Recabling AKG K81s? ¯\(°_o)/¯
Jun 11, 2007 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

XSO

New Head-Fier
Ok, so for those who have had AKG K81s and have ended up the same thing happening to them, the connector bit (terminator?) is totally broken it seems, as I have to keep them plugged in the computer and just the slightest touch or movement on the connector bit makes the sound fuzz like mad and such and shift sides and go all over the place. In other words I think the terminator part has had it, which I've noticed is a common problem with these headphones.

Nonetheless, I want to recable, right? Yet I don't have a clue what exactly to do, what to get. I know at the moment after searching, that I'm not able to afford the solid silver cables that everyone seems to like, it seems like I'll be putting the canare or mogami into these instead.

But here comes the crux. I haven't touched a soldering iron since D&T in school a few years back, and don't have a clue how to recable these, what goes where, etc.

All I can understand from searching is that I am prolly gonna use a mogami or canare since I really don't have the expertise to make my own cable out of the SPC yet, and that's about it. I don't have a clue about all thisterminator or neutrik-l plug business. Also what is the deal with heatshrinks and Y-dividers? I'm still trying to figure out how one would get a microphone cable to divide into stereo.

Nonetheless, for a complete cabling n00b who doesn't even own a soldering iron yet, how would I go about replacing the cable and connector (basically everything from the headphone unit itself downwards) exactly?

Can I buy custom-made cable/terminators which I would just solder into the headphone? Should I make my own? I really don't want to spend more than about £30 doing this recable though, although I might consider slightly higher depending.

But yeah, thanks to anyone who can help.
580smile.gif

Jun 12, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 14
If you look in the DIY section, just search for K81dj recable or just k81dj in the advanced search option and you will get lot of information since they have been recabled by a lot of head-fier! Good luck, for me the K81DJ were my first experience with DIY and i loved it!

Jun 12, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #4 of 14
Don't use canare or mogami though. They make the sound too warm and dark. I wasn't able to afford the silver either, but got some Belden SPC cable that brings out the treble as well, at a fraction of the cost.

Jun 12, 2007 at 10:58 AM Post #5 of 14
this is truly amazing. only yesterday i was searching for a solution to this exact problem, and only a few hours later, someone makes the thread i couldnt be bothered myself to make. I thought i was alone! this is fate my friends. and just like you, in a noob to recabling. this is excellent, hope this thread delivers.

Jun 12, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 14
You can definitely get SPC cable easily for $5-$10USD for 25ft of cable. Recabling the K81s are easy. You just take the cups off, desolder the old connections, reconnect it with new wire, and connect it onto a new plug. There is a tutorial about interconnects in the DIY section that explains a little more about plugs. It's really easy, I wish you best of luck. I recabled mine and it makes a huge difference...IMO

Nov 26, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #8 of 14
Nov 27, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #10 of 14
Probably you could find some audio shp that sells them by length? If you're terminating it with L-plugs, I like the Neutrik ones IF your cable is really thin. They look great and compact but are very fiddily to work with. Switchcraft is much easier but its huge.

Nov 27, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by iQEM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PM me then, ishtob...
wink.gif

i'll send you a PM when i get the cables. it is a total of $125 for 100ft, so yea.. $1.25 per feet plus shipping when i get it. They are backordered for 2-3 weeks though.

yea.. tell you more when it comes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back