Realistic Nova 40
Nov 30, 2005 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

HypnoLobster

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I found a set of these heavy old suckers in my parents attic.

My lord, these have to be the heaviest set of headphones I have ever held. The opening in the pad is about an inch and a half, and the inside has a bit of a lip, so the bottom of the earlobe just barely sticks in there nicely, making you feel very odd wearing them. They also must have been built for goliath. I dont exactly have a small head and the top of the cans barely touches the top of my ears, making the cans sound like a seashell with drivers.
Other than that, they are amazingly solid. I wish they actually sounded good.

Just thought I would tell you all about my minor amusement with vintage headphones.

Nov 30, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #2 of 7
I have a big ol' fascination with vintage cans. I don't even quite care if they sound so good. I grabbed an old pair of Nova 15s for cheap on an eBay auction last week. They sound like bad computer speakers with the 'surround' option turned on, but they look like something from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Gotta pair of old Sears headphones on the way. If they sound bad, I think I'm going to try switching the drivers out with some KSC75s....

Nov 30, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by HypnoLobster
Sears headphones.
Boy does that sound fun.

Sears? Bah. I prefer the vintage K-Mart sound.
wink.gif

Nov 30, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 7
ah, man, I coulda had those for a buck!
tongue.gif
They must be heavy if they want 11 dollas in shipping
rolleyes.gif

I like how in the description they say "THEY HAVE VERY VINTAGE SOUND (NOT DIGITAL)". I guess I was unaware that digitisation occured at the headphone stage.

Oct 23, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #6 of 7
Wow!! Found this old topic while wearing a pair of Nova 40's that I found in the back of a storage closet. Actually, these sound better than most of the cheap buds I've heard, but they clamp the head almost as tight as aircraft cans. Yes, they do sound better than even "better" aircraft cans, which aren't designed to play music, anyway.

I think they changed over the period they were a live model number at Radio Shack. I read a description in another thread, and it wasn't the cans I'm wearing. These are probably a sometime in the mid 80's product, stereo, both cans labeled Taiwan, molded with intact heapiece and ear pads! If I were shipwrecked, and these were all I had, I'd be content... of course, I'd need and endless supply of fresh batteries :)  

Harry

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #7 of 7
On the Radio Shack virtual catalog site, I think I saw them as early as the '79 catalog.

Got mine for Christmas '84 to help reduce the leakage from my stereo into my
parents' adjoining bedroom, LOL. Wish I still had them to A/B against my
modern Sennheisers or Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back