Really bizarre issue with Fiio E5...
Mar 12, 2012 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

KKSlider1337

New Head-Fier
Hey there,

I use a Fiio E5 with an iPod Touch 4G and LOD cable, and my headphones are Goldring NS-1000s. I've noticed a really weird phenomenon though, and I'm sure I'm not imagining it. For some reason, the sound quality seems to improve when the battery has been depleted a considerable amount - say, 2-3 hours of usage or more. The sound appears more full and bass improves, I'm sure of it. Do you think my unit is a bit faulty, or is there any other way of explaining this? I'm tempted to upgrade to a Fiio E11 actually; would this be worthwhile?

Mar 12, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 4
I own both, can't say I've heard anything like that happen with E5. I have no explanation why you're experiencing such things. Unless there's something going on when the voltage drops. it's a bit to technical for me. If you're finding this works for you keep it half charged. 

For your second question I can help.

I went through the same situation buying an E5  having thoughts of upgrading to E11 within two days after. The E11 is completely different in some aspects to it's younger brother but not in a bad way. All round sound is clearer, smoother, forward, more power. Bass boosts (or EQ) work a little differently.  E5 has one boost setting which I like, going from soft to semi boom where as an E11 has 2 forward steps of EQ giving you more room to move. imagine a more professional approach. It's certainly a step forward in the right direction, I have no regrets on buying. Either way the E5 certainly holds it's own place in the world of portable headphone amps.

Mar 12, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 4

If you pm me your addy, I'll be happy to mail you another e5, which doesn't display these characteristics, maybe you can see if it's just in your head,
Quote:
Hey there,

I use a Fiio E5 with an iPod Touch 4G and LOD cable, and my headphones are Goldring NS-1000s. I've noticed a really weird phenomenon though, and I'm sure I'm not imagining it. For some reason, the sound quality seems to improve when the battery has been depleted a considerable amount - say, 2-3 hours of usage or more. The sound appears more full and bass improves, I'm sure of it. Do you think my unit is a bit faulty, or is there any other way of explaining this? I'm tempted to upgrade to a Fiio E11 actually; would this be worthwhile?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back