to sell them off. I don't think a recable will make me like these.

The hunt begins again!

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 11
I agree with FallenAngel on this one. All of my headphones, even my ATH-AD2000, have tiny wires. Headphones don't pull much current and anything thicker than what's supplied will do nothing but make the cable unwieldy. OFC is an excellent conductor and you don't need much of it for a 3 meter run.

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #6 of 11
I actually just acquired a set of HD555 Im going to recable and mic mod for gaming and was wondering the same thing about the PCB and just wiring directly. Is it necessary to wire it just the same?

Sep 7, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 11
and by the way how long have you had the hd555? for me , they were terrible the first few months i had them, after that they really shined.  i also did the soundstage to mine though.  i wish someone could help me jsut recable the original cables.  ive been literally everywhere on the net and people have pictures but no information.

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #9 of 11
I sold my hd555 because I realized that no matter what I did to them I didn't like them. recabling the headphones will probably give a 5% performance increase max, and IMO you should save your money and invest into better gear.

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #10 of 11
i loved the way the hd555 sounded after i burned them in and did the soundstage mod.  they stunk at first but after this, they seemed like my first pair of audiophile gear.  what would be the next step up from these in the 200-300 dollar range do you think?  these were my first audiophile pair so maybe that is why im impressed, but they did have good reviews.

Sep 8, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #11 of 11
by the way, you said you could bypass your pcb board.  how would you go about doing this?  just solder wires to the earphone driver where it was, and then solder new wires inline with the L/R channels right?  same with grounds i guess, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back