Reasonable next step in my computer setup
Nov 19, 2009 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

snik

New Head-Fier
Hey guys

I'm afraid of my PC being a bottleneck in my new system. You see, I have a HEED CanAmp and a set of AKG K701's on my way, and I'll be using my PC as source.

The PC is pretty new, and is a pretty capable stationary rig, but it only has an onboard sound card. The onboard card does have optical/toslink out, though.

As I want to get the most out of my new components, would a decent (USB-)DAC be a reasonable purchase? Would I need another sound card as well, or can I use the optical out that's already on my board? If i've understood things right, the optical out bypasses the soundcards' mixer, and then everythings ok?

Nov 19, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 5
Assuming you want bitperfect, you'll need to use something like the WASAPI plug-in with Foobar to bypass the Windows Kmixer (the soundcard itself doesn't have one).

To get off onboard you could use either a USB DAC or a simple SPDIF one hooked to the toslink (or coax if it has one). As long as you don't use the motherboard's analog circuitry it's a step in the right direction.

Nov 20, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #5 of 5
Alright. A DAC it is then.
smily_headphones1.gif

Would a Valab DAC be a good match to my gear? I've read a bit about it here on the forums, and it seems like a good choice.. both performance and money-wise.

If not, are there any other DAC's i should consider in that price range? 200-300usd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back