Realalisticly, how important is high school...
Jun 1, 2003 at 2:18 AM Post #31 of 157
Coming from England, I have no idea what you lot are talking about?

Community College ? is that a university or not?

2 years degree ? I didn't know there is such a thing.

Over here, you can do a HND (a form of qualification below the degree, and it's 2 years full time, which you can move into 2nd year of university of the same course afterwards, is commuity college similiar to this?)

btw, how much is college fees for a year for you guys?

Jun 1, 2003 at 2:31 AM Post #32 of 157
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon
If you "take a couple years off", especially after a poor showing in high school (or much worse, dropping out) - the chances of you actually attending any kind of college drop incredibly.

really? I took off for 3 1/2 years before going to college, i knocked out 2 yrs of community college in a year and a half and walked away with a 3.53 GPA. I'm currently enrolled in a four year college and have been working since i finished High School. My attitude is if you did poorly in HS, it's obvious that you are burned out and don't have your priorities straightened out. Go work, then when you get sick of working you'll crave to go back to school.

Jun 1, 2003 at 3:26 AM Post #34 of 157
mac,
Here are a few facts I've learned about CC's...
Just to let you and others know, most of the GE courses you take at a CC are the exact same as the GE courses taken at a University. I've had many experiences in which I've noticed this. While attending a local CC, I had the chance to sit in on various classes at Berkeley, Santa Barbara, Chico State, Sonoma State, and some others I can't remember. A humanities class at my CC used the same book and received almost the exact same type of lesson plan as the same humanities class at Berkeley. At all the other colleges I listed above, I also noticed MANY similarities btwn the classes at my CC, and the classes at the U's. It all matters how pationate your professor is about the specific class you are taking too, and wether you're at a U doesn't matter. What I mean is, the general education you receive at a CC is equal to what you get at a lot of other Universities in CA. What I found kind of took me by surprise, because society brain washes you to think otherwize, but it made me realize that I was saving a **** load of money by going to a CC...and that is good! Also, when I was at the CC I went to, my speech professor told me that the average professor at a CC gets paid more vs a professor at a University. I don't know what that means, but it was the deciding factor in why my speech (and many other professors) professor took her job at a CC rather than a University. I know you people here at head-fi would never judge someone in an immature way, but sadly enough, the public does...most people look down upon people who attend CC for whatever reasons. And I'm not pulling this out of my ass, it's just the way it is (maybe just in CA???). OTOH, those type of people who frown upon people who go to CC, are not worth being delt with anyways. I have nothing to prove to anyone, but I only attended a CC to save money...I was perfectly able to attend a University with my grades, and the same goes for a lot of other people I hung out with during my CC years. My point is Mac, don't let anyone turn you away from the idea of going to a CC because you won't be regarded as "smart" as another person who attends a U. I know you're probably not one of those people who buys into what people think or how certain stereotyoes are played out in HS, but I kind of was like that when just broke out of HS...immature, but just starting to get a grip on life. Just make the decision that best fits you and your needs. If you can make straight A's and go for a 4 year, then do it, but be realistic...and if you don't think you can do it, or don't want to, then do the CC thing and see if college is up your alley! Good luck in whatever you do
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2003 at 3:27 AM Post #35 of 157
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin
Coming from England, I have no idea what you lot are talking about?

Community College ? is that a university or not?

2 years degree ? I didn't know there is such a thing.

Over here, you can do a HND (a form of qualification below the degree, and it's 2 years full time, which you can move into 2nd year of university of the same course afterwards, is commuity college similiar to this?)

Community college is not a university, hell, i don't know what technically makes a university here in the States anymore. Community colleges are basically the first two years of a four year program, some people look down on community colleges, i definitely don't. I learned a hell of a lot more at my community college than i am right now at my four year college.

As for fees, here in NYC the CUNY system rate (new york city colleges) comes out about $2000 for 12 credits or so. NYU costs something like $20k a year...probably a little more by now i imagine.

Jun 1, 2003 at 3:27 AM Post #36 of 157
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin

Ivy League schools are about $40,000 per year, state schools are about $20,000, and community colleges are much less.

Jun 1, 2003 at 3:34 AM Post #37 of 157
the constant use of college and then university confuse me no end, if you call college = university. And how is CC not a university?

$20,000 - $40,000 !!!!! makes me glad I live in the UK, I go for free, apart from rent and living cost, in fact I get $3000 govement grant + my council even pay for my fees (I am still edliable for the old 1997 system before Tony Blair came into power). So $20,000 can last me a good 3 years of uni and live very well too, lots of beer money!

Jun 1, 2003 at 4:13 AM Post #39 of 157
once again, thank you everyone. in other news i got my grades back and i only failed one class.
rolleyes.gif
and i needed a 70 yo pass, i got a 69.5.
confused.gif
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif

i do not plan on dropping out of HS by any means. once again, thank you, you do not know the joy i am feeling now.

i still do have a year to think about this, but now i think i will be headed more in the right direction.

I love you head-fi.
eek.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jun 1, 2003 at 4:25 AM Post #40 of 157
I graduated from high school in 1995 and I was definitely in the bottom half of my graduating class. I had a heck of a lot of personal difficulties during my HS years. Since then, I've been in some form of higher education for the past eight years. I've been to one community college and three universities.

What I have learned?

Education is an important commodity. In America, having a college degree is becoming a more prevalent commodity among employers. That piece of paper can literally open or close doors. Yet, most people become apprehensive or defensive about this fact. When one door closes, another door will open...if you spot it opening up. Yet, my feelings about the value of education are tempered by my firm belief that there is something more important than education itself: passionate drive and purpose in your life. What do I mean by the word drive? I mean that having an education and degrees is important but without having the "fire in the belly," education can turn into a bigger, more expensive, and longer version of HS in your life. It is my firm belief that combining both an education and mastering "motivational programs" will produce the best possible GPAs, standardized exam scores, and a better quality of life. What do I mean? If you decide to go to a community college right away or take some time to find out more about yourself, then realize right away that investing in a "motivational program" may produce the best and most enduring results in your life. For example, please consider this idea: instead of spending a few hundred dollars on a next headphone, PCDP, headphone amplifier, etc. consider investing in one of Tony Robbins' products. Who is Tony Robbins? He is a peak performance coach. He has the knowledge, experience, and charisma to help you focus on the "majors" of life. You will learn from him how to focus on these major areas of your life -- health, finances, passion, relationships, emotions, etc. -- and harness your full potential by learning simple, easy to follow, and proven technologies that will train your brain to focus your mind on improving each area of your life.

You might be skeptical, as I once was, or you may just laugh, as I once did so myself. But consider this: I bought TR's Personal Power II program in September 2000. Since then, I have graduated from Essex County College in Newark, NJ with an Associate's Degree in Liberal Arts with High Honors (3.68 cumulative GPA). I was accepted to Montclair State University in Upper Montclair, NJ with a full scholarship (they pay me $1300 dollars each semester in a refund check to go to their school). Last semester while I worked on the PPII program, I got a 3.7 GPA. In the fall 2003 semester, I got a 2.66 GPA because I wasn't working on any "motivational program" at that time in my life. Today, I have a written goals for my academic plans. I am on schedule toward my eagerly anticipated graduation date of May 2004. I have written goals as they pertain to the next 8 years that I will dedicate my life to pursuing graduate studies. For example, I plan on earning a Master's Degree in American Fiction from The College of New Jersey and graduating Magna cum Laude. As another example, I plan to pursue a Ph.D. program in American Fiction from Cornell, the University of Pennsylvania, or Columbia Universities...and I am absolutely certain that I will make my academic dream of being Ivy League educated because through the PPII program I have been working on instilling an unshakeable beliefs system within me. "I can do anything through Christ which strengthened me."

Yet, it's not all about academics either for me. While working on the PPII program, I have written the top five 1 year goals for my life. I have reached one of my top five goals: buying the Grado RS-1 headphones. I have finally found the leverage within me to lose 55 pounds and keep it off for at least 3 consecutive years. To that end, I have bought two books -- the Navy SEAL Nutrition Guide and Workout and am applying them slowly, little by little, each day. As a result, I am losing a little bit of weight each week by sticking to my reduced calorie diet and my exercise regimen. I am also taking control of my excessive spending habits by buying a book called the Good $ense Budget Course. Now, I am devising a liveable budget and am living within my means. I'm saving up $3500 dollars to finance my dream of becoming a professional, competitive, rifleman. Each day, I work a little bit by listening to each CD in the PPII program and doing the daily exercise. So, I am getting closer to realizing another one of my top five 1 year written goal of mastering the entire PPII program by the end of this summer.

Back on the topic of education, it is all in your mindset. The value of a good education is priceless because education can lift up the human mind and heart by instilling hope in each of us. Education can lead open up doors of new possibilities and opportunities. Yet, to do it right and do right by yourself you MUST absolutely be committed to doing your best with what you have when you can.

So, I would recommend you to consider taking action on three things in the near future. First, invest a $260 dollars and buy Personal Power II. Commit yourself to mastering as much of the program in small chunks each day. Second, do the best that you can academically by studying harder and longer while in HS. Improve your GPA as much as possible with the time left. To that end, I would recommend that you improve your study skills by buying books on the matter. For example, buy the paperback edition of Evelyn Wood's Speed Reading and Learning Course and buy Studen Success Secrets or Essential Study Skills. Read them thoroughly. Highlight important ideas and take notes from these books. Most importantly, take consistent action daily in the form of setting small, clearly defined, and achievable study goals each day. You will develop the habit of training your mind to focus on a specific target and finding a way to hit the bullyseye. This in turn will forge a new character within you to not only improve your chances of getting a good education but living a better quality of life. Also, be sure to start talking to your HS guidance counselor more oftenly. Ask him or her for advice about different options for finding the school that fits you best and is affordable. Start looking at a Petersen's Guide of Colleges (2003 - 2004 editions) and do research on local community colleges in your area. Call up the admissions departments at each CC and talk to them. Be sure to do this: ask yourself the question: "what is it that I would want to get up early in the morning and stay up late at night learning or doing as a career in my life? What am I most passionate about doing with my life?" Answer that question and find the appropriate major in college that will best suit it. Third, I would recommend prayer. If you don't believe in God, then that is your decision. But, I would strongly urge you to reconsider. The power of daily prayer is incredible. Think about it: by praying, you have access to the most important being in the entire universe at any time in your life!

This thread has triggered a lot of raw emotions in me. Whatever you may think about my personal character or reputation since I have been online in this community, know this: I want to see the best in people. I want people to do the best that they can in their lives with whatever resources they were gifted from God whenever they have the time to do so. I am simply trying to help you by giving you the best of my mind, my heart, and my willingness to help others who have the courage to ask for help.

Jun 1, 2003 at 4:32 AM Post #41 of 157
It is confusing to non-americans, as every country has their own system, trust me many European systems are just as confusing to us.

A community College also called a Jr College is Always 2 years only, or at least two years worth of credits, how long it takes to finish it depends on how many credits you take. Many offer an Associate degree, which is a 2 year degree.

Universities are 4 year schools and many offer 6 year and 8 year degrees. However, many Universities can be called Colleges or even just Schools, but it's the same thing.

Ivy League schools are Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Penn, Princeton, and Yale. These are so called "high end" Universities. Very hard to get in, and looks extremely well on your resume to say the least.

2 year degree = Associate
4 year degree = Bachelor
6 year degree = Master
8 year degree = Doctoral

Jun 1, 2003 at 4:39 AM Post #42 of 157
Ray,

a University is a conglomouration of many colleges. a college is a conglomouration of many schools.

A college usually gives out BAs or BSs (Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science) degrees. Universities would give out PHDs.

So you could have 'The School of the Deaf @ the College of Teaching @' a University.

got a dictionary around? google is your friend.

Jun 1, 2003 at 4:43 AM Post #43 of 157
Mac,

if you want to get any sort of a good job, you need two years (CC) of college, minimum. do a 'career requirments' google search. want to be a cop? 2 years (BA) is the minimum in most places? want to run a Hertz rental office? 2 years in Business Management will get you in (MBA).

it's either that or you start your own business. i suggest going for an MBA, then.

Jun 1, 2003 at 5:01 AM Post #44 of 157
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
It is confusing to non-americans, as every country has their own system, trust me many European systems are just as confusing to us.

A community College also called a Jr College is Always 2 years only, or at least two years worth of credits, how long it takes to finish it depends on how many credits you take. Many offer an Associate degree, which is a 2 year degree.

Universities are 4 year schools and many offer 6 year and 8 year degrees. However, many Universities can be called Colleges or even just Schools, but it's the same thing.

Ivy League schools are Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Penn, Princeton, and Yale. These are so called "high end" Universities. Very hard to get in, and looks extremely well on your resume to say the least.

2 year degree = Associate
4 year degree = Bachelor
6 year degree = Master
8 year degree = Doctoral

It is endlessly confusing, especially because the above criteria are not necessarily concrete. You can earn a BA in 3 years, a masters in 5, but for me, since I need to become fluent in reading Japanese, Chinese and Korean and write a 600 page dissertation, it will probably take me 6-8 years after my BA (for a total of 10-12 years) to get a PhD. Furthermore, there are many colleges (not CC's) that are better than universities. What's better? Middlebury College or University of Vermont? Middlebury College. How does that work? Well, a college is what Wallijohn described, but it can also be a school that grants Bachelor's degrees, but not PhDs. It has nothing to do with one being better than the other. That said, community colleges are generally considered lesser instituions (not that they always are). This was my problem in Russia. When I said that I went to Middlebury College, everyone looked at me funny. Since I was doing advanced research, everyone assumed that I had gone to a university, since a "kolledzh" (college) is more like a technical school there. It took a lot of explaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back