Rebel Amp
Sep 17, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #181 of 296
I will be doing that comparison very soon. My current amps are:
1) Little Dot Mark 9
2) Violectric V220
3) iFi Pro iCAN (magical pairing with the HE6se V2's)

Hopefully my trading partner gets my amp on its way today. Monday is a holiday in Canada, so getting it by next weekend is tight/probably not happening. But soon...

Sep 17, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #182 of 296
So the rebel amp will work well with the HE6SE v2?
It would be nice to compare rebelamp vs other amps for he6se
As I stated above, I have compared the Revel Audio RebelAmp to my Questyle CMA Twelve and My Headamp GS-X Mini while using HifiMan HE6se V2.
RebelAmp + HifiMan HE6se V2 = Dreamy refined treble in the higher frequencies.
Headamp GS-X Mini + HifiMan HE6se V2 = Pronounced brightness. Pronounced imaging.
Questyle CMA Twelve + HifiMan HE6se V2 = Pure clean midrange. Rounded, takes the edge off for some tracks.
Any of these three amplifiers sound absolutely amazing with the HifiMan HE6se V2. Not one of them outperforms the other with the HE6se V2. I am just as happy using the RebelAmp as when using either of the more expensive amplifiers with this headphone.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #183 of 296
Hello all! I found this thread by scrolling through all the amplifier posts looking for anything that wasn’t Topping or SMSL or any other of those I am sure excellent products that measure miraculous and sound about as interesting as their specs! So you know where I am coming from, something a bit different, great value, cult following, you know… :smile:

I’ve recently picked up a set of HiFiMan Edition XS planar headphones and I’m blown away! I’ve never tried planars before and I’m hooked… so my current headfi system is a Soncoz QXD1 DAC and my headphone amp is a SPL Phonitor One, all is fine but I just wondered as I’ve had the electronics for a while if the Rebel Amp might be an upgrade or just a sideways shift? I do find the XS‘s a little bright occasionally on piano and such (mostly listen to classical) and would go to a more expensive amp, ut there doesn’t seem much about until you get int over £1000 area where I’m not ready to go yet. Schiit is out as I’m in the UK, but supporting Ukraine would be a grand idea!

Any input most appreciated whilst I am in a buying mood… 😎👍

PS. I just tried HiFiMan EF400 and came away seriously underwhelmed, the problem is not too many folk have heard the SPL gear so it’s hard to compare I know, but the Phonitor One was considerably more detailed and subtle.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #184 of 296
Got my new-to-me amp today. I also got my new audio rack which I have to assemble in the next few hours.
Looking forward to trying this out.

20220922_144235~2.jpg

Sep 22, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #187 of 296
Nice!

Feeling the affects of Fiona, Shane?
It's windy and wet but it's not supposed to hit us full until tomorrow night. Have to make sure my power bars, DAP's and phones are all charged up. :relaxed:

Sep 22, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #188 of 296
Nice!

Feeling the affects of Fiona, Shane?
Off topic, but how are you enjoying your MK9? I ran a new set of headphones (Radiance) through it the other day and it was great.

I will be doing an amp comparison in the coming weeks. I am trying to cut back everywhere.

Sep 22, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #189 of 296
Interesting about the Rebel Amp...it's home page says:

"RebelAmp is based on AMB Laboratories technology published by Ti Kan (www.amb.org), and is used with permission."

Know that amb (Ti Kan) designed some incredible amps. I still have 2x portable amps that he designed. He used to RULE around here when this site was primarily DIY, before that low life wipe known as NwAvGuy (who has since fallen off the face of the earth, as all nasty trolls do) made it his goal in life to spread FUD about Ti Kan's designs and products.

I also owned a desktop amp designed by amb and foolishly sold it. It was a really good, too and wish I had kept that amp.

Hope the Rebel, is designed around the amb PPA v2 that I owned, and loved.

Cheers...

Sep 22, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #190 of 296
Hope the Rebel, is designed around the amb PPA v2 that I owned, and loved.

It's essentially an M3. Except with a dual rail PSU, no rail splitter, and no virtual buffered ground. Not sure on which OPAMP it uses for voltage gain.

Sep 22, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #191 of 296
It's essentially an M3. Except with a dual rail PSU, no rail splitter, and no virtual buffered ground. Not sure on which OPAMP it uses for voltage gain.

Yes, confirmed with the Rebel guys...that is it basically the M3. Most assuredly, it will sound very nice, indeed. I would like to see one with the bass boost option, too :)

Sep 22, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #192 of 296
Off topic, but how are you enjoying your MK9? I ran a new set of headphones (Radiance) through it the other day and it was great.

I will be doing an amp comparison in the coming weeks. I am trying to cut back everywhere.
@Shane D - Yes I hear you on trying to cut back, then what happens? A brand NEW AMP arrives!

MK9 is enjoyed with the ZMF Aeolus using 12SL7 TS BGRP, w/early NOS TDA 1541 DAC - (rare instance where a DAC makes a nice difference) mighty beefy!
Also love my OG Shanling M6 with the Focal Elear's!!

Now back to regular programming :wink:

Sep 23, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #193 of 296
Finally got my Rebel hooked up. It is pretty big. Nice sound! The bass is pretty solid. To use my Elex's, I had to go to mid-gain and I hang around 10:00.

Attachments

• 20220923_162714.jpg
    20220923_162714.jpg
    1,010.8 KB · Views: 0
Sep 23, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #194 of 296
Just a few hours of playing so far. About to shut down for the night and watch the ball game.
I am comparing this amp to my Violectric V220 (think stripped down V281).
Biggest thing that stands out to me is that the Rebel is cleaner, sharper, more crisp. The V220 is a warm amp with a soft sound, to me. I was going through Bywater Call, Crosses and now Dave Matthews. The vocals, the horns and the drum strikes are very clear on the Rebel amp. I think this amp may compare more, sound wise, to my iFi Pro iCAN in Tube mode.

Today was all Elex's. I think tomorrow will bring on the SR2's. I am really liking the sound of this amp, but it may just be "shiny new toy syndrome". :smile:

I have nothing on for tomorrow and if I still have power after Hurricane Fiona (likely a tropical store by the time it reaches here), I want to listen to this thing all day. For the right price, this is a pretty cool amp.

Sep 23, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #195 of 296
Just a few hours of playing so far. About to shut down for the night and watch the ball game.
I am comparing this amp to my Violectric V220 (think stripped down V281).
Biggest thing that stands out to me is that the Rebel is cleaner, sharper, more crisp. The V220 is a warm amp with a soft sound, to me. I was going through Bywater Call, Crosses and now Dave Matthews. The vocals, the horns and the drum strikes are very clear on the Rebel amp. I think this amp may compare more, sound wise, to my iFi Pro iCAN in Tube mode.

Today was all Elex's. I think tomorrow will bring on the SR2's. I am really liking the sound of this amp, but it may just be "shiny new toy syndrome". :smile:

I have nothing on for tomorrow and if I still have power after Hurricane Fiona (likely a tropical store by the time it reaches here), I want to listen to this thing all day. For the right price, this is a pretty cool amp.

*ghostly voice* you want to open the amp and see what the OPAMPs are *ghostly voice*

PS, stay safe in Halifax tonight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back