Recable and Headphone value.
Aug 4, 2011 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MrBassmicks

New Head-Fier
  I have a pair of Alessandro MS2 headphones and I love the sound. One of my biggest complaints about these is the cable, its thick and heavy. I've thrown around the idea of putting in a new cable myself (I'm not a master but I have soldered many times before). My concern with doing this is, how would this affect the value. Personally I would be  kind of weary about buying a cable that some random person took apart and soldered in. But looking at the for sale section, custom work seems to increase the value of headphones. 
blink.gif

I'm not necessarily planning to sell these ever but maybe one day I will. I'd like to know that I'm not going to ruin the value.
So, what would increase and decrease the value of headphones in terms of what mods have been done? 
If I do change the cable, should I go for a certain brand or look or what?

Aug 4, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 8
Whatever dude.  I've seen people use cables that cost more than the dang headphones, Mogami with or without nylon braid sleeving seems to be the most common kind; I think a guy around here posted pictures of his SR325is recabled with IEM cable?
I don't think it is worth it to try and increase the value of the headphone with a recable.  I don't think people will pay the full value of the cable apart from the used value of the headphone, if I am not mistaken.

Lastly, if you get that stock cable off without issues, I might be interested in taking it off of your hands. 
biggrin.gif

PM me.

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 8
People always lose money on mods. They never sell for what people put into them.

And quite a few of us are leery about buying modded gear. Generally, I only buy stock gear.

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
People always lose money on mods. They never sell for what people put into them.

And quite a few of us are leery about buying modded gear. Generally, I only buy stock gear.

I didn't expect to get my money back, I just don't want to get less money for my gear than I would if it was stock. And I bet there's a lot of other people that would not buy modded headphones.

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #5 of 8
Looking over the FS forum, it seems like people do ask for more for certain mods. Do they get it? Hard to tell.

It being a diy from a low count poster might (sad to say) be a factor, unless you could show people that they could trust your work, is my guess.

Aug 4, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 8
Mods never pay for themselves... My suggestion, do what makes you happy and dont worry about resale... keep them long enough that you dont care what they are worth.

Aug 5, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 8
(coughs)... Sometimes mods do sell for what you paid for them... I just sold a modded pair of headphones and broke about even, maybe even made a few dollars. And I just broke even on another aftermarket cable.. However, if I was to try to sell certain modded headphones, i'd certainly take a loss. It all depends man. 

In your specific case, I'd expect to probably take a net loss.. Basically your headphone value will go down, but if you replace it with a nice silver cable, it will add value in the price of the cable. Overall, you will lose money when you go to sell them. Unless you get a particularly good deal on the cable...

On to cables, Personally I leave grados/allesandros stock, unless i want them to be more transportable. I didn't really see any difference with the silver recables I have done. But, just my .02. 

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Mods never pay for themselves... My suggestion, do what makes you happy and dont worry about resale... keep them long enough that you dont care what they are worth.

This is what I plan to do. After all they are mine, I'm going to do whatever I want with them. But like i said I don't plan to sell these any time soon; I can imagine if I did sell I'd miss the sound and buy another pair. 
biggrin.gif

But I made this thread just to get a feel for what peoples limits are and how many people are even willing to buy modded headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back