Really bizarre problem with the Shure SE535 IEMs.
Jun 11, 2012 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

OllyNewport

New Head-Fier
Hey everybody,

Just a couple of days ago I experienced the weirdest problem I've ever encountered with a pair of IEMs. It was like the SQ had just been wiped from the 535's and even upon calling the Shure Distribution Centre they were perplexed by the issue. 

One evening I'm using them - they sound perfectly fine - I plug them into my ears the next day to be met by what I could only describe as: £3.99 SUPA-EXTRA EQ'D BASS DR. DRE BEATS EFFECT!!?1?!

The earbuds had lost about 60% of their volume (through the mids to the high end) but retained the bass, resulting in incredibly undynamic, muddy, stodgy sounding music and vocals.
The next issue is that the the mids and highs are distorted - more so on the highs - so female vocalists all sound like an indie band with a distortion filter on the mic (this actually made Peter, Bjorn & John's later work even more unbearable.)

What's the problem then? When I encountered the bizarre new sound I tested them out on multiple devices such as televisions, laptops and MP3 players but the result was the same, I'd need to crank the volume on the iPod classic to the maximum (and even then music was quiet) -- it sounds like an issue with the tweeters -- the SE535's have two woofers and a tweeter so, apparently but don't quote me on this, the crossover might have gone mental, but the crossover's gone mental on BOTH earbuds, surely a cable problem wouldn't cause such an incredible shift of sound?

Shure had no idea what the issue is and issued a return within three minutes of me calling them -- so thanks Shure! -- but out of curiosity, has anybody else had this problem? 

Best,

-Olly

Aug 1, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 3
Earwax or moisture?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back