Rebel XT or D40 or Other?
Feb 29, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not quite. It's about $400 difference between the kits here so it's not a small difference.

Maybe you are thinking of D40x?

Wow really? I just checked my best online shop here in Sydney, the price for

- D80 body: AUS$ 945
- D40X body: AUS$ 725.
-D200 body: AUS$ 1529

But then again, this shop is much much cheaper than the cheapest shop around here.

Mar 2, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #33 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow really? I just checked my best online shop here in Sydney, the price for

- D80 body: AUS$ 945
- D40X body: AUS$ 725.
-D200 body: AUS$ 1529

But then again, this shop is much much cheaper than the cheapest shop around here.

ah see D40x vs D40. I thought the only thing difference with the d40x was just a higher MP count, therefore not worth getting. That goes to say the same thing about the new D60, at least according to ken rockwell.

Mar 6, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, I don't mean to thread-crap, but I have a question that I think the OP might also be interested in.
I am in exactly the same boat as the OP and on my search for the right camera I came across an alternative that never gets mentioned here: Olympus E-410/510. One of the reasons I am attracted to it is that it offers the possibility to take pictures using the LCD display. I find it often advantageous to be able to take pictures while looking at my subject without a camera in front of my face... Plus I find it often easier to assess the composition of a picture from a display than through a viewer.
My question: why is the Olympus never mentioned/discussed here? Is it very inferior for some reason?

OH good point! I forgot that with DSLR's you have to use the viewfinder. I did not know of any that let you take pics with the LCD. Thanks for the tip!

Mar 6, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #36 of 46
+1 for Canon .... but I've never tried a Nikon so take that with a grain (or more) of salt
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #37 of 46
After looking up some of the cameras, the Nikon D40 has a CCD sensor
frown.gif
and the Rebel XT has a CMOS sensor
smily_headphones1.gif
I do know that CMOS sensors are better than CCDs.

Mar 10, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After looking up some of the cameras, the Nikon D40 has a CCD sensor
frown.gif
and the Rebel XT has a CMOS sensor
smily_headphones1.gif
I do know that CMOS sensors are better than CCDs.

It doesn't really make a whit of a difference in the pictures produced. The lenses matter so much more, in this case.

Mar 10, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #39 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by SenjStevo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats a good used camera for between £200-£250? I want to get my first real camera without spending huge. I've been looking on ebay and a Olympus EVOLT E-500 DSLR kit or a CANNON 300D kit seem the likely options.

Any suggestions?

Beware that it's really slow and the LCD is puny. I have one. I don't like four thirds though, so personally I wouldn't get that. I would save up to get the 20D at least, plus a cheap 18-55 first, then a 17-40 L in the near future. If that's really too much of a stretch, then get the 300D's successor, the 350

Apr 1, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #41 of 46
Im also in the same boat. I cant decide between Canon or Nikon. Digital photography is new to me, but seems like a great hobby to learn. I also dont want to spend that much money right from the beginning. I may go with the XTi as it seems more user friendly and beginner driven with lots of room to expand.

Apr 1, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #42 of 46
Do your research and decide which company do you want to go in the long run. Rebel xt is actually pretty good, unlike d40, you won't have any problem using autofocus function on older lens. So if you go on canon, Rebel series is quite capable and won't have any restriction on lens.

Nikon on the other hand, put restriction on d40 and d60 which made them unable to use the autofocus function on older lens. It's better to get d80 or if you're willing to go used, d50 or d70.

Apr 1, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #43 of 46
The best advice I can give you is get the cheapest canon, or nikon SLR you can stand. Then use the rest of the money on some good L glass for canon, I don't know what nikon calls their good glass. But I would go with Canon.....

Jacob

Mar 18, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #44 of 46
Old thread bump...

3 weeks ago I got my Tax return. Just by chance I walked into Fred Meyers for...something I forget now. But as I was walking out of the Electronics dept, I saw this little area of Clearance items. There was a sign that said Extra 30% off lowest marked Clearance price. And I to my astonishment, there was a Nikon D40!

Yada-yadda-yadda, I got it for 30% off $479.97 = $335.98

img8408nikond40.jpg

img8409nikond40.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back