REAL picture of the new IPOD SHUFFLE
Jan 17, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspin14m
Compare the shuffle with other 512 mb mp3 players and you realize that the price is very reasonable. The only player with 512 megs that comes close with a screen is the SanDisk at 120+ shipping. And that is a SanDisk player...which you wouldnt trust if you have had San Disk Memory lol.

I want to get the MacMini and hook it up to a large LCD TV (plasma's burn in rapidly boo
rolleyes.gif
). I am working on this game room concept and I think the idea of picture in picture with a 43 inch LCD hanging from the ceiling/wall (not sure yet) and ESPN.com/ESPN split while I play pool is a killer idea. All in all with the upgrades I need (wifi/bluetooth and a wireless keyboard) it will cost me like 800 bucks. Not horrible if you think about the ability to use it as a DVD player occasionally.

Yes, it's cheaper than the my N10, and not having a screen stops you looking at it. This may be a giid thing since the main reason if a DAP is to play music, not look at pictures. Being able to controls it without looking is important.

One example can be taken from PDA remote. All seem very flexible until you realise you don't normally look at your remote, and the touch screen doesn't have the tactile feedback of contoured buttons...

Jan 17, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Compare the shuffle with other 512 mb mp3 players and you realize that the price is very reasonable. The only player with 512 megs that comes close with a screen is the SanDisk at 120+ shipping. And that is a SanDisk player...which you wouldnt trust if you have had San Disk Memory lol.

Creative Muvo TX 512mb $118
Creative Muvo N200 512mb $120
Sandisk 512mb $103
Lexar 256mb expandable $90

Not really to hard to find if you look. These all have screens on them and they don't cost that much more. I'm not saying the shuffle's price is unreasonable, but I just think it isn't to intuative to not include a screen on a player that has 512mb capacity. I mean what if you don't want to play your songs on shuffle? Then you have to listen to each song and hope you don't skip the one you want...

And for those of you that say a screen doesn't matter because you'll just be in the gym, then you shouldn't need such a high capacity since you don't spend that much time in a gym. A simple 128mb player will be enough for most people.

Quote:

Plenty fast enough for itunes and SAFE internet use.

You can get a regular computer with a minitor, mouse, keyboard, and a printer for about the same price. Regarding your comment of SAFE internet use, I assume you are referring to windows. Most of the world uses it and they seem to be in pretty good health. I myself use it and haven't had any worms yet.

Jan 17, 2005 at 9:51 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dosun
You can get a regular computer with a minitor, mouse, keyboard, and a printer for about the same price. Regarding your comment of SAFE internet use, I assume you are referring to windows. Most of the world uses it and they seem to be in pretty good health. I myself use it and haven't had any worms yet.

Let's see, I've had two worms and one virus on my PC at work in the past year, and it's behind our company's firewall. We also have an entire lab full of computers (a couple of dozen machines) get infected so badly that it took three days to resurrect them. This despite the fact that every machine at work has the latest in virus/worm protection software and that our IT folks take active measures to protect us.

I have three Macs at home, all networked together wirelessly and all connected to the internet. Zero worms and zero viruses in the past two years.

Jan 17, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Let's see, I've had two worms and one virus on my PC at work in the past year, and it's behind our company's firewall. We also have an entire lab full of computers (a couple of dozen machines) get infected so badly that it took three days to resurrect them. This despite the fact that every machine at work has the latest in virus/worm protection software and that our IT folks take active measures to protect us.

I really don't want to start a pc vs mac war here so this will be my last statement regarding this matter. I don't dislike macs by the way if that is the impression you are getting.

If you actually looked at the amount of people that uses a Windows computer vs the number of people that actually get worms, virus, system crashes on a regular basis you would actually see percentage wise, it really isn't that big. I've been using windows xp for the past two years and I've never had a problem with it either.

Jan 17, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #20 of 21
i only get viruses when i go to certain *choice* websites or use p2...i mean *special* programs. the reason people get viruses is because they do STUPID things like that. Otherwise, smart browsing is your best protection against getting viruses. don't open emails if you don't recognize the sender. don't download "ultimate emoticon pack 5000" or "poker buddy." Doesn't hurt to have a firewall in place and an AV running either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back