Real Hip Hop recommendations!
Jan 16, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #197 of 637
Well this discussion really took off didn't it :p Scarface has some pretty awesome stuff actually, most notably In Between Us ft. Nas.

Someone said something about someone being elitist for hating mainstream, and I get that all the time (mostly because I am elitist, but I digress). It's not that something going mainstream or selling a lot automatically means it becomes bad and fake, but rather that the 'general public' usually buys and likes one dimensional/shallow/simple stuff over deeper stuff, thus keeping the artists who'd rather express their thoughts than entertain 13-year olds firmly underground. I can however admit that I liked the Airplanes in the sky are like shooting stars -song, and a load of other songs one would consider mainstream (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wro1-dQPHIg). Most people don't want to think too much when listening to music, and your brain certainly can take a fiver when the lyrical wordplay is on the level of I GET MONEY I I GET MONEY MONEY I GET MONEY I GET etc. Or TO THE WINDOW, TO THE WALL, TILL THE --

Plus most of the stories told by real rappers are not exactly cheerful (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5VM-sjWkKA) and I guess most people would rather hear stuff about next friday's trip to the discothèque than about something depressing. Can't really blame 'em either. I however think that rap is all about getting that bad stuff off your chest, a subject that has inspired me to write 30+ songs during the last year and a half for my first 'album' (subtle marketing, score!).

It's hard to say which artist is real and who is not. Ill Bill used to make some great stuff solo and with Non-Phixion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqScOIKDmUQ, for example), but on the flipside he puts on an act that honestly annoys the hell out of me (the usual 'watch me I'm a gangster I kill everyone' -act). Xzibit has some sick songs that reek of realness (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T10vLpTkTAM), but he also has songs that reek of everything-but (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi5Mq-7_dls).

There are some who never stray from the path of real (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9oL1PVX1rs), but truth be told they are fairly few and fairly far in-between.

Also worth pointing out that good & bad, real & fake have nothing to do with each other. Good/bad is 100% subjective, but real/fake is at least somewhat objective.

Peace,

"Kissk"

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #198 of 637
See Kiis I have no issue with your views because one you admit your bias. Secondly you have an analytical non judgemental approach to your critiques of music. I have no issue intelligently discussing music I had issue with another individual bashing musical preferences and then acting as if he didn't attack people. 

Nothing wrong with having an elitist feeling to music as long as you don't knock everyone elses tastes as inferior and share the same level of respect they provide you.

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #199 of 637
I always thought of k-os as good hip-hop since he tells a story and always has a good beat. 

I disagree with people saying that Kanye doesn't tell a story, especially since that is one of the main reasons that I, as well as many others like him is his ability to tell stories.  He rarely raps about drugs, cars, money or girls, and when he does, he does it as a joke or poking fun of himself.  I would agree his lyrics are not the best, but his beats are amazing in my opinion

Jan 16, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #203 of 637
Ok seriously, disregard anything I've ever said in the past. That post was just a "real hip hop recommendation.' I wasn't saying MF DOOM is the best, it's obvious he's not. I was just letting other members know he has quite the discography. I really loved his live Expektoration album though, with Big Ben the Klingon. That was sick.

Jan 17, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #204 of 637
To everyone arguing remember every one has a different definition on everything including real hip-hop. If they think tweety-bird is real hip-hop there right in there own way.....maybe a little loose in the head but right.

Jan 17, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #205 of 637

Quote:
To everyone arguing remember every one has a different definition on everything including real hip-hop. If they think tweety-bird is real hip-hop there right in there own way.....maybe a little loose in the head but right.

Exactly, the globe and mail considers Kesha to be a rapper. So maybe the writers would also think that her songs are the definition of real hip hop

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #206 of 637

Quote:
Quote:

Exactly, the globe and mail considers Kesha to be a rapper. So maybe the writers would also think that her songs are the definition of real hip hop

That's stretching things a bit. Anyone with a brain knows Kesha isn't a rapper. She's some dumb girl who sings and talks with autotune. She falls under the pop category for me.

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #207 of 637

Quote:
That's stretching things a bit. Anyone with a brain knows Kesha isn't a rapper. She's some dumb girl who sings and talks with autotune. She falls under the pop category for me.

Dude you don't learn your lesson at all do you? The point of the post you responded to was that if someone considers Kesha real hip hop it is no one elses place to pass judgement on their viewpoint. You have inadvertently trolled this topic by not allowing things you don't agree with to just be left alone. Post on the topic, post your opinions, but keep your opinions of other peoples opinions to yourself. 

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #208 of 637
I will agree with dub beatz, but just because I do not think the Globe and Mail has any right to call her a rapper.  However i also agree with HerkFE because that was my point of my post.

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #209 of 637
I'm not sure what you mean by "learn my lesson." I apologized for posting a skewed viewpoint on my thoughts regarding hip hop. I'm really hoping, however, you don't consider Kesha a rapper, or even real hip hop for that matter. If that's the case you seriously need to reassess your musical interests, lol. Get off your mighty horse and admit Kesha isn't a rapper, please. I haven't trolled anything. This is the Real Hip Hop Recommendation thread, and I've made some real hip hop recommendations. 

edit: I knew that's what you were getting across Andtobis. I was just saying, Kesha has no place to consider herself a rapper, or real hip hop for that matter. I think someone like Gucci Mane would have been a better example haha. Kesha doesn't even know what to call herself. She's too busy experiencing the lime light. It won't be long before she dies off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back