Really stressed out about the college process
Sep 3, 2010 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

blackbird

100+ Head-Fier
I am really stressed out about the college process. I have come to learn that Head-fi is one of the most mature and helping forums I know of, so this is the only forum that I feel comfortable asking for help. I really don't know what I should do about the college process, or how I should describe what I am feeling right now. Even if nobody help me, I feel that writing out what I'm thinking about helps me organize my thoughts more.

I live in NYC, and I have mostly decided that I am going to stay in the city. Well, that just about wipes out half of the college options. At this point, I have also decided that I will do some form of engineering, perhaps civil, industrial, mechanical, or materials. I don't know how to narrow it down. Anyone have tips?

Secondly, I am very worried about the emphasis of extra curricular activities. I have done NOTHING. Well, last year I did join the chess club, and this summer I did have an internship/volunteer position at Columbia. But thats about it. I will be starting Junior year next week, and I have no extracurriculars. I am most stressed about this. Everyone seems to emphasize so much about them, and at this point, I've done nothing. I feel that I've failed already. What should I begin doing immediately next week? I think I need to ramp up those ECs immediately. It is just so difficult finding time to do so, however.

I also don't know how to pick the colleges I want to go to. I have been eyeing a couple, but because of the EC situation, I feel that they will reject me regardless of what I do. Of course, my GPA is fine, and I have not taken the SAT yet, so those can be fixed. But the ECs, I already lost half my chances. When they see my application, they will think "well, this kid did nothing in his Frosh/Soph year. Immediate REJECT!". I just don't know what to do. How do I pick which colleges I want to go to?

When I look at the common application, I become even more worried. One part that particularly concerns me is the "Counselor report". That's a huge problem! My school switches out counselors every year, and I have had 2 different counselors already! They don't know me at all! Come next week, I will get another new counselor, and s/he won't know me either! What should I do in order to get them to know me?

Finally, during the application process, what do you recommend doing the most?
What do you regret doing the most? Should I worry so much about the SAT/ACT?

I feel fortunate that I am seeking help not in the beginning of my Senior year, when there are no chances anymore, but in the beginning of my Junior, when I have at least 1 yr left.

Thanks a ton. I really appreciate all the help I've received from this community over the years.

Sep 3, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #2 of 41
Relax.  Take up an extracurricular at school.  If you have any interest in music, join the band.  They'll teach you how to play an instrument and you should have a lot of fun with the other kids there.  Or maybe start volunteering at a shelter (people or animals) and that'll look good.

Don't worry too much about being accepted, the college rankings, and all that crap.  I've been out of high school since 1990 and no one cares that much about where you went to school, your GPA or any of that stuff.  They mostly want to see if you have the degree, experience and whether you're sociable enough to work in the office.  That's about it.  A handful of employers make a big deal out of grades, but those tend to be the people who were in the top 10%.  Meaning that the other 90% of people out there had average grades and don't care.

So pick up a couple of extracurriculars and focus more on having fun and hanging out with friends.  There are lots and lots of schools and you'll get into one.

I don't know why you're bent on staying in NYC.  Nothing wrong with the place, but you might want to use college to see a different part of the country.  Come on out west - it's nice over here.

Sep 3, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 41
I wouldn't worry about the counselor recommendation. The only way that's going to impact your application is if you were terrifyingly delinquent and yet managed to escape with a clean criminal record.

If you can't find a way of narrowing down your choices before starting college, some universities offer an introduction to engineering courseload during the first year. From there, you can decide which path you want to take and will still be able to complete a degree in 4 years. Also wouldn't worry about some nebulous overall college rankings as industry connections are much more important if you're entering engineering. Interships and coops are invaluable experiences, and they're tough to land without those connections. Luckily, programs rankings generally correlate pretty well with the quality of the program's industry contacts.

As far as the SAT goes, it's a care about but certainly not everything. Your score should at least be average for the institution you're targeting. ~ 1800 is competitive at most quality state schools. ~ 2200 is competitive at any school.

Sep 3, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #4 of 41
It's natural to be stressed out about the college applications. But most of the worrying is in vain. Half of the process is having what they are looking for and the other half is luck. Just take a few deep breaths and remember that no matter what happens, you'll be okay.

Sep 3, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #5 of 41
Another thing you might want to try is taking a few courses at your local community college on evenings and weekends.  I managed to pick up a few units before getting out of high school and the cost was low.  It's great to bring some units in with you, but it would also show that you're quite serious about attending college and that you are capable of passing classes.

It worked well for me - I got out of undergrad in seven semesters.  If I could go back, I would have taken a few more classes at the community college (especially over the summer) and signed up for a few more AP classes.  I could have knocked off a degree a year early.

Sep 3, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 41
The ACT is easy - take that. Don't be stressed I didn't do much in high school and i got into a good college.

Sep 3, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #7 of 41

Quote:
The ACT is easy - take that. Don't be stressed I didn't do much in high school and i got into a good college.

Seriously, don't take one or the other. Take both. Neither is easier than the other (since it's all dependent on mean scores) but some are better at one than the other.

Sep 3, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #8 of 41

Quote:
Seriously, don't take one or the other. Take both. Neither is easier than the other (since it's all dependent on mean scores) but some are better at one than the other.

I took the ACT twice and the SAT once, the ACT was easier for me. I got a combined score of 29 - top 10%. I guess take both is good advice tho.

Sep 4, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #9 of 41
If you find a college you really love and decide you want to go there most of all, then try applying early admissions (also known as early decision). The benefit is that the college sees you're really serious and dedicated about going there. The downside is you can obviously only apply once this way, and if the college accepts you it's an obligation to go there. I knew of a guy who got into trouble because he applied early admissions on two different applications. Both universities rejected him when they found out. Ouch.

I'd also strongly, strongly suggest you going in for an interview. Admission officers are fixated on interviews and think it's the best way to try and see who you really are. It's better than a paper application in some ways because you can go for personality / emotional sob story points, but if you have social anxiety issues like me it can be a killer. I probably came across as a lunatic during mine. Thankfully the university was more interested in getting money from my family than my potential lunaticary.

Sep 4, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #10 of 41
You're still in your junior year. If you're worried about extra-curriculars, like several people have said, look at your strengths or interests and apply yourself to some ECs that play on one or another. I didn't start High School technically, until my Junior year and I took Academic Decathlon as my EC mostly because I made friends with a handful of the guys who had been doing it since freshman year, and I grew to enjoy it and take in Senior Year as well. Also, like Uncle Erik mentioned, I started taking college classes during the summer of my Junior year and was already registered for additional summer college classes after my senior year so when I started applying for colleges, they knew I was already serious.

Sep 5, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #11 of 41
Thanks for the reassurance. I'll be sure to jump into some extracurriculars immediately.
I'll probably do a thing called "Science Olympiad", or maybe even Photography.
About music, it seems that I'm already too late. You had to start in Freshman year to join the band.

I'll definitely be taking both the ACT and the SAT. Great Suggestion.
For the SAT, I'll have to target a 2100-2200.
That might be pretty difficult though.

Sep 5, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #12 of 41
Why do you have to target a 2100? 
eek.gif
  That's really high, around the 98th percentile I believe. I got a 2030 and got into every college I applied to with merit scholarships.

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #13 of 41
Quote:
Thanks for the reassurance. I'll be sure to jump into some extracurriculars immediately.
About music, it seems that I'm already too late. You had to start in Freshman year to join the band.

Obtaining a 2100-2200 is very difficult, at least 95th percentile, from what I vaguely remember. But the SAT is more a test of endurance and determination more than intelligence - consistent and singleminded practice will be enough to get you any score you want.

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #14 of 41

Quote:
I am really stressed out about the college process. I have come to learn that Head-fi is one of the most mature and helping forums I know of, so this is the only forum that I feel comfortable asking for help. I really don't know what I should do about the college process, or how I should describe what I am feeling right now. Even if nobody help me, I feel that writing out what I'm thinking about helps me organize my thoughts more.

I live in NYC, and I have mostly decided that I am going to stay in the city. Well, that just about wipes out half of the college options. At this point, I have also decided that I will do some form of engineering, perhaps civil, industrial, mechanical, or materials. I don't know how to narrow it down. Anyone have tips?

Secondly, I am very worried about the emphasis of extra curricular activities. I have done NOTHING. Well, last year I did join the chess club, and this summer I did have an internship/volunteer position at Columbia. But thats about it. I will be starting Junior year next week, and I have no extracurriculars. I am most stressed about this. Everyone seems to emphasize so much about them, and at this point, I've done nothing. I feel that I've failed already. What should I begin doing immediately next week? I think I need to ramp up those ECs immediately. It is just so difficult finding time to do so, however.

I also don't know how to pick the colleges I want to go to. I have been eyeing a couple, but because of the EC situation, I feel that they will reject me regardless of what I do. Of course, my GPA is fine, and I have not taken the SAT yet, so those can be fixed. But the ECs, I already lost half my chances. When they see my application, they will think "well, this kid did nothing in his Frosh/Soph year. Immediate REJECT!". I just don't know what to do. How do I pick which colleges I want to go to?

When I look at the common application, I become even more worried. One part that particularly concerns me is the "Counselor report". That's a huge problem! My school switches out counselors every year, and I have had 2 different counselors already! They don't know me at all! Come next week, I will get another new counselor, and s/he won't know me either! What should I do in order to get them to know me?

Finally, during the application process, what do you recommend doing the most?
What do you regret doing the most? Should I worry so much about the SAT/ACT?

I feel fortunate that I am seeking help not in the beginning of my Senior year, when there are no chances anymore, but in the beginning of my Junior, when I have at least 1 yr left.

Thanks a ton. I really appreciate all the help I've received from this community over the years.

(My sources of knowledge: Being a high school senior, constantly talking with my counselor, having a college professor for a dad, who also works for admissions)

First of all, stop it. Just stop worrying about applying. It's not time yet (wait for senior year). Junior year is the worst year to pick up new activities. By now, if you have it you have it, and if you don't, you don't. Instead, focus on anything you currently have. Colleges are not (I repeat NOT) looking for a person with lots of activities any more. They want to see authenticity. This is coming from what I've heard directly from college admissions officers and reps. In a year, you will be writing essays, showing them who you are. I'm applying to MIT, Ga tech, Olin, and Cal Tech among others. My essays? On fear of heights and curiosity. Almost nothing to do with my interests. I'd be happy to give you advice on how to write them when the time comes. Right now, your grades are first priority. Anything that pushes them down (new sports and activities) should be discontinued immediately unless they mean a lot to you.

I won't lie, there are two things a college generally looks at first before really considering you. Grades and SAT/ACT first. If you're in the ballpark, most will look at expressed interest; that is to say, they want to see how likely you are to attend if they accept. College admissions is forced to play the number games as much as applicants are - they want low acceptance and high yield. Therefore, if it's you against some kid with equal grades, and you've attended functions, friended/fanned their facebook page, etc. and the other kid hasn't, you will be accepted over him.

The rest of the college app (essays and stuff) are really more of a bonus. A good essay will attract their attention and show them you're a character worth having on campus, not a one dimensional shut in that studies, eats and sleeps. Once again, PM me in a year. I'll send you my essay or whatnot and show you what I did to give you some guidance. For now, do work. It's the best thing you can do.

Quote:
Obtaining a 2100-2200 is very difficult, at least 95th percentile, from what I vaguely remember. But the SAT is more a test of endurance and determination more than intelligence - consistent and singleminded practice will be enough to get you any score you want.

More true than you think, I know a kid who wasn't very bright but practiced and paid a lot, and eventually got a grade well over what she should have.

Quote:

You have nothing? Absolutely no clubs (even ones you didn't participate in)? Please, don't try this. Look for something, anything that meshes with something you're interested in. Look for a job (!), which colleges *LOVE* because it demonstrates responsibility.

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #15 of 41
Don't worry about it. Keep your GPA up, knock your SAT out of the park, and you'll be in fine shape. Extracurriculars are great to have on your resume, but fortunately for you you're looking to get into engineering programs - in general, I think these will be less concerned with leadership qualities and how well-rounded you are and more concerned with academic achievement. Don't go out looking for extracurriculars for the sake of it - if you can find something that really interests you, then great - jump in with both feet and enjoy yourself. But unfocused, half-assed resume-building is a waste of time. You don't even necessarily have to go with one of your school's standard ECs - you could get an interesting job, start your own club, start a business, get involved with an outside organization (like a charity or non-profit) - lots of stuff. Just find something that you're interested in and dedicate some real time and thought to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back