Recabling Etymotic ER-6i IEMs
Aug 18, 2008 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Repooc

Head-Fier
Heya all,

So now that I have my SA6's en route, I have my etys here on my desk crippled because the right channel cuts in and out with sound. I'd rather not have them goto waste, because they do sound great (when working), so I'd like to repair them to be a backup or at least sell them at a discounted price to offset some of the SA6 cost.

I've narrowed it down to be a problem with the cable and NOT the actual ear piece itself. This is proven by wiggling/pinching it in certain areas to have sound return to the right ear piece.

Now I know there have been several DIY's for recabling bigger earphones (ie: Cans) but nothing for smaller IEMs. I imagine it won't be overly hard... maybe even easier?

Can someone suggest how I should go about doing this? Should I cut each of the cables right at the ear piece/plug and then re-solder new wires? Can the plug be re-used?

Where can I get the right gauge wire around Toronto/Canada? I'd like it to look as "stock" as possible, so white cables, same or higher quality.

Thanks for all your help/suggestions... I'll be sure to make a worklog with photos. I think it'll be a fun little project.

Aug 18, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by JGreen08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rew...closed-239155/

This is probably what you're looking for. Same thing happened to my ER 6i, but I just decided to get UM1s instead.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..... I searched for like an hour! how come I didn't pull this up! lol lol lol! THANK YOU!

This is pretty much what I need!

Now... where can I buy new wires/cables that are of the same size/quality?

Aug 18, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #4 of 5
You probably won't find the same cable, but you can use cable from any cheap earbud to do the trick.

Aug 18, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #5 of 5
If you have a pair of iPod stock buds laying around, that's what ericj used to rewire his.

They're easier to rewire than ER-4P because you don't have to make the funky plug connector. -_-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back