Real Hip Hop recommendations!
Jan 18, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #211 of 637
Actually, like I said before (or tried to say), there are some standards as to what real hip-hop is. Just because someone thinks something is real doesn't make it real, in this case anyway. What's good and what's bad is entirely subjective, but real and fake are not.

Let's see if I can put it down in a simple manner:

Real (art) = Self expression, period. No compromise as far as artistic views go.

Fake (entertainment) = Not made as self expression; the main motive was something other than artistic expression, eg. money, fame, women... Compromised artistic views.

That's it pretty much. Expression is the driving force behind ALL art. What was made as self expression and what wasn't can be argued, but usually people who know their stuff have pretty similar views on the matter.

Also I think it's worth pointing out that the mass-media generally has little idea about art, and it's most painfully obvious when they're talking about more obscure and 'modern' music genres, so I wouldn't take anything MTV/The Daily Mail say too seriously. It's like hearing a 13-year old talk about cars: Hasn't actually driven one, but he did watch the latest episode of Top Gear so he's an expert.

Jan 18, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #213 of 637

Quote:
I agree, I wasn't calling Kesha a rapper. The globe and mail was. I'm not sure if you know what that is but that is one of if not the biggest newspaper in Canada

Yeah man, I was just posting to HerkFE. Me and him have been going back and forth in this thread for quite a while lol. Yeah, I'm from New Hampshire, so we tons of Canadian stuff here. The supermarket I used to work at sold that paper, and people complained because of the price, haha.

Jan 18, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #214 of 637

Quote:
Has anyone heard of the rapper A-1? He's definitely one of the best upcoming emcees. If you haven't listened to any of his work, make sure you check out After School Special. He remixes popular 90's tv show themes and raps over them. It's a great concept.

http://a-1music.bandcamp.com/album/after-school-special

Yeah, my friend turned me on to this guy. He reminds me a lot of MF DOOM. I love the tv show remixes, something about them just screams old school. You heard of Felt? Murs and Slug, and then there's Outasight. He's super underground.

Jan 18, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #216 of 637

Quote:
Yeah man, I was just posting to HerkFE. Me and him have been going back and forth in this thread for quite a while lol. Yeah, I'm from New Hampshire, so we tons of Canadian stuff here. The supermarket I used to work at sold that paper, and people complained because of the price, haha.

You either don't or just refuse to get the point I have been trying to make and getting banned or an infraction going back and forth with you is not worth it to me.

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #217 of 637
That's what I said days ago, remember? Anyways, like I said I have nothing against you man, at all. I apologized for my posts, and told you I even listened to UGK and Scarface. Let's start from the beginning. My name is dub Beatz, aka John, and I like many old school underground hip hop artists. 

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #219 of 637
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh3MAHq-HQM

Just discovered this little gem. Critical Madness - 1st Amendment Ft. Sabac Red.

Jan 19, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #220 of 637

Quote:
Tracklist:

01. Jay Electronica – Shiny Suit Theory (Feat. Jay-Z & The Dream)
02. J. Cole – 2 Face
03. Jay Electronica – Jazzmatazz (Guru Tribute) (Feat. Tone Tresure)
04. Jay-Z – The Joy (Feat. Kanye West, Pete Rock, Kid Cudi, Charlie Wilson & Curtis May Field)
05. Jay Electronica – Higher (Feat. The Game & Swizz Beatz)
06. Jay-Z – Watch Me
07. J. Cole – In The Morning (Feat. Drake)
08. Jay Electronica – Ghost Of Chistopher Wallace (Feat. Diddy)
09. J. Cole – Look In The Mirror (Remix) (Feat. Yo Gotti, Wale & Wiz Khalifa)
10. J. Cole – Villematic
11. Jay-Z – So Appalled (Feat. Kanye West & Swizz Beatz)
12. Jay-Z – Most Kingz
13. Jay Electronica – Just Begun (Feat. Talib Kweli, J. Cole & Mos Def)
14. Jay Electronica – Exhibit C
15. J. Cole – I’m Coming Home
16. Jay-Z – Hot Toddy (Feat. Lil Kim & Usher)
17. Jay-Z – Monster (Feat. Rick Ross Kanye West, Nicki Minaj & Bon Iver)
18. J. Cole – Back To The Topic
19. Jay Electronica – The Announcement
20. J. Cole – Leave Me Alone (Feat. Kevin Cossom)
21. Jay Electronica – Prowler (Feat. Joell Ortiz & Mos Def)
22. J. Cole – Meddafore
23. J. Cole – You Got It (Feat. Wale)
24. Jay-Z – Song Cry (Blend)

Just DL'd this joint this morning really enjoying it..

Jan 19, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #223 of 637

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #224 of 637

Quote:
Quote:
So many J's haha.

I know right....the mixtape is really enjoyable though

I'm confused, I honestly don't know much about Roc Nation. Does it have to to with Jay-Z's Rockefeller Records? I haven't listened to J. Cole much, but Jay-Z used to be amazing, and Jay Electronica is awesome. I love Exhibit C.

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #225 of 637
I think they are all just signed by Jay-Z which I think due to giving Dame Dash the Roc A Fella label name may have created his own label under the Roc Nation moniker but I am really not sure to be honest.

Quote:
I'm confused, I honestly don't know much about Roc Nation. Does it have to to with Jay-Z's Rockefeller Records? I haven't listened to J. Cole much, but Jay-Z used to be amazing, and Jay Electronica is awesome. I love Exhibit C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back