Rebuilding the old school Hifiman headband
Jan 12, 2023 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

msing539

Headphoneus Supremus
So I'm not a DIYer and also not great at documenting everything, but maybe this will still help someone. I picked up a modded HE-5LE (LFF Code LEX) from a great Headfier, but it was definitely showing its age and I wanted to bring some life back to it.

First issue was the headband, which was pancaked, worn out, and the attachments weren't strong. One actually came off on me and it's impossible to get back on from the outside.

0108231220.jpg

The way these are constructed, the screws holding the round adjustment parts are on the inside of the leather. Meaning they must have screwed it together and then hand stitched the leather up.

0108231229c.jpg

Here you can see the two screws that hold everything. They're tiny, maybe 1/2" in length.

0108231236.jpg

And this is how the inside of the headband is constructed. A piece of material to give it the width, some mesh, a thin piece of foam. The metal band is sandwiched between those and the entire thing wrapped in thin leather.

0108231242.jpg

This part I didn't photograph because it was a pain, but here's the end result.

0112231352b.jpg

In this case, I wanted to retain the OG headband look, not swap it with a newer version. I can't sew, I'm not a leather worker, and don't have all the tools necessary to do this task better. So what I did was purchase the sheepskin Accessory House Global headband made for the Grado PS500/1000/2000, etc. shown here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QT8K6D4

It's open on both ends. When that arrived, I slid the metal Hifiman headband inside and used a razor blade to cut the threads back carefully, so I could expose the screw holes on the metal band. If you do this, you have to blade towards the top of the headband, not the padded part--if you cut into the padded part, just toss the headband and buy another one... it's trash. Then I marked the tiny holes and punched through the leather from the inside out. After that, I sourced new 1/2" screws and attached the round parts. Then I test fitted everything and finally glued the AHG ends back up. The metal frame is not original--it's from one of John Massaria's R7DX. I'm not sure if my 5LE had its band replaced at some point or not, but my original hardware was painted black.

It's not perfect, but I think it's a lot better than where I started, and it still keeps that classic Hifiman look. Should this break down the line, it's just a matter of opening up the ends of the leather headband and reattaching.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 9
Cool project. Nice job!

Jan 12, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks @ST33L !

Frustrating, I don't really recommend anyone do it unless they're comfortable sewing.

Jan 12, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 9
You must have really loved the Hifiman that these go on. I can't even imagine myself going through this whole process.

Jan 12, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #5 of 9
You must have really loved the Hifiman that these go on. I can't even imagine myself going through this whole process.

Lol, they're an LFF Code LEX. Not many in existence so it's worth the effort.

Jan 13, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #6 of 9
My 5LE was rarely used by its prior owners (looks mint). It's got a pretty rocky FR featuring some hard core brightness in the treble, I would love to have it LFF'd. That fellow seems to have retired, wish he'd share the process.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #7 of 9
My 5LE was rarely used by its prior owners (looks mint). It's got a pretty rocky FR featuring some hard core brightness in the treble, I would love to have it LFF'd. That fellow seems to have retired, wish he'd share the process.
When he did it, he glued his entire mod together--the driver is essentially a pancake, and there's no inspecting the work without destroying it. Haven't heard the stock 5LE, but the LEX is more organic and natural sounding than the HE-5.

Jan 13, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #8 of 9
When he did it, he glued his entire mod together--the driver is essentially a pancake, and there's no inspecting the work without destroying it. Haven't heard the stock 5LE, but the LEX is more organic and natural sounding than the HE-5.
Big fan of the HE-6, 500, 4. The 5LE seems like they were on the way to the 6, and about 12-15% of the time punches like the 6 screw. Other times the treble reminds me of a German can with a couple of +7 db spikes in the treble.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #9 of 9
Big fan of the HE-6, 500, 4. The 5LE seems like they were on the way to the 6, and about 12-15% of the time punches like the 6 screw. Other times the treble reminds me of a German can with a couple of +7 db spikes in the treble.
I've been listening to the HE-5 and I think my DAC smooths over the treble harshness.

Same with the LFF--I can't say for sure how much is the headphone and how much is my setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back