Real Hip Hop recommendations!
Nov 7, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #631 of 637
  Haven't listened through enough times to know every verse but I'd definitely say that is an example of a creatively written verse, both in content and delivery. And let's remember that average for Em is still leagues above most. 

I'm not an Eminem fanboy, but I do think that he is automatically discredited because of factors that have nothing to do with his raps. 

lol props for catching that. Not many would.

Nov 7, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #632 of 637
  You can't tell me that the newest album isn't on par with anything else that has come out this year. Just because he's not exactly "fresh on a scene" doesn't negate the quality of what is on his record. I'm not saying he's the end all, but certainly more listenable than anything by 2 chainz, wayne, drake, or anyone from MMG. 

Stop. Go listen to NWTS. Easily his best album and very progressive considering how radio friendly his sound is. 

Other than that, some of the recent mixtapes/albums I've enjoyed have been Blue Chips 2, My Name is My Name, INNANETAPE, and Old (by Action Bronson, Pusha T, Vic Mensa, and Danny Brown, respectively. As dangerous as it may be to say this, I think 2013 has been a very good year for hip hop.

Nov 8, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #634 of 637
Stop. Go listen to NWTS. Easily his best album and very progressive considering how radio friendly his sound is. 

Other than that, some of the recent mixtapes/albums I've enjoyed have been Blue Chips 2, My Name is My Name, INNANETAPE, and Old (by Action Bronson, Pusha T, Vic Mensa, and Danny Brown, respectively. As dangerous as it may be to say this, I think 2013 has been a very good year for hip hop.

I'll give it a go.

I agree, the freshman class of 2013 is one of the strongest ever.

Nov 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #636 of 637
Just getting up on this thread and am going to go back and through and try to get some of the recommendations... Thanks for keeping it alive. The beauty about Hip-Hop is that it has evolved so much over time but at the same time is exactly the same as it always has been, beats and lyrics...just like all forms of music there are different styles, and sub genres...so "real" is subjective.

Also...my 2 cents on the Eminem conversation....Em is clearly a "real hip hop artist", it's not even worth debating. But I will say this latest effort is highly disappointing...too much singing (by him vs rapping, the guest hooks are usually alright but him singing almost full songs doesn't work) and just doesn't flow in a lot of places. There are few gems in there, but overall disappointing. And a lot of recycled lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back