Real time VST effects using pc line in and out
Aug 8, 2010 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

JennaFF

100+ Head-Fier
Is there a way to use a computer in a way that lets me use a VST plugin on audio coming into the computer in real time, while having the new audio come out the line out port at the same time. I don't really know how to word it to be any more clear, but think of it like a "super guitar pedal" but for something else.

Aug 8, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 9
http://www.google.com/search?q=vst+host+realtime
yaisse3.gif

Aug 8, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 9
Im sitting here grinning like an idiot because this is just so amazing. This is what i did:
dell pocket DJ --> mic in on usb sound card ---> VST effect ----> headphone out on usb sound card

Aug 8, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 9
This type of stuff is common place in the PC recording world.
Many guitarist use effects in this way....very useful and you can get alot of different sounds.
It helps if you have an interface that you can just plug the guitar into and then process and output it.  I have been messing with these type of fx for years...
You can also use such FX and a decent soundcard for I/O to process any audio you want.
Graphics and parametric EQ's, delays and other fx are all out there to play with.
Have fun.

Aug 8, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #7 of 9
Wait, another question...it seems like there is no channel separation, for example in one song, audio is only supposed to be in the left ear, but it is in both when I do it like this

Aug 8, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Wait, another question...it seems like there is no channel separation, for example in one song, audio is only supposed to be in the left ear, but it is in both when I do it like this

Without knowing
- which VST effect are you using and is it set to output stereo or mono?
- audio device settings there in software ?
- what are you doing there ... is it through mirophone (is it stereo or mono microphone)

, I can only say you're maybe just in mono mode.

If you're trying to play something through mick input along music playing on background, it might be easier to use software as like Cockos Reaper (google reaper). These type software may look complicated first but, are quite easy to learn and use even with no previous knowledge over multitracking software.

jiitee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back