Reassembaling an ipod
Apr 7, 2005 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

jerb

Headphoneus Supremus
My friend found an ipod (as noted in an earlier thread) and it worked! however he managed to freeze it and ratehr than be a sane person and just resetting it he decided to open it
rolleyes.gif
now he knows nothing about electronics and when he opened it (ive alredy yelled at him about it) he disconnected 2 ribbon wires (im assuming hard drive and battery) now ive reopened it 9theres no warrenty left to void. there are the two wires but i dont know where he pulled them from or if he damaged them.

any help or links to some tutorials?

Apr 7, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 29
Have not seen the insides of one of these, look and analyze what you see, as an example the cable may have labels ie connector 1 and jack 1 may be labeled J1 and C1 so those would connect together. Macro pictures would be very helpfull.

Apr 7, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #4 of 29
Which version iPod?

You may be able to tell a begining from clicking on 'installation instructions' for your model (or even another) here.

Apr 7, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 29
im sorry its a 4th gen 40 gig ipod.

there were two ribbon cables, one from the HD and one from the main board although(which appears to go to the 3.5 mm out section. there are no obvious sockets for eithr of these cables and there appears to be no damage to the main board itself.

i will try to get some pics up tonight

Apr 7, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 29
If it's only two cables I don't see the problem?

Most likely they'll be flat ribbon cable terminals, with a clamp either end. Push the clamps out, otherwise you won't be able to push the cable in . Push the clamp to lock cable in (doesn't come loose)

Possible if he's pulled with the clamp locked damaged the cable.

I opened up my H140, worked fine afterwards.

Apr 7, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #7 of 29
here are some pictures (as requested)

This is the cable that goes to the headphones section from the motherboard:

here is where that cable is supposed to go, you can see it in the reflection:

however i cannot get the ribbon cable in that socket due to where its located. i cant unscre the headphone section either because i dont have the right bit (very small 6 point star... Torx maybe?)

This is the ribbon cable comming off the toshiba hard drive:

and this is where ist supposed to go:

from what ive been able to gather theres supposed to be a section of black tape over the connector so i dont now if anything is torn
confused.gif

thanks again everyone

Apr 7, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #10 of 29
The connector needs to be soldered back on, and he's damaged the tracks as well. Basically going to be unworthwhile to repair, cost of labour alone will be more than a ipod.

There should be little clamps either side of the white connector, pull them out by ~2mm, that'll allow you to safetly pull the ribbon cable from the connector.

Like this..

http://dp.penix.org/projects/visor/ribbon.jpg

It'll be somewhere on the sides..use fingernail edge to pull clamps out (very small)

And what a non-knackered ipod looks like, although different gen :)
http://www.chipmunk.nl/iPod/

Apr 7, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #11 of 29
Haha! wow... That is some major damage. Well, if you have experience soldering, there might be an off-off-off-off chance you can save it...
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #12 of 29
You have to be VERY experienced to repair that, with the right tools. Good eyesight too :wink:

How on earth did he damage it? You really have to put quite a bit of force to rip off connector like that! Did he use a screwdriver under the connector?! Or just yank very hard on the ribbon cable? even then if you pull on the cable with the clamps down the ribbon should plop out before the connector is ripped off
confused.gif

My dad can fix this type of damage.

Apr 8, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #13 of 29
well he still says he didnt touch anything but knowing him...
rolleyes.gif

well ive sent my cry for help to a few different online repair shops so we'll see how it goes

im going to try n buy this carcass off my friend and pursue different options from there, necros, i shall keep you in mind if all else fails
cool.gif

Apr 8, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #15 of 29
maybe we'll have to see

(btw if you read the posts i never mentioned he was very bright)

but hey if it comes down to it i get a 1.8 40 gig hd and a replacement battery (hopefully)

rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back