Recable my grado 325i or get an HF 2?
Nov 12, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #17 of 33
I found the sound signature changed with my cable change and added dampening when i modded my PS-1s. I had to change tube roll to compensate and ended up using Mullards, which i hated when i had the stock cable.

I believe it will make a difference but the HF2s are awesome cans, and sound exactly like the sound signature your looking for!

Nov 12, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #18 of 33
wow this is perhaps the first time on Head Fi that I've seen such consensus. lol

Nov 12, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent_Moler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow this is perhaps the first time on Head Fi that I've seen such consensus. lol

Comment of the day. I'm going to echo everyone else's comments and add that the HF-2's and 325i's are really two completely different cans. They're both made of metal and that's about all they have in common. The HF-1's and HF-2's are both far better than the 325i's in my opinion.

Nov 12, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #20 of 33
I don't believe in recabling either - the difference is so negligible if any. And as for the HD800 sugestion - unless you have several thousand to spend then this is not an option since the HD800 requires a high-end (and very costly) source/amp to achieve proper SQ. And if you have several thousand to spend then go electrostatic with the O2.

Nov 12, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #22 of 33
HF2, nuff said

Nov 12, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #23 of 33
A combo, indeed. With the wood interior it is startlingly light and, thus, comfortable to wear!

This is turning out to be "HF-2 Appreciation Thread-2". Man... I love it when informed sorts say nice things about my headphones.
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #25 of 33
I have a couple of questions, as I believe the HF-2 was a limited run (happy to hear otherwise):

1. how much do they resell for when they appear in the FS forum ? (just ballpark)
2. how often do they appear ?

Nov 12, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #26 of 33
I build/solder/assemble audio cables for a couple good sized cable companies and though I feel it gives us piece of mind to know that the cable isn't keeping the product (whatever it is) from sounding it's best far too often the consumer is paying way too much for the cable itself.

I have to be paid for my labor and at times there is a lot of skilled labor involved in making custom cables but I'm often shocked at the final price to the customer and that comes from companies charging way too much for the cable itself.

If it were me and I do own the Grado 325i Headphones I'd rather buy a different pair and just have more cans to pick from when listening. I like my Grado's for some types of music, my AKG's for others and so on.

Best of luck.

Nov 12, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a couple of questions, as I believe the HF-2 was a limited run (happy to hear otherwise):

1. how much do they resell for when they appear in the FS forum ? (just ballpark)
2. how often do they appear ?

They seem to sell for low to mid $400s. I see them maybe 4 times a month since I've been interested in them.

Nov 12, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #28 of 33
charliex, the HD800 suggestion was tongue-in-cheek, but I would point out that the OPs intentions mirror the actions of many when the HD800 was released - they sold every other pair of cans they owned to be able to enjoy the HD800, and I'm sure that included an amp. I'm only using that as an example, but it seems that once folk begin the upgrade journey many of them end up at that station. Hopefully, the OP will be happy with the HF-2 and not looking to sell them in 6 months time.

Nov 12, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by KLJTech /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I build/solder/assemble audio cables for a couple good sized cable companies and though I feel it gives us piece of mind to know that the cable isn't keeping the product (whatever it is) from sounding it's best far too often the consumer is paying way too much for the cable itself.

I have to be paid for my labor and at times there is a lot of skilled labor involved in making custom cables I'm often shocked at the final price to the customer and that comes from companies charging way too much for the cable itself.

If it were me and I do own the Grado 325i Headphones I'd rather buy a different pair and just have more cans to pick from when listening. I like my Grado's for some types of music, my AKG's for others and so on.

Best of luck.

I would keep them, since they were my first pair of REAL headphones but I have this philosophy that I only want to keep 3 pairs of all of my audio equipment, 3 amps, 3 IEMs, and 3 headphones. I'm doing this to ensure that I don't buy things I don't often use (as of now I'm using my denons a lot more than the grados) and to not go too far with my audio spending. I just got into this hobby earlier this year and already i've spent about $1600!!
I'm saving my third pair of full sized headphones for a sennheiser 650 or 600...

Nov 12, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent_Moler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They seem to sell for low to mid $400s. I see them maybe 4 times a month since I've been interested in them.

Mid $400s to $600 actually. No one has sold them for less than the cost ($437ish), and I doubt at this point a pair could be had below the high 400s. The record head-fi price is $625 IIRC; outside head-fi a model has sold on eBay for above $700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back