Real Hip Hop recommendations!
Jan 20, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #227 of 637

Just going to throw in some recommendations, since it seems like the thrust of the posts moved away from Roots-centricity.

Yelawolf's Trunk Muzik 0-60 is a really amazing record

Kanye's MBDTF is, despite (because people are "haters") all the acclaim, really one of the transcendent rap albums of all-time. I would honestly put it up with my second-favorite (genre-blind) album of all-time, Illmatic.

Odd Future has some of the most vile, offensive raps, but they are really something. The principles (of the 11 member, teenaged LA rap crew) are Tyler, the Creator and Earl. Their two mixtapes are pretty amazing if you can get over their immaturity and offensiveness.

Blu & Exile's Below The Heavens is a beautiful, old-school-sounding rap album from 2007.

And of course, Das Racist's Sit Down, Man is a modern classic. Amazing rap duo/trio based out of Queens. Funny, smart, awesome. One of the members, Himanshu, has some posts on Videogum. He's a smart dude.

Diddy's album from 2010 is a slept-on banger.

Roc Marciano's Marcberg is a gritty, powerful record from last year.

Rick Ross's album from last year is really good, too, if you like his blustery sound.

Jan 20, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #228 of 637
Yelawolf Trunk Musik 0-60 came out!? When and where.....-runs off to go see....wooohooo-

As far as J-cole....he fell off Jay-z is wack and the other guy is too. Kanye is the only one over there making good music to me Blueprint 3 was cool but the replay value is low.

Jan 21, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #229 of 637
kanye is one of the dudes to me that has went overly commercial with himself, dont get me wrong i LOVE his old stuff but i just have stopped listening to him ever since he dropped 808's and heartbreak j cole is where its at, i listen to him alot. also just to give you guys someone who is pretty popular but you may not have heard of him check out joell ortiz his new mixtape is FIRE http://www.datpiff.com/RAPRELAPSECOM_Joell_Ortiz_Intervention_Joell_Or.m190687.html hes part of a group named slaughterhouse, you could check them out to here http://www.datpiff.com/DJ_Skandalous_DJ_Henny_Slaughterhouse_Joe_Budden.m113200.html

Jan 21, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #230 of 637
Interesting I'll have check it out....as far as J-cole I liked The Warm Up as well as The Come-Up as far as the rest.....he bumped his head into the wall. As a matter of fact about a month ago he presented Jay-Z with his cd and was turned down. Kanye has indeed gone commercial not all the way in a Kanye way....weird but yeah. I don't listen to much Kanye but he's nice.

Jan 21, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #231 of 637
Yeah, Slaughterhouse is pretty old school. I can't remember the last guy, but I know Royce da 5'9" and Joell are in it. Or maybe there's four members? Can't remember. Anyway, they're not bad at all.

Jan 22, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #234 of 637
Haha it's alright ortiz is obviously the best sputter of them all. Did I see lupe fiasco named on this thread forget, but anyways he's sweet, his new lasers cd comes out march 8th I believe. I always enjoy his music. Also I saw jay electronics mentioned he's also very good imo

Jan 22, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #235 of 637

Quote:
Haha it's alright ortiz is obviously the best sputter of them all. Did I see lupe fiasco named on this thread forget, but anyways he's sweet, his new lasers cd comes out march 8th I believe. I always enjoy his music. Also I saw jay electronics mentioned he's also very good imo

Lupe is definitely amazing. He has that new single "Words I never said" coming out February first, can't wait for that.

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #239 of 637
I've tried listening to Gang Starr many times before but it's been hard to get over the incredibly dry delivery.  As for Lupe, the only song I know from his new album is "The Show Goes On".  The beat is pretty cool but the rapping seems to be a bit more generic than I've come to expect from Lupe, although he got old for me a long time ago anyways.

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #240 of 637
Artist's usually release more mainstream and catchy songs as singles before the album comes out to hype it up. I actually really like the show goes on, but I bet his album will have tons of lyrical gems on it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back