REAL vs. FAKE Sony MDR-EX700's (Pics + Vids) Spot the difference!
Jul 31, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #31 of 39
So there was this local guy selling EX700's for $15. I called him up to ask where he got them that he could sell them so cheap, and I got this whole schpiel about them being oem but exactly the same as the originals, and that the real ones are just ripping you off etc, and who needs the nice case and extra tips anyways? Then he even went so far as to say that he got them for $10 each and was only selling them at $5 profit. When I commented that he was paying too much and that you could get them for $5 shipped off ebay, he said "oh no, those ones are fake! mine are the real deal"

Haha, so anyhow I met up with the guy to give them a listen. What can I say, curiosity got the better of me. To their credit, they were better than I was expecting... which of course makes you wonder what I was expecting, but that's neither here nor there. There was absolutely zero seal on them. Seriously, I've worn stock earbuds that isolated better. Bass rolloff was around 50Hz, humped up in the midbass region, sucked out to the abyss along the mids, then started doing a funny amplitude jig once you passed around 2kHz or so.

The sad part is that the guy really believed in his product and felt that they were awesome iems. I had to tell him "these are pretty terrible" as I handed them back. He seemed slightly downtrodden, but then marched right along trying to push the sale... "but are they decent for $15?"

.... "uh... no."

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #32 of 39
moot question - I wouldn't buy the ex700 no matter what the price, they have really pronounced sibilance, are pretty slow and not particularly detailed, and generally start falling apart after about a year.  There's much better earphones out there.

May 20, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #33 of 39
I'm going to wake this old, dead thread, because I was wondering if the fakes come with some decent hybrid-like tips. If so, I'll probably get some fakes just for that reason and to have some gag IEMs.

May 21, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #34 of 39
Quote:
I'm going to wake this old, dead thread, because I was wondering if the fakes come with some decent hybrid-like tips. If so, I'll probably get some fakes just for that reason and to have some gag IEMs.

Yes they usually do, but sometimes they provide less sizes than with the real ones.
Mine came with 4 sizes instead of 7.
As for sound quality: they were sounding like a boombox: heavy boomy bass with no mids and a little treble. And they lasted for 3 months before disintegrating (casings falling apart).

May 21, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:
Yes they usually do, but sometimes they provide less sizes than with the real ones.
Mine came with 4 sizes instead of 7.
As for sound quality: they were sounding like a boombox: heavy boomy bass with no mids and a little treble. And they lasted for 3 months before disintegrating (casings falling apart).

Cool thanks. I'm sure they're terrible, but it might be interesting to get for kicks and grins.

May 22, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #36 of 39
You can always order OEM Sony tips separately.  Quality is better and you aren't supporting dodgy knock-off merchants.

Jun 4, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #37 of 39
I recently bought a pair from an ebay seller. When it comes to performance of fake ones they are very bad, only thing that sounds kinda good is bass. After a lot of time spent with adjusting equalizator you can actually get something that you can listen without your ears bleeding but it's not worth those 5 dollars...
Here are photos ; You can see how they look after dissembling. Carrying pouch is kinda nice...

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #39 of 39
I bought some off eBay for $6 recently, they sound horrendous, I mean ugh they sound like cheap buds you would get at a corner store, I bought them for the hell of it but man I did not expect that bad a sound even for fakes.

I wonder how the real ex700 sounds though, I'll probably never know because the ex600 is next on my list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back