Reality check: Even Pico is not justifiable ?
Jan 17, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #46 of 68
I just ordered a Pico, but if you look at my sig I'm not expecting a world of difference. I already have a damn nice setup, all the Pico means to me is miniaturization and simplification
smily_headphones1.gif

For me to order the Pico and expect a massive improvement would be foolish. It'll probably sound a little different, but I would expect it to be roughly equal (hopefully) to what I have now.

Part of it is in your expectations. There are those that will *always* think whatever they just bought sounds great, simply because they want to like it and have spent a good deal of money on it. Then there are those who really don't care about the last 5% and stick to 'normal' gear.

--Illah

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #47 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok... I added another word into the title of the the thread. I hope that you all read it as "half-full" now.
biggrin.gif

No, it's still inflammatory and a pretty thinly veiled attempt to discredit a product. If I were a mod I'd lock it and give you a quiet week to study the relative value of amps.
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #48 of 68
I've got something similar to the pico...it's the Benchmark DAC1 USB...it's a dac and
voila
it's a amp too.

oh yeah.... I just got it yesterday!!
I'm not going to give any other comment but...It's very nice and I likey already-oops, I guess I slipped.

The sound/speed from the usb of the computer as transport to dac is amazing....still evaluating.

cool.gif

Jan 17, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #50 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To my ears, I found most of the amps will change the SQ in a sudden way, most the time for the better.

The Pico's clarity is apparent right out of the box. Notes are tight, there's no grain, and the frequencies aren't rolled off. What's not to like?

Jan 17, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #51 of 68
I don't see the point of this thread either. If people decided that the money spent on amps weren't worth it then they wouldn't be reading the amp section anymore. Considering you singled out the Pico when there are much more expensive and popular amps out there seems to me you that have a hidden objective of some sort.

Yes I have a Pico, yes I think its great, honestly I think its too expensive for a portable amp. Thats my own cost/benefit and I'm sure anyone who has spent a sizable chunk of money has thought about it. Let people decide on their own, we don't need more threads like this. If its too expensive or they don't think its worth it then let them return it or sell it. If they thought it was worth it then let them enjoy it.

Jan 17, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #52 of 68
Clearly, portable amps with a built-in dac offer more than sonic performance. There is practical value to overcoming the limiting factors around most laptop sound cards. The volume coming from the sound card of my Gateway tablet is not enough to enjoy while on a train or airplane, even with custom IEMs. When I combine this with sonic improvement from a well implemented dac/amplifier it becomes an easy decision.

Jan 17, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #53 of 68
I think also important is how critically you want to listen to music. If you get more enjoyment out of hearing all the detail, then an amp is important. For example, I've owned "Dark Side of the Moon" for years. Not until I got my EC/SS and RS-1s did I hear the heartbeat throughout the album. It's there during parts of Time and Great Gig in the Sky and I never noticed it.

Does hearing this really make the music better? No, but I have lots of fun discovering things like this in my music and that means an amp is worthwhile to me.

Jan 17, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #54 of 68
I have no problem with a person saying the following:

"I listened to the Pico and I personally don't feel it's worth the money".

But the way this thread was started, while the intent might have been to honestly inquire about the Pico, it does not come off that way.

I will give the OP the benefit of the doubt, though, that the question was sincere, and as such, allow me to answer what I believe the question was:

I think that person selling the Pico was indeed an isolated case. I have arguably listened to more portable amps than all but a very few other people, and I thought the Pico was TERRIFIC, among the very very best, and for me, EASILY with the asking price.

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:04 AM Post #55 of 68
maybe some of us just post when they're too tired or distracted, and what slips out is some variation on "I don't own what your sig claims you own, and I resent what everyone else has because I don't have it"? I think the OP should have bought the Pico FS and formed his own opinion, in the spirit of positive thinking and wallet-half-fullness he claims here!

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #60 of 68
Darn! I finally found that FS: Pico thread. Was hoping to get another one at a discounted price.
smily_headphones1.gif

Some people just like to waste money. He could've simply returned it for a refund since HeadAmp has a satisfaction guarantee.

Oh well, his loss, someone else's gain. (not mine, darnit.)

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back