Rebuilding earbuds, and I'm having trouble finding good cables.
Apr 3, 2014 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

fefrie

New Head-Fier
Hello all.

I have a pair of comply-in the ear earbuds that i've modified with custom silicone tips.  

Fit is good and they're comfortable and the sound is decent for talk, and so so for music.  The noise isolation is fantasic.

Trouble is though that the original wires that came with them hardened quite quickly to body oils.

So they harden and lose flexibility and break, or look really goofy holding some sort of weird shape.

What I've been doing is rebuilding the earbuds with earbuds that I buy from Dealextreme.

The problem is that the one with the decent cable comes with one earbud wire shorter than the other, plus it comes with a standard straight through plug.

The quality of the wire is great though, I just wish that it had equal earbud lengths and came with a right angle plug.

Does anybody have any recomendations where I can buy a good black earbud wires with a good plug, or am I going to have to build something?

Apr 3, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 7
I can vouch for the cables on these. They lasted me 5 years of daily use and counting, the buds that is. I'm just saying that if you're combining cables, these have nice cables. The buds themselves aren't bad either. They're 3.6 ft by  the way.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RPHJE120K-In-Ear-Headphone-Black/dp/B003EM8008/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396572865&sr=8-1&keywords=panasonic+earbuds

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 7
My usual donor cable of choice is the MEElec M2, not exactly black but I like the quality of it.

im716-2.jpg

Apr 4, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 7
These look like good build quality, but they're sold out.  Plus they look like the PVC type of coating. I'm looking for more of the rubbery straight type...

Apr 4, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #6 of 7
  I can vouch for the cables on these. They lasted me 5 years of daily use and counting, the buds that is. I'm just saying that if you're combining cables, these have nice cables. The buds themselves aren't bad either. They're 3.6 ft by  the way.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RPHJE120K-In-Ear-Headphone-Black/dp/B003EM8008/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396572865&sr=8-1&keywords=panasonic+earbuds

What kind of plug is it?  Right angle?

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 7
Indeed they are right angle. You can see for yourself, as there are plenty of customer pictures of them on Amazon. Something neat you could do as well is give your earbuds hanging detachable cables. Here's my DIY tutorial for using SOL REPUBLIC cables. The process would be the same for earbuds, but you would need to find a small circular female jack to wrap and reinforce with heat-shrink. You could also just use the cable and solder it directly without the detachable jacks, but I wouldn't recommend the SOL REPUBLIC cables for this, as they are not known to be especially durable. So many options when it comes to cables...

www.head-fi.org/t/710451/audio-technica-ath-sj55-removable-cable-mod-with-sol-republic-cable#post_10367267

Users who are viewing this thread

Back