Really like my SR-80s, but has left me wanting more!!! Recommendation sub $200
Dec 26, 2012 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

buhd4life

New Head-Fier
Ever since I bought my SR-80s I have been left craving more. The detail is awesome and I really love the grado sound, but I'm not exactly sure what it is that it's lacking...I like headphones that I can kind get lost in and I feel as though its hard with the openess of the headphones...But I am up for more open air headphones if the sound quality is that much better...

So...any suggestions for an upgrade? Are the next level grado's a lot better? 

I love listening to everything so something that's robust would do me good!

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #2 of 6
Is it the grado SR80, or SR80i?

Either way, you can mod them and make them sound a lot nicer. 

People who are a bit crafty will actually get the Sr80is and turn them into the higher end grados for cheap. 

Dec 26, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #4 of 6
Well do you want to mod or upgrade? If you are looking to upgade I upgraded to the allesandro MS2i, from the SR80i wich I no longer have. The MS2i is a much warmer more rich detailed fuller sound and more balanced headphone, sound's like it is what your after. But the SR80i is an amazing headphone, I actually plan to purchase another one because both headphone's have a different sound, but they both are excellent ( just different! One's not better than the other in my opinion). As far as modding goe's for the 80's if you want some more bass you can take the drivers out of the cup's and there are a serie's of hole's under the felt ring on the back of the driver wich you can see if you press around the ring with your finger you will see the indentotion of the hole's. Take a pen and push the pen tip through the hole's ( star with one hole at a tme on each driver in the same spot to hear the sound difference, if you want some more bass try two hloe's and so on. There is also a thread on GRADO MOD'S in this forum to see all mod's.

Dec 26, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 6
I love the SR-80is dont get me wrong...I guess I feel as though its opened my ears and I wanna see what else is out there...For classical music and rock I love my SR-80is...hmm how much do the alessandros go for? Maybe that is what I am looking for...also any closed headphone suggestions so I can weigh my options?

Dec 26, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
I love the SR-80is dont get me wrong...I guess I feel as though its opened my ears and I wanna see what else is out there...For classical music and rock I love my SR-80is...hmm how much do the alessandros go for? Maybe that is what I am looking for...also any closed headphone suggestions so I can weigh my options?

The MS2i's go for 300$U.S. ( I didn't see the 200$ budget, sorry.) I really can't comment on a closed back beside's the bose AE2, wich I used to own until I heard my friend's SR80i's. There's no comparison in the sound quality imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back