Really torn on which headphones to get.
Oct 24, 2014 at 4:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ImJustADemo

New Head-Fier
      Hello, I'm new here and thought this would be the best place to ask for help. I've been doing a lot of reading and comparing on headphones lately since I want to move forward. What I currently have is a Logitech G35 headset. It's been annoying to deal with for sometime due to either software or just the drivers in general. So I've been reading up on some guides for Headphones and DACs/Amps. Mostly I've been reading Mad Lust Envy's posts on headphones for gaming, which can be found here, http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-10-15-2014-beyerdynamic-t51i-added. I've dwindled it down to a couple pairs but still can't really decide which would be best. This is where I'm looking for help.

Now what I'm looking for is a pair of headphones which can be great for multiple things. I like my music, but I'm not a freak about it. I like being able to have bass (NOT a basshead :p), though not having to sacrifice a lot for it. I listen to plenty of different genres which is mostly Metal, Rock, Techno/Dubstep, and just general soundtracks from Animes or Games I've played/watched. I also love gaming and want to be immersed in the world but yet I love positional audio in which I can pick out details. I play competitive games like Battlefield, Counterstrike, and Call of Duty. But really, I love anything. I play mostly DayZ, Arma, LoL, and a lot of single player games like BioShock, Metro 2033, Deadspace, etc.. I want to be immersed in my singleplayer games but also being able to pick out the details I need when the time comes. If anyone plays DayZ they know how hearing someones steps, gunshots, or breathing can change how they live or die. But then they also don't want their weapons to sound bad or atmosphere to sound out of place either. I like my guns and explosions to have some kick to them, not just a clacking noise added on. Immersion and detail mean a lot to me when it comes to my games. I spend at least 6+ hours a day gaming, listening to music, or watching anime/movies so it's something I don't want to skimp out on. 

So I've picked out a couple that seem like they'd suit me and what has been recommended. But I honestly want to see opinions from personal experience out of the three and which one would best suit my tastes. I think I already know but I'm still a little bit skeptical. I haven't had much experience in the audio world but it's something I don't want to ignore. As for the price and budget goes I can expand if need be. I'll go up to or past 400-500 if needed, but if it's not absolutely necessary then I wont. I forgot to mention I'm a gamer on PC, I switched over from console where I used two headsets. Those were the Turtle Beach PX21 with the little bass booster box and the Turtle Beach X41. Finally I figured I'm done with headsets after I've became sick of my current pair of Logitech G35. Too many issues.
What I'm looking at so far comprise of these three headphones. 

Sennheiser HD598 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA22A1988272&cm_re=hd_598-_-26-106-522-_-Product

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro-250- http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-990-Pro-250-Professional-Acoustically-Applications/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

AKG K712 Pro- http://www.amazon.com/AKe-Headphones/dp/B00E4WXWBE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397508022&sr=8-1&keywords=k712+proG-Over-Ear-Mastering-Referenc

All these headphones can be found in the review I mentioned earlier at the top by Mad Lust. It seems like these would cater to what I want but I want a final verdict if possible. I can only find out if I buy one and try it out for a good amount of time. But what I'm also not sure on is what Amp or DAC to pair up with them. So far the only thing I've been recommended was the Fiio E10K DAC/Amp combo by a helpful fellow over on /r/audiophile (Reddit). I'm still not sure what is and what isn't the standard for a DAC or Amp. 

I think I've listed what I would like, but there might be something I've missed out on. But honestly any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated and considered. As for anyone who reads this, thanks for taking your time to look this over and possibly help me out! :)
                                                        Thanks - Demo :)

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #2 of 18
I use a vintage DT-990 for gaming (and music) - it's absolutely superb, can strongly recommend the Pros (similar to mine but more treble) for gaming and music.

If you DO go with them in the end, and you find the bass isn't strong enough, just put some some Philips SHP 2500/250/200 earpads. They are thinner and will bring your ears closer to the drivers increasing the bass slightly, although at the slight sacrifice of some soundstage and air (but its minor).
If you've got huge ears, this however might not work as your ears will touch the baffles.
(a new set of these philips headphones costs less than brand new beyerdynamic earpads)

I've only auditioned the other two, and would certainly recommend the HD598 over the AKG for music... no idea about gaming.

I also use a self-modified Fostex T20RP MKII for gaming, and it's also VERY good - provides more isolation from outside noise than the Beyers, but are somewhat less comfortable and heavier.
For it's closest siblings you'd be looking at a modded Fostex T50RP MKII, such as the MrSpeakers Mad Dog.
Or if you're a tinkerer, save some $$$ and mod it yourself!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements

I can strongly recommend the paxmate lattice mod for outstanding isolation (table of contents number 22)
And the Nick N make-up remover memory foam mod for outstanding everything, but less isolation (number 21)

Oct 24, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 18
Thanks for giving feedback so fast! But I'm not much of a tinkerer and wouldn't want to mess around with my first pair that will be my only pair. As for the Beyer 990s what would I drive them with? What DAC/Amp combo or DAC and Amp chain would I use?

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 18
  Thanks for giving feedback so fast! But I'm not much of a tinkerer and wouldn't want to mess around with my first pair that will be my only pair. As for the Beyer 990s what would I drive them with? What DAC/Amp combo or DAC and Amp chain would I use?

I think the DT 990 would be a good Choice, I used to use mine for Gaming.

as far as Dac Amp Combos... get the Schiit Modi and Vali, about $230 for both, just add shipping. The DT 990 Pro is at $229 right now, so that might top you out on your budget, you mentioned you are a gamer, so maybe check the Head Fi for Sale Boards for a used DT 990 and take the cash you save and get a Sound Card with some Nice Surround Sound Effects, in you get a sound card use the Optical out of it, and get an Optical In Schiit Modi 

Here's a couple links on the Head Fi For sale boards with a DT 990 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/736111/beyerdynamic-dt-990-pro-250-ohm $165
http://www.head-fi.org/t/739384/fs-beyerdynamic-dt990-600ohm $180 [The 600 Ohm DT 990 will be just fine for the Schiit Vali] 

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 18
  You mention a soundcard for surround sound effects. I thought you could get software for that? 

Yea usually your Sound Card comes with said software, if you use Software enhancements you'll need to use optical out into a dac 

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 18
Ok so I don't have a soundcard besides the onboard audio with my mobo. So I would need to buy a seperate soundcard to get DH or CMSS to run on the DT990's? And as for the Modi/Vali combination, how does that work? You plug in the optical/usb into the Modi and take two audio cables and route them to the amp? And of course plug your headphones into the amp? I actually have an optical out on my board.

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #8 of 18
  Ok so I don't have a soundcard besides the onboard audio with my mobo. So I would need to buy a seperate soundcard to get DH or CMSS to run on the DT990's? And as for the Modi/Vali combination, how does that work? You plug in the optical/usb into the Modi and take two audio cables and route them to the amp? And of course plug your headphones into the amp? I actually have an optical out on my board.

I have no idea how Sound Processing works :/ I think it blasphamey [no just kidding lol, I'm just not a gamer] 

but yea Plug the Optical or USB from the dac into your PC, get some $5 RCA from Mono price and hook them into your Amp and then insert headphones. The Schiit Vali and Magni even stack nicely!

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #9 of 18
The way I read it I thought you were saying the DAC supplied the PC the sound. But I see what you mean. So I don't need to go out of my way to buy a soundcard then for Dolby Headphone right?

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #10 of 18
  The way I read it I thought you were saying the DAC supplied the PC the sound. But I see what you mean. So I don't need to go out of my way to buy a soundcard then for Dolby Headphone right?

I don't think so, if you can get DolbyHeadphone without a sound card then more power to ya 

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #12 of 18
  Another reason I'm skeptical about getting a soundcard is because I heard from plenty of sources that they're pretty much a gimmick.

I don't own one and I have no idea if they are or not lol. 

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #13 of 18
If you go with the Beyers you can get a Xonar Essence STX and call it a day. Plenty of power for the 250 or 600 ohm versions, excellent specs all around, and Dolby Headphone.

Problems are a lot of people prefer Creative's CMSS-3D to Dolby Headphone, and the card has a 10 ohm output impedance which won't play nice with the lower impedance headphone options you listed. You'll want to stick to 80 ohms or more.

Sound cards aren't all gimmicks. They have their problems, usually output impedance, but can be very cost-effective and powerful in the right situation.

I'm not aware of any Creative cards with enough power to drive the DT990, and most of them have even worse output impedance. So if you prefer CMSS-3D, you might want to get a cheap Creative card with optical out, then use it to feed an optical Modi+Magni or other amp+DAC with an optical in.

The Soundblaster Z line might be able to do it, but it'll be cutting it close, and they have an output impedance around 20 ohms so any headphone under about 150 ohms won't be ideal.

Oct 25, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #14 of 18
Would I just be able to use software instead of using Dolby headphone off the soundcard? Or CMSS. But when you say call it a day, you're saying skip out on the DAC and Amp right? I'm not sure which I want to go with though. I've heard that it's usually best to just go with the DAC and Amp. Any reason why I should specifically go with a soundcard?

Oct 25, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #15 of 18
I got a Sennheiser 598 as my first pair of headphones and I love the sound that comes out of them. The soundstage is amazing and should be good for your gaming needs.
There is not too much bass, but I think that you would be very happy overall if you ended up getting them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back