Recable my grado 325i or get an HF 2?
Nov 12, 2009 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Agent_Moler

100+ Head-Fier
I'm currently deciding if I should sell my SR 325i and get an HF 2 instead or if I should invest in a recabling.

I really do enjoy my Grados but I find the bass to be lacking and at times, the highs are too fatiguing. I'd be interested in finding a cable that can balance out these cans. What are some good cable suggestions to achieve this? I'm willing to spend about $200 on a recable.

The genres I listen to most are metal and trance. Thanks for reading.

Nov 12, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #2 of 33
Recables are a waste of money. They are tweaks and not sound signature changers. Since you mention your dislike for the highs, an HF2 should be right up your ally. It is a much more treble-tame headphone than the 325i, and the bass is great still. You will be spending more than your recable budget, but to me, it is not even up for debate.

Nov 12, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #3 of 33
I sincerely doubt that recabling will provide that much a difference to the overall SQ. You will have better luck picking up a complimentary amp such as a Eddie Current EE/SS or M^3. They have darker/warmer profiles and should help you SR-325i's more so. That said, I made the jump from SR-325is to HF-2 and I'm one happy camper!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #4 of 33
Hmmm...I guess I really asked the question since FWIR recables really change the sound signature of Sennheisers, I guess it isnt so much the case with Grados?

Nov 12, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent_Moler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm...I guess I really asked the question since FWIR recables really change the sound signature of Sennheisers, I guess it isnt so much the case with Grados?

Well, you will get different philosophies regarding recables. I am not much of a believer, but I base that more on the science on cables and less on my perception of hearing. It is one of the most heated topics here.

I'll put it this way: scientifically, you would need a cable with a TON of capacitance to roll off the highs you dislike on your 325i. I do not see that happening, but that is me. I also think the claims of recabling changes the sound of Senns ridiculous as well. I chalk it up to phsychoacoustics, but again, that is me and my tenancy to trust science more then other people's hearing.

It's your money, but I would bet you would be happier with the HF2 rather than take the chances of a recable.

Nov 12, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #6 of 33
yes i am feeling that way as well. It would have been nice to save a few dollars though, lol. But after I sell my grados, I'll just end up putting the paying what I was gonna pay to recable to get the HF 2s. It kind of breaks even I guess...

Nov 12, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent_Moler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes i am feeling that way as well. It would have been nice to save a few dollars though, lol. But after I sell my grados, I'll just end up putting the paying what I was gonna pay to recable to get the HF 2s. It kind of breaks even I guess...

Yep. You will probably want to act fast to get in on a sale from people who find that the sound is not for them. They usually sell for just over face value right now; however, discontinued Grados are known for price appreciation, so expediency is advised.

Nov 12, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #9 of 33
IMHO, HF2 is a tamed SR325i. Don't bother with recabling, just like roadtonowhere said, recabling is tweak.

Nov 12, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #10 of 33
HF-2, all the way. Awesome bass that isn't overwhelming, and beautiful smooth highs.

Nov 12, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #12 of 33
I'm with the others - get the HD800 and be done with it. Grados are overrated
evil_smiley.gif

(the Black Dragon recable on the K702, though - well, that's probably more of a Shelbyville thing).

Nov 12, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #13 of 33
Here's a less expensive suggestion: Sell your 325i; buy an MS2i.

The MS2i might be what you're looking for. If so, great. If not, sell it off and go the HF2 route. Takes more time, but you might end up saving some moolah.

Nov 12, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recables are a waste of money. They are tweaks and not sound signature changers. Since you mention your dislike for the highs, an HF2 should be right up your ally. It is a much more treble-tame headphone than the 325i, and the bass is great still. You will be spending more than your recable budget, but to me, it is not even up for debate.

x2 here. I wouldn't consider recabling a pair of cans in order to adjust a fundamental characteristic that I dislike. Recabling tweaks. I've since sold my HD650's and after recabling them, I got a tweak in performance. Not a fundamental change as you wish to get out of recabling the SR325is.

Nov 12, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #15 of 33
The HF2 has ridiculous, super-bass. It's my go-to can for bass. It easily overwhelms my HD 650 and JH13 in bass weight and slam, and I haven't even tape-modded the bowls yet. The treble is also ever-present but quite gentle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back