Realease date. Does it matter?
Feb 9, 2014 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SoSianSia

New Head-Fier
Hi i would just like to put it out there that i am a noob, hence the question. In many technological accessories the newer ones always trump their older counterparts. Thus, I have to ask for IEMs are they the same? Like for example I'm looking to buy a pair of Westones 3 after my Klipsch s4 gets busted (which are not too far away from). But the westones 3 have been out for 6 years. Does the technology in it still match up to that of today's new IEMs? That's my question. The answer doesn't necessarily be about the westones 3 but rather the technology of older IEMs altogether.

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 7
I don't know about the Westone 3s specifically, but the older IEMs from the larger companies that have been around a while have gone down in price a lot. The old standard, the UE TF10 went from $400 down to $99 in the Black Friday sales, for example.  My experiences with IEMs is that the companies have been improving the phase response somewhat as they develop new multi-driver models. That means that instruments sound more natural. That still doesn't account for the more important factor, which is: How they sound with the music you like.

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 7
Oh so meaning the top-of-the-line audio from a few years ago will decease in price quite drastically? So, should i save up and get a good universal like the Westones 3/4r or should i go and get myself a pair of average ones that fit my needs? I mostly listen to Pop music if that'll help ypu in advising me. By the way when is black friday? I live in Singapore.
Thanks so much by the way !!

Feb 9, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #4 of 7
Technology almost ALWAYS gets cheaper as time passes, but waiting for the "next" price cut often also means you stay in a perpetual state of waiting and never get the enjoyment of actually using the technology. Still, buying models that are being discontinued or that have been moved down the line by new top of the line 'phones can often be a great way to get excellent sound for a great price.

"Black Friday" is the day after the Thanksgiving holiday in the USA. It is traditionally a day for great shopping deals in preparation for the Christmas rush.

I don't know if it's possible to say that newer models are always better than older models - there are many reasons why models change - including the new models being cheaper to manufacture, having different styling or even just a new marketing direction. Look at some of the best known headphones - Grado, AKG, Stax, etc - they have headphones that have not changed substantially in DECADES, and are still considered GREAT sounding headphones.

Feb 10, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #6 of 7
Oh so meaning the top-of-the-line audio from a few years ago will decease in price quite drastically? So, should i save up and get a good universal like the Westones 3/4r or should i go and get myself a pair of average ones that fit my needs? I mostly listen to Pop music if that'll help ypu in advising me. By the way when is black friday? I live in Singapore.
Thanks so much by the way !!

My apologies but price not necessarily will drop the way you want. Most of the most praised headphones around here kept their price tags: Beyerdynamic, Grado, Audeze, Stax, Ultrasone to name a few. Some could drop about 30%, but don't expect clearance or excellent deals. The US market is somewhat different than the rest of the world, so comparisons should be out of the table.

The audio world doesn't improve as fast as other tech goes: a good pair of headphones like the Beyerdynamic dt770 made about 10 years ago still hold strong against their newers competitors. Buy whatever you feel like buying no matter how old it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back