Real Hip Hop recommendations!
Feb 10, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #316 of 637
Victor Vasquez would like to respectfully disagree.

"Second best rapper with glasses after E-40"
lol.

Quote:
EWWW E-40! Please, everyone on this forum can you at least agree with me that E-40 is terrible?

Feb 10, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #317 of 637
As far as Jay-z one of my favs from him is Amercian gangsta. All the other stuff can go to hell.

Feb 10, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #318 of 637

Quote:
Victor Vasquez would like to respectfully disagree.

"Second best rapper with glasses after E-40"
lol.

Quote:
EWWW E-40! Please, everyone on this forum can you at least agree with me that E-40 is terrible?

Haha, why would he even mention E-40 o__O. 

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #319 of 637

Quote:
That's a sick lineup right there. Sage, Paz & Ill Bill, Binary Star, Sick Jacken.. A ton of great ones.

As for Jay Z, he really is not a skilled lyricist, like I've said before. I must admit I have never heard of the old mixtapes you speak of, but rappers rarely lose their abilities with time (Eminem being the exception that makes the rule), so I doubt Jay Z had any abilities in the first place. I've even heard stories about people ghostwriting for Jay Z, but as it stands those are just rumors obviously. If you're looking for good writing see the likes of Sadistik (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLe87OXTokA a bit on the emotional side but great poetry nonetheless), Sage Francis or Heiruspecs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmZ9umLuEp0).

Jay Z has some good lines and some clever punchlines, but overall he's mediocre at best. And Big Daddy Kane -- among others -- pioneered the style which Jay Z used/uses. Jay Z wasn't original when he first came out and he sure as heck isn't original now. The reason he's so succesful is because of the businessman in him.. It's the same story with 50 Cent. Actually you could say Jay Z is the first 50 Cent (but more talented, even I can give him that much credit). 

They make pop-music; something that sells but is horribly compromised as far as lyrics, subject matter and sounds go. Liking Jay Z is one thing but people tend to horribly overrate him as an artist and exaggerate the things he's supposedly done for hip-hop (for establishing money, women and bragging as popular subject matter? Thanks a bunch Shawn).

It's not that artists lose their ability to rap. They just change their style and no longer put their creativity to use like they used to. There are TONS of good emcees from the 90s that have released nothing but garbage in the 2000s. There are too many to name. Can they still rap like they used to? Probably... but only if they still have the passion. After many years of being in the game and with all of that income, they lose their passion and start releasing garbage to please the mainstream crowd. I bet you if 2Pac was alive right now, he would probably release some lame songs for the radio featuring T-Pain or something.

BTW you do know that when Kane battled Jay-Z for the first time, Jay-Z beat him right? Not saying that freestyling will necessarily lead to good music but it led to Jay becoming Kane's protege.

Anyways, I feel ridiculous for defending a rapper I dont even like...

Feb 12, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #322 of 637
Not into hip hop that much, but every now and then something comes along I kinda like., mostly because of the beats or sample

Feb 16, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #325 of 637
Wow, the first song in the video is probably my favorite by hiero. What did they do for Del's parts? I also love Oakland Blackouts. 

Feb 17, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #327 of 637
I don't know if anyone mentioned Fort Minor, it's one of the very few hip-hop/rap stuff I listen to.

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #330 of 637

Quote:
its a shame fort minor doesnt have more songs. there album was good, but then nothing more came

Yeah I wish they would make more music, but Mike Shinoda is more concentrated with Linkin Park.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back