Originally Posted by antiant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
um horror core is alive and well, it's underground

i stand corrected then.
could you recommend something current?

music_man

Jan 12, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #49 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may want to check out Clipse's new disc which was dropped real low key on nov 28th, 2006, and has only sold something like 80,000 copies:

Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury

I just picked it up last night but so far its hot as hell and the snobby rock critics are going crazy over it. The lyrics are a lot of the same typical stuff about making crack and wearing diamonds, but the flow is competent, and the beats, which are 100% produced by the Neptunes, are transcendental. I mean really fly beats, if you are into that Pharrell sound.

Damn i love some of the track in this album, but the more i read to op need the lesser i think this will fit is need
tongue.gif

This is one of the worst record for good lyrics that i have. And let's forget the live musician part since it is also an electro album.
I just tought of something, maybe if we post youtube link to good video of artists we are talking about he will get a better idea of what we are proposing.

Ill start this with one of my all time favorite song Blackmoon - I gotcha opin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Fx-rzI5AFY

Jurassic 5 - The influence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9FbRN-w4Wk

MF DOOM - Dead bent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A1uaks0d7k

Mr. Lif - A day at the plantation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLhBcdFiIDA

New jedi mind tricks video Heavy metal king with ill bill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O-L-t7TAis

Eric B and Rakim - Paid in full remix for old timer
wink.gif
(still realy hot)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRCiRUjJcjw

Most rugged video i ever saw, french artist kerry james - hardcore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1asQIpyF_E

That's it for today nappy watching

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #50 of 637
Just finished Jill Scott "Who is Jill Scott" it wasn't that great. 6 out of 19 tracks made it to my iPod. The tracks that didn't, I really have no wish of ever hearing again. I just kept them for album integrity. I doubt I'd ever listen to the full album again though. This is just another album where a few tracks get put into playlist and shuffled in with other music.

When she's singing it's all good, most the time. She does more speaking than singing. Great poetry... but I don't buy music to listen to people receit poetry. Tracks I liked were Do You Remember, A Long Walk, He Loves Me (Lyzel in E Flat), Slowly Surely, One Is the Magic # and Brotha. I wouldn't buy another one of her albums.

I also finished the Roots Illadelph Halflife. 4 out of 20 made it on my iPod. I found it less accessible than Phrenology. There was to much rapping on there. If that makes any sense. I don't know if the group changed vocalist or something, but I just really didn't like the style of rapping on this album. It was too much... Tracks I liked were Section, What They Do, Concerto of the Desperado, Clones. I couldn't listen to this straight through. It was tiring on my ears. Three tracks I deleted off my computer cause it was too much.

Things fall apart was an improvement 5 out of 18 made it on my iPod. Overall I felt the album flowed better. This is an albums highlights for me were The Next Movement, Step Into The Relm, The Spark, Ain't Sayin' Nothin' New and You Got Me.

Although what bugs me a bit is that these first two albums they rap alot how they are better than other rappers. Which is something I never really liked about Rap. Although there is a very healthy dose of this on Phrenology I feel it was delivered better with mixes of other subjects. These two albums just make me appreciate Phrenology a whole lot more. Getting thier back catalog may have not been the best move but atleast I got a few good tracks. I'll have to hear Game theory first before I purchase it.

This is fun though. I mainly listen to Rock and Trip Hop, although everyone in my house listens to Hip Hop I was never really able to get into it. So finding a few Hip Hop gems here and there is great
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm really loving having more diversity in my playlist.

Still waiting on immortal technique, gym class heroes and deltron 3030.

Jan 12, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #51 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just finished Jill Scott "Who is Jill Scott" it wasn't that great. 6 out of 19 tracks made it to my iPod. The tracks that didn't, I really have no wish of ever hearing again. I just kept them for album integrity. I doubt I'd ever listen to the full album again though. This is just another album where a few tracks get put into playlist and shuffled in with other music.

When she's singing it's all good, most the time. She does more speaking than singing. Great poetry... but I don't buy music to listen to people receit poetry. Tracks I liked were Do You Remember, A Long Walk, He Loves Me (Lyzel in E Flat), Slowly Surely, One Is the Magic # and Brotha. I wouldn't buy another one of her albums.

I also finished the Roots Illadelph Halflife. 4 out of 20 made it on my iPod. I found it less accessible than Phrenology. There was to much rapping on there. If that makes any sense. I don't know if the group changed vocalist or something, but I just really didn't like the style of rapping on this album. It was too much... Tracks I liked were Section, What They Do, Concerto of the Desperado, Clones. I couldn't listen to this straight through. It was tiring on my ears. Three tracks I deleted off my computer cause it was too much.

Things fall apart was an improvement 5 out of 18 made it on my iPod. Overall I felt the album flowed better. This is an albums highlights for me were The Next Movement, Step Into The Relm, The Spark, Ain't Sayin' Nothin' New and You Got Me.

Although what bugs me a bit is that these first two albums they rap alot how they are better than other rappers. Which is something I never really liked about Rap. Although there is a very healthy dose of this on Phrenology I feel it was delivered better with mixes of other subjects. These two albums just make me appreciate Phrenology a whole lot more. Getting thier back catalog may have not been the best move but atleast I got a few good tracks. I'll have to hear Game theory first before I purchase it.

This is fun though. I mainly listen to Rock and Trip Hop, although everyone in my house listens to Hip Hop I was never really able to get into it. So finding a few Hip Hop gems here and there is great
smily_headphones1.gif

Hummm don't know if you will like immortal technique, the more i read your comments the more i see that you actualy like a good instrumental with catchy hook, more accessible stuff. Immortal is more about the message than the music, even if i love this stuff the message is the first in here the music second. But he is a realy inteligent cat and know a lot about social inequity (don't know if that word even exist inégalité sociale in french). I believe you will love about 5 or 6 track on the deltron album, still the more accessible track and gym class i don't know ennuf to tell. Anyway you should have a great mini rap collection after these, hope you will gather more later on. I will think of LP that match what you are trying to find based on the track you kept. And the journey continue
cool.gif

BTW Could you post a top 10 of your rock trip hop album that would be cool

Jan 12, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #52 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by luidge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn i love some of the track in this album, but the more i read to op need the lesser i think this will fit is need
tongue.gif

This is one of the worst record for good lyrics that i have. And let's forget the live musician part since it is also an electro album.

Hehe, you are 100% correct, I always seem to forget what the OP was really asking for and just start recommending hip-hop I like. Also, this was in response to someone who was mentioning best hip-hop of 2006, I wanted that poster to consider the new Clipse disc.

And yes, the lyrical content is shallow, but the flow is decent. Oftentimes if a hip-hop track has a good melody, flow, and beats, I can overlook stereotypical lyrics, as is the case with Slim Thug, who's flow is so ridiculously good I don't care if all he raps about is bentleys and drinkin' at "tha" club.

Quote:

Hummm don't know if you will like immortal technique, the more i read your comments the more i see that you actualy like a good instrumental with catchy hook, more accessible stuff. Immortal is more about the message than the music, even if i love this stuff the message is the first in here the music second.

IT has fantastic lyrics, like Chuck D with more focus and more talent, but you are right when you say its not about the music, which, IMO, is something IT desperately needs to improve if he hopes to continue to release important records. His beats are horrible, weak, boring, bland. Mashed potato sandwich with mayo on white bread. Ugh.

This is why I've been clamoring for IT and Stoupe to collaborate. With IT's unstoppable flow, undeniable intensity, and high quality radical lyrics, coupled with Stoupe's insane talents on the boards and penchant for penning epic melodies... wow!! It gets me pumped up and ready to break something just thinking about it.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 12, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #53 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CunninLynguists
Cage
Tonedeff
Little Brother
The Foreign Exchange
Busdriver
9th Wonder
Kaze
Kev Brown
Lightheaded
Murs
Murs & Slug
Netherworlds
Nicolay
Nujabes
One Be Lo
OutKast
P.O.S
RJD2
Fat Jon
Slum Village
Tech N9ne
Zion I
The Grouch
Eligh
The Grouch & Eligh
Zion I & The Grouch

Damn, that's the best list I've ever compiled.

nice list, and nice av (i have a pair). Also, Atmosphere should be on that list.

Jan 13, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #55 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
KRS-One

enough said

He is Hip Hop

"will they remember me in the next century? / KRS-One early innovator of rap poetry"
biggrin.gif

by all means necessary is one of my favorite discs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Rakim is my favorite godfather MC though.

Jan 13, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #56 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Hmm... you could try those 30 second samples on iTunes to get a better idea before purchasing.

Jan 13, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #57 of 637
Quote:

Hummm don't know if you will like immortal technique, the more i read your comments the more i see that you actualy like a good instrumental with catchy hook, more accessible stuff. Immortal is more about the message than the music, even if i love this stuff the message is the first in here the music second. But he is a realy inteligent cat and know a lot about social inequity (don't know if that word even exist inégalité sociale in french). I believe you will love about 5 or 6 track on the deltron album, still the more accessible track and gym class i don't know ennuf to tell. Anyway you should have a great mini rap collection after these, hope you will gather more later on. I will think of LP that match what you are trying to find based on the track you kept. And the journey continue
cool.gif

BTW Could you post a top 10 of your rock trip hop album that would be cool

My top ten for rock is:
1) Tool - Aenima
2) Deftones - White Pony
3) Evanescence - Fallen
4) Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth
5) Nirvana - Nevermind
6) Stabbing Westward -Darkest Days
7) Dave Matthews - Crash
8) Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News
9) Rage Against The MAchine - Battle Of Los Angeles
10) Linking Park - Meteora

That's more or less in order of preferance. 1 being the highest rated imo.

For Trip Hop as well as a few other electronic genres thrown in.

1) Bjork - Post
2) Sneaker pimps - Becoming X
3) Massive Attack - Mezzanine
4) Lamb - Lamb
5) Cinematic Orchestra - Everyday
6) Moby - Play
7) Crystal Method - Vegas
8) Portishead - Dummy
9) Jaga Jazzist - What We Must
10) RJD2 - Dead Ringer

I love basically all the tracks on those Trip Hop albums. So that's pretty hard to rate in preferance.

Yea the actual music comes first with me. I never focus too much on the message of the song. As long as the melody of the voice compliments the music they could be talking about my mother for all I care. The only artist that I actually focus on the lyrics with are Bjork, because her lyrics really enhance the song and bring meaning to the instruments. Everyone else I pretty much get the jist of what they are trying to say through the music alone.

So far my mini rap collection is looking good. I just picked up the Fugees. I've had their album in the past. I don't like every track but they are pretty damn good. Also Lauryn Hills first album is amazing. But I do like the Score better than miseducation. The score I never get tired of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back