Reassembaling an ipod
Apr 8, 2005 at 2:46 PM Post #16 of 29
Yeah but by the time you use the battery it will be worthless. At least you get a hard drive. Eh
redface.gif

Apr 8, 2005 at 2:55 PM Post #17 of 29
wow. the construction is fairly similar to my 3g's. you would have to be pretty careless to do that kind of damage, as the construction as actually fairly solid considering the sizes used. you might have a bit of luck putting a tiny drop of conductive adhesive on each contact point and VERY carefully lining the socket up with the contact points. VERY CAREFULLY. it might be worth a try, as i don't think it's going to be very viable to get the thing repaired. alternatively, the parts might be worth something. if the hard drive is still useable, which it probably is, it might get a surprisingly large amount of money on ebay, as replacement 1.8" drives are fairly hard to get individually.

Apr 8, 2005 at 3:24 PM Post #18 of 29
Assemble by doing in reverse order. Nah, just kidding don't know.

Apr 8, 2005 at 3:41 PM Post #19 of 29
Without those pictures I'd have thought you were a week late with April fools.
Seem like your friend isn't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer? Anyway, finds a 400$ device, doesn't turn it in and messes it up within a couple of days. Can't say I feel sorry for him...

Apr 8, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #20 of 29
You know, he could be sneaky, and assemble the case and everything, then try to RMA it with apple. With just a tiny bit of luck, he could get a refurb or something that does work!

Apr 8, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #21 of 29
That will never work. They will know he was in there.

Apr 8, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #22 of 29
The second connector looks like it's been clean ripped off the board!! That's probably not fixable, sorry. I recently decided to disassemble my MZ-S1 as the backlight wasn't functioning correctly. Sony decided to make it real easy to take apart, but they did do something REALLY stupid. (56 warning)

Apr 8, 2005 at 4:57 PM Post #23 of 29
It's gone Jerb. It looks like that he managed to rip off some the pads for the connector so you don't have any surface connections for the ribbon. I macro picture would show whether or not all the pads are still there, it's hard to tell if the shiny areas are the pads that are still left or is just light reflecting off of solder and that the duller areas are pads that have had the solder ripped off. Either way he really screwed it up, it takes a good amount of force to rip off that many soldered connections. The best way I've found for soldering those kinds is to use a liquid solder and an iron that uses hot air. Makes the whole process relatively painless once you get a few hours of soldering under your belt.

Apr 8, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #24 of 29
They would definatly know you had opened it if the wires were ripped all the way off the board. Theres no way for that to just happen, it cant happen if you drop it or something like that. The only way to do that is to open it up and rip wires, all in a attempt to fix something. I really cant imagine what was going through his mind when he did that, maybe something like, "Hey it froze. Damn. Ill just open it up here. Ooooohhh, pretty wires! You think ripping one will fix it?"
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #25 of 29
well apparently "he now someone who can fix this stuff" "they know ipods like the backs of their hands, and stuff" but i have a feeling it will be back with me in a week or so.

i got some quotes from online repair shops, 2 of them can do it (ipodmechanic and ipodmods) for ~$95 [assuming the Hd is still good, is there any way to test this?] thats not too bad for an ipod so i think im going to go that route, if all else fails il selling the HD and whatever else i can!(he fsked it up, im spending MY time getting it fixed therefore i will take all profit from HIS STUPIDITY)

Apr 9, 2005 at 5:55 AM Post #26 of 29
Do those repair places have warranties? If they do, then go for it and keep the Ipod. Your friend is a real dipsh*t.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 9, 2005 at 10:51 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerb
well apparently "he now someone who can fix this stuff" "they know ipods like the backs of their hands, and stuff" but i have a feeling it will be back with me in a week or so.

Yeah right. Ask him what the engineer said the damage is. Betcha he doesn't know, because he hasn't spoken to these "experts".

Bet you £10 he'll attempt to fix it himself, perhaps pour 1 pint of liquid solder into the ipod. That'll fix it :wink:

Quote:

[assuming the Hd is still good, is there any way to test this?]

You need a 1.8" to 3.5" adaptor, so then connect upto your PC..but AFAIK no such adaptor- need to build one up for yourself.

Apr 9, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #29 of 29
Ive B*tched at him for opening it up already so i dont think he's gonna do that again.

the ipod repair service im thinking about pursueing does have a 90 day warrenty. i plan on keeping the ipod

in order to have the 1/8 inch drive to work i need an adapter? i have to make it? any one know wher i can get a premade one or a guide to making one?

if the hard drive is dead i will sell the parts

lets see what he does, ill keep every one posted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back