Reason not to buy Shure 846
Sep 14, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #16 of 24

I couldn't have said this any better myself super +1 friend

But excited to hear your comparisons over your super burnt in 535 (I've extensivley listen to every shure model and have said my peace :p

Actually, I don't own the 535. I have heard them and I didn't find them competitive with the 846. Really in a different league.

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #17 of 24
  Actually, I don't own the 535. I have heard them and I didn't find them competitive with the 846. Really in a different league.

Shoulda tagged that better the comparison comment was primarily meant towards the thread starter :p. But I agree with you the 535's are truly astounding they really are but the 846 as you said are in a league of there own and IMO set a new standard for elite tier products to either drop their prices or upgrade the sound.

EW did I also forget to mention you can purchase a HD mic for the 846? Only product of that price that can have a mic option without any loss of quality (that at least I noticed).

Sep 16, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #18 of 24
Well..... 

After I had found back my SE535 I was able to do a comparison SE535 vs. SE846. Obviously the 846 was going to win but there's definitely something to say about bang-for-buck ratio. Whereas I found the SE215 really outstanding for only 100 bucks, the SE535, 4 times the price of the SE215 isn't really 4 times better. Just noticeable better in clarity and soundstage.

Same goes for the SE846. 2 times the price of the SE535 but ... not 2 times better. There are a few things that I've noticed:

- The SE535 has an overal thin base at given moments and lacks warmth because of that. Yet it's extremely clear in the mid range and great for vocals. I am not saying they haven't any base and that they're cold as ice, they just aren't base heavy.

- The SE846 is definitely a better pair and can be really breath taking when listening to some specific songs. I really enjoyed London Grammar because it's so smooth in the mids while having that warm low frequency at the same time. Also classic rock music like Queen. I have listened to a lot of genres and found the SE846 superior for all genres. Classical music sounds outstanding on the SE846.

Let me walk you trough some songs and what I have noticed

Queen - Save Me
0:00 - 46:00 Very clear vocals for both the SE535 and SE846. The SE535 is slightly brighter and perhaps a little bit more detailed than the SE846. But the SE535 lacks some warmth here because of having no serious lows. It only has 3 drivers. The SE846 has a fifth for "true sub-woofer performance".

0:47: here's where the SE846 comes in. Solid and rich base, not too overpowered with the blue tips. Vocals definitely remain while base is doing it's work. The highs are a little bit tamed here.

1:10 - 1:30 Very nice rounded base for the SE846 but a little bit too much for my taste. I think. The SE535 does a very good job here, actually! 

Toto - Arica.
This intro is really my benchmark for base. The SE846 is one hell of a swaggerer here. It's tight, it's heavy, it's aggressive, it's tangible. The SE535 does a very good job here too but quite modest. Some may even prefer the submissiveness of the SE535 here. Again, it's good base, just a little bit on the thin side and not so pounding as the SE846

London Grammar - Strong

0:18 - 0:43 - SE846 really shines. VERY warm and nice base.

0:42: base comes in and leaves immediately. Hannah Reid starts singing. This is the ultimate clarity test. Here's where I am not very impressed by the SE846 over the SE535. Vocals are obviously extremely sweet but the SE535 holds up very well because it doesn't need to show off base performance here. There isn't a very significant difference in sound quality here. SE535 has slightly more clarity here. The 846 just enhances the overal vocal experience with added warmth, which sometimes, in sake of the mids and highs. Of course this can be tweaked with custom filters and EQ.

So overal I can say that the SE846 are definitely better which is not a surprise because it's $400 vs. $999. SE535 will never beat the SE846 in terms of overal experience but it holds up really really well when it comes down to clarity and vocal quality. Again the SE846 surely can sound even better than the SE535 if you swap the filters to your taste and doing some AMP/EQ tuning.

But it's not that the SE846 puts the SE535 to shame. Most of the songs I have listened to did sound a lot better because of the SE846 base and warmth However, there are songs that did sound annoying on the SE846 because the base can be slightly growling. But that's more the way a song is mastered. Like some fellow mentioned earlier, the SE846 can be really dependent on the input. with the SE535 on the other hand sometimes you wished there was slightly more base at certain moments.

Overall.. After listening to the 846 for 4 days, I found that the SE535 sounded somewhat thin, which obviously is because of all of the bad ass base I have listened to.  But I didn't feel the need to keep the SE846 either. It's a hell of a bruiser when it comes down to lows while maintaining mids and highs like a champ, but it's not worth the additional $600!! Especially when it comes down to vocals, the SE535 isn't far ahead at all. There may be people who actually prefer the SE535 for vocals. Again, the SE846 can be a little too much sometimes and really exhausting for your ears! I had to give my ears some serious rest after 2 hours of SE846!

ANYWAY! Just my 2 cents people. 

Notes: All songs I've listened to were ripped straight from CD into ALAC! Songs above I listened on my Macbook Pro on iTunes without EQ and without any additional sound processor other than my Macbook.

Peace out :)

Sep 17, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #19 of 24
  From personal experience listening to a lot of elite tier IEM the 846 are by far the best I've heard BY FAR.

The W60s are fun to listen to but not smooth at all like shure. The mids are hyper aggressive as is the bass, the treble is pretty nice though from what I remember. 

The HK 3003is are wonderful in terms of build quality and being metal they stay very cool in your ear (temp wise) and sre similar to the shures in terms of silky smooth audio and interchangeable filters BUT they are not worth the 1-300 more price point (I personally think they should be priced at around 800 with 1k being MAX

I've been hearing exceptionally good things about Earwerkz and am looking into a pair of customs myself from them but I can't give any personal bias towards them just yet other than good feedback

As for reasons to not to buy one umm, you can't afford them. Cause honestly if you can they are worth it in every degree I can think of

Edit after reading your last post:

The bass is a LOT better on the 846 but if you're wanting more warmth and a little easier on the wallet look into the Sennheiser IE800

You should try a pair of  JH Angie out for a day or two if you get a chance.  I much prefer them to my 846's, but everyone has their own preferences.  They are in the same price category as well.

Sep 17, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #20 of 24
2 times the price and less bass.

Sep 17, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #21 of 24
2 times the price and less bass.

The universal Layla are 2 times the price, not the A&K Angie. If you are looking at the custom Angie then they are more, but the universal Angie is in the same price range as the 846. 

The Angie also has adjustable bass, which I find is around equal to the 846 at the 2 o'clock setting and you can go up to 5 o'clock for even more bass. I find anything past 2-3 o'clock is too much and I love bass and mids, which is why I have the 846.

The Angie was just a suggestion, as a few people on the Angie thread that own both, or have tried both prefer the Angie, even for the bass.  I'm sure there will be many that will prefer the 846, if everyone had the same preferences and taste they would only have to make one earphone for everyone and wheres the fun in that
beyersmile.png

Sep 17, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #23 of 24
  http://www.rhapsodio.com/products/iem/balanced-armature-series/
Start saving $1250 
biggrin.gif

Those look nice.  I'd love to try the universal version, but the Canadian dollar is too low now.  Hopefully it will climb back closer to the U.S. dollar next year.  They would be close to $1700 cnd.  
confused.gif

Sep 17, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #24 of 24

Users who are viewing this thread

Back