Real or Fake??
Mar 23, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #31 of 44
Mar 23, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #32 of 44
That one looks correct.
An adapter is going to be a male plug with a female input jack in the back.  An end plug is simply going to have a hole in the back for the wire.  The employees at Radioshack or Fry's should be able to help you so that you don't buy the wrong thing.  I do think that they carry them but I don't know.

Mar 23, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #33 of 44
I was hoping the subject was implants...

very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 23, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #34 of 44
Alright, I guess I'll just go to the store and ask them for help so I don't get the wrong thing haha

So when I cut my headphone wire, theres 4 wires inside right?  left sound, right sound, and 2 ground i think?/

How do I tell which is which?? (like which side is the left sound, whichis right sound, etc)

The left sound goes to the longer tab? I think?

Right sound shorter one, then the 2 others to the bottom part?

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #35 of 44
The 2 grounds might be connected together into just one wire.  I'm not really sure which is which, but I'm sure they're colored or something.  You should be able to figure out which tabs to solder them to with a multimeter, or you can look up some guides/images.
You can sort of just clip the wires onto the tabs and stick the plug into a mp3 player to make sure that everything is working before soldering.

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #36 of 44
I don't have a multimeter -___- aha isn't red usually the left? or I forget... 

but say I clipped the left sound to the right tab and the right sound to the left tab, the sound would be switched if I tried the headphones right?

So that's one way to check which wires which??

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #37 of 44

I don't have a multimeter -___- aha isn't red usually the left? or I forget... 

but say I clipped the left sound to the right tab and the right sound to the left tab, the sound would be switched if I tried the headphones right?

So that's one way to check which wires which??

Mar 23, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #38 of 44
Yes, that's right, just clip the wires on and test the sound channels.  You can plug them into a computer and pan the sound to the left or right or maybe use something like the virtual barbershop.

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #39 of 44
Alright, so I don't really need a multimeter? It'd just be easier with one?

And before I solder....I have to attach the cable to the tabs right....The cables inside are REALLY thin and fragile aren't they?  So how do I attach them?  Do I bend the end around the tab? Or just place it against it

And if I mess up soldering, I know I can cut the wire further up but will the plug be messed up?

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #40 of 44
They're not REALLY thin and fragile, just a bit smaller than wires that you might be used to working with.  You don't really need to "attach" the wires to the tabs because that's what soldering does.  If there are holes in the tabs then you can stick the wires through and bend them to make soldering easier.  It's up to you if you just want to place the wires against the tabs or bend them, there isn't really a right way it's just preference.  If you mess up soldering you can just desolder and try again, the plug won't be screwed up.

Just a tip, if you haven't soldered before, make sure both the wire and the tab are pretty much hot enough to melt the solder before applying solder.  If you simply put molten solder onto the wire and tab while they're still cool then the solder will not stick.

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #43 of 44
Alright, I'll see what happens.  Probably planning to buy it in a week or so, then going to go buy my solder and see what I can do :)

Also bought a Fiio e5 supposed to come in a day or two

Users who are viewing this thread

Back