Realtek ACL888S do I need a DAC?
May 17, 2011 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

JAG07

New Head-Fier
I'm using a Lenovo Y650(don't make it anymore) Running Windows 7 64 bit. I have the Realtek ALC888S on board.
The website quotes the following: All DACs supports 44.1k/48k/96k/192kHz sample rate, Ten DAC channels support 16/20/24-bit PCM format.
Is this true? Do I really need a DAC? Because couldn't I output via the S/PDIF directly to an amp and just skip the DAC? Or am I incorrect. Because if I don't need one then I'll focus on an amp. 
Or does this mean I can put out from the S/PDIF to the DAC with higher possible rates?
Sorry for the noob questions. Thanks for any help.

May 18, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #2 of 4
That depends on your headphones.Potable headphones can benefit from additional DAC and AMP ,but usually it does well without them. And surely you cannot skip the DAC,if you wanna use a AMP, 'cause AMP does not accept digital signals which is sent via S/PDIF.

Hope my poor English is not a nightmare for you .

May 18, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #3 of 4
You can't output S/PDIF to an amp; S/PDIF is a digital format, amplifiers amplify analog signals, so you need to use a DAC somewhere (either onboard or external).

The general consensus is that onboard DACs, no matter what they are, are inferior to external DACs.

What amp you choose will depend on your headphones.

May 18, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #4 of 4
Some how that seems like a big old duh now that you mention the digital to analog conversion. Guess I thought it could go to Coaxial and work like that. Thanks for the help.

@Winnersan your English was fine. 

@Fallenangel I am planning on AKG K271 Mk II or Audio technica A700 or M50 (very different sounds characteristics but they seem to fit my criteria) Just need to try them out first. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back