REALLY vintage headphones...
Sep 11, 2006 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

MonkeyMan

100+ Head-Fier
I'm seriously thinking about rebuilding these with SR-60 drivers and a recable...
tongue.gif

Sep 11, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #3 of 15
Yeah, careful man. SR60s sound like poo if they're closed...

Sep 11, 2006 at 8:49 AM Post #5 of 15
Surely the problem with those military 'phones would be a horrific lack of comfort. Sure they'd look cool, but if you can't wear them without your ears hurting, then it doesn't matter if they sound like an orpheus, you've wasted your money on the re-driver/re-cabling.

Sep 11, 2006 at 8:53 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebay
Dear User:

Unfortunately, access to this particular category or item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in your home country. Based on our discussions with concerned government agencies and eBay community members, we have taken these steps to reduce the chance of inappropriate items being displayed. Regrettably, in some cases this policy may prevent users from accessing items that do not violate the law. At this time, we are working on less restrictive alternatives. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause you, and we hope you may find other items of interest on eBay.

Thank You.

Hit the return button to return to the previous page.

What the?
frown.gif

Sep 11, 2006 at 9:28 AM Post #7 of 15
youd probably have more fun modding a sr-60 by itself. those vintage phones have noting to salvage on it

Sep 11, 2006 at 1:03 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind
What the?
frown.gif

Vintage military headphones. Military being the operative word. There's probably a Netherlands/US deal that says that no military hardware goes between the two countries. Despite in this case it being about as useful to the military as a spud gun.

Sep 11, 2006 at 1:56 PM Post #10 of 15
The (eBay) often pulls ads for sale of cigars..........which are also, sometimes, rather far beyond "vintage". Ebay is often off somewhere in the bizarro zone.
BTW has anyone noticed the very steep decline of used headphone ads on eBay (as compared to last year's listings)?

Sep 11, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #13 of 15
Id be very surprised if you could fit a Grado driver into those. Also, the original drivers onside those headphones can if they havent been looked after well, go all rusty and manky, making dismantling the housings difficult if not impossible.

I look forward to seeing your efforts if you try thou. Good luck.

Sep 12, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #14 of 15
Yeah, I've got an old pair of phones that look very similar to those except with a leather headband. I got um free at a garage sale and have only used them with a Edison Talking Machine wax cylinder recorder. I kinda poked around with them but they are soooo painful to wear and heavy for the size,.. or for any sized headphones. I think there's probably about half a telephone's worth of bakelite in those 2 little earphones. But it is a very cool conversation piece . Do what I do with this old stuff that you don't really want to restore,.. put it in a place of honor in a display case and make up some totally crazy historical significance it has and print it on a little card beside it.( ie. " worn by Marcel Proust's personal secretary during typing of the now missing, long version of Remembrances of Things Past ")

Sep 12, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #15 of 15
Are you SURE those aren't actually a torture device? One can use a TRS plug for many things..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back