Rebel Amp
Jul 17, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #31 of 296
I keep watching reviews to convince myself I need this. There was 1 bad review on youtube. I downvoted it.

Also, from Ukraine, so its kind of a home team thing. I just need it.

Thinking of all the setup possibilities but the backorder is making me sick.
Can you pass a link to the bad review? Literally seen nothing but positive reviews, genuinely genius now.

Jul 17, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #32 of 296
Can you pass a link to the bad review? Literally seen nothing but positive reviews, genuinely genius now.
Rebel Audio RebelAmp - Handmade European Luxury

I think he's talking about no theme reviews... he has been pretty critical of some very well-known and loved brands but at least he's honest about his opinions. He is kind of infamous amongst the YouTube reviewers but seems to have a bit of a cult following. I have seen too many positive reviews to think that this amp is as problematic as he makes it out to be. Max Settings also seems honest and has really thorough reviews. He praised the Rebel Amp like crazy. Resolve praised it as well and has literally no incentive to do so afaik.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #33 of 296

this jerk

whined about the restocking fee, shipping costs to return it, said the Schiit Magni was better, etc

"The difference between Class A and Class AB circuitry has no material effect on performance with headphones"

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #34 of 296
this jerk

whined about the restocking fee, shipping costs to return it, said the Schiit Magni was better, etc

"The difference between Class A and Class AB circuitry has no material effect on performance with headphones"

Oh he's one of the SINAD/measurement chasers, I watched a video of him one time saying a $400 DAC was worse than a $200 because measures close to same etc.

6:27 - "Amplifiers and DAC's have no effect on soundstage"

That basically lets us know all we need about that person's rebel amp review.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #35 of 296
Oh he's one of the SINAD/measurement chasers, I watched a video of him one time saying a $400 DAC was worse than a $200 because measures close to same etc.

6:27 - "Amplifiers and DAC's have no effect on soundstage"

That basically lets us know all we need about that person's rebel amp review.
but its a fact that remains untarnished, are you attempting to tarnish this fact?

--
he then says its neutral (Zeos says its warm, different enough to be in his on-hand lineup) and that your experience will be the same as with any other amp (lolwhat?)

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #36 of 296
he then says its neutral (Zeos says its warm, different enough to be in his on-hand lineup) and that your experience will be the same as with any other amp (lolwhat?)
It always confuses me when reviewers say stuff like this. I think I saw Joshua Valour say something similar once, about the Asgard 3 maybe? Something to the effect of "all solid state amplifiers should sound the same, otherwise something has gone wrong." Like, okay, the differences can seem subtle compared to the difference between headphones, but it all adds up in the end.

I was IN LOVE with the RebelAmp when I had it. I didn't find it to have crazy amounts of detail, like MaxSettings said in his review (compared with the Gilmore Lite Mk2 anyway), but I did find the mid bass slightly boosted with a really pleasant bloom, a slight rolloff in the sub bass, a sweet-sounding midrange, and with pretty non-fatiguing highs. The dynamic range was fantastic, but it just didn't have the impact I wanted, maybe because the increased soundstage made everything seem a bit farther away, so I eventually ended up with an FA-10 instead. A bit more pricey, but it definitely has the edge in imaging, layering, and detail, while the RebelAmp still had the bigger soundstage and warmer mid bass.

I can see why someone like Zeos would keep it around. It's a very fun and unique sound. I hope you get a chance to hear one someday!

Jul 18, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #37 of 296
It always confuses me when reviewers say stuff like this. I think I saw Joshua Valour say something similar once, about the Asgard 3 maybe? Something to the effect of "all solid state amplifiers should sound the same, otherwise something has gone wrong." Like, okay, the differences can seem subtle compared to the difference between headphones, but it all adds up in the end.

I was IN LOVE with the RebelAmp when I had it. I didn't find it to have crazy amounts of detail, like MaxSettings said in his review (compared with the Gilmore Lite Mk2 anyway), but I did find the mid bass slightly boosted with a really pleasant bloom, a slight rolloff in the sub bass, a sweet-sounding midrange, and with pretty non-fatiguing highs. The dynamic range was fantastic, but it just didn't have the impact I wanted, maybe because the increased soundstage made everything seem a bit farther away, so I eventually ended up with an FA-10 instead. A bit more pricey, but it definitely has the edge in imaging, layering, and detail, while the RebelAmp still had the bigger soundstage and warmer mid bass.

I can see why someone like Zeos would keep it around. It's a very fun and unique sound. I hope you get a chance to hear one someday!

great, now i dont know if i want a Flux instead lol

The site confuses the hell out of me, theres the 10, 12, 22, all different prices, all identical visually

Jul 18, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #38 of 296
great, now i dont know if i want a Flux instead lol

The site confuses the hell out of me, theres the 10, 12, 22, all different prices, all identical visually
Lol I know, it's pretty confusing.

The short version is: the FA-10 is an internally single ended 16-watt (!!!!) amp with a very transparent sound and big soundstage, the FA-12 is a 2.6 watt internally balanced amp with a more colored sound profile (boosted bass and sparkly highs), and the FA-22, which they just released, is internally single ended, 2.5 watts, and somewhere in between the other two in terms of sound. All pure class A, like the RebelAmp, and all with XLR and SE inputs and outputs. The only thing is there is no line out on any of them, like with the RebelAmp...except for the the FA-12S, which is a single ended version of the FA-12.

If you want more information, just write them. They're extremely responsive and will recommend just the right amp for your needs.

I'd be super curious about the difference between the RebelAmp and the FA-12S actually, since they come in at the same price point.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #39 of 296
great, now i dont know if i want a Flux instead…
It seems that your headphone amplifier needs are in a state of flux 😆

Jul 18, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #40 of 296
Jul 23, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #41 of 296
FA-12 is a 2.6 watt internally balanced amp with a more colored sound profile (boosted bass and sparkly highs), and the FA-22, which they just released, is internally single ended, 2.5 watts, and somewhere in between the other two in terms of sound. Al

I'd be super curious about the difference between the RebelAmp and the FA-12S actually, since they come in at the same price point.

So between the 12S and 22, both are internally single ended, both same wattage, but the 12S has a pre-out and is $250....less?? What am I missing about the 22 that makes it 50% more expensive?

I'm also interested in the Rebel vs 12S comparison now too....odd that Zeos spent 30 minutes on this and didnt compare the sound, just passing reference to the build style. He says it sounds great, might be on his desk permanently as a review reference amp and the Rebel amp as his daily driver. I guess that kind of speaks for itself, though.

Jul 23, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #42 of 296
So between the 12S and 22, both are internally single ended, both same wattage, but the 12S has a pre-out and is $250....less?? What am I missing about the 22 that makes it 50% more expensive?

I'm also interested in the Rebel vs 12S comparison now too....odd that Zeos spent 30 minutes on this and didnt compare the sound, just passing reference to the build style. He says it sounds great, might be on his desk permanently as a review reference amp and the Rebel amp as his daily driver. I guess that kind of speaks for itself, though.
Yeah my mistake...the FA-22 is 5 watts into 32 ohms, while the FA-12S (not the FA-12) is 2 watts into 32 ohms. But don't get the FA-12 and FA-12s confused either. I would guess, from the size of the enclosure being the same on the FA-10, FA-12, and FA-22, that there's something inherently higher-end them (the FA-12 being balanced, the FA-10 being very high-powered, and the FA-22 striking a balance between them), compared with the smaller enclosure of the FA-12S.

You can find all this information on their website too, but I would really recommend just writing them for more information. I'm just a guy who is happy with my FA-10, and likely won't ever try any of their other models.

Aug 20, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #43 of 296
For anyone waiting on a restock email, those never went out. They are back in black, and back in green. I nabbed a black one.

Aug 24, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #44 of 296
Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 2.19.16 PM.png

r35lt7j2dxb31.png

It's only been 6 days as a label...

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #45 of 296
PXL_20210831_174707186.jpg

so this came in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back