Real Hip Hop recommendations!
Jan 3, 2007 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 637

Digitalbath3737

500+ Head-Fier
So I finally got to sit down and really listen to The Roots. Their "Phrenology" album is amazing! This is the first hip hop album to actually give me an eargasm. I already have "Things Fall Apart" and "Illadelph Halflife" on the way to my house If they are even half as good as "Phrenology" then I'm be happy
biggrin.gif

Anyway what other hip hop bands are similiar to The Roots? I'm not looking for the same exact sound as The Roots. I'm just looking for Hip Hop that's made by real musicians. I'm looking for r&b or rap... No 50 cent, eminem, beyonce, Bow Wow, Fergie type stuff.... I want real musicians
wink.gif

Jan 3, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 637
I was never a big fan of hip-hop, but these are the albums I have purchased based on various threads and recommendations in the past... all are pretty good -

Aesop Rock - Labor Days
Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein
Deltron 3030 - s/t
Dr. Octagon - Dr. Octagonecologyst
RJD2 - Deadringer
Saul Williams - s/t
Viktor Vaughn - Venomous Villain

The Aesop Rock and Deltron disks especially are exceptional.

Jan 3, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 637
I actually bought the Deltron 3030 album a little while back (before my iPod). I got the instrumental version and it was pretty damn good. I've been meaning to pick up thier lyrical version... into the amazon cart it goes!

I have dead ringer and complelty love it. haven't heard his other album... maybe one day I'll pick that up as well... I'll throw in Aesop Rock into the shopping cart as well. The reviews look great.

Thanx for the recommendations!

I also picked up some Jill scott and India Arie as well.

Jan 3, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #4 of 637
im not really into rap, but

Jurassic 5,

2pac (ghetto gospel thugz mansion....etc...are awesome)

i know you said no eminem, but the eminem show is imo a great album (white america, sing for a moment, till i collapse are VG songs for me), and lose yourself is like one of my fav songs ever, but im like 16 and for somereason when that song came out (i guess i was like 12?) it just stuck, along with the eminem show.

but J5 is generally considered GOOD rap.

Jan 3, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 637
gym class heroes & crown city rockers are both " hip hop " groups with real instruments ...

Jan 3, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #6 of 637
Edan - "Beauty and the Beat"
MF Doom - "Doomsday"
Madvillain - "Madvillainy"
Charizma & Peanut Butter Wolf - "Big Shots"

Jan 3, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #10 of 637
Wu-Tang Clan - 36 Chambers
Outkast - Stankonia (Excellent album)
Immortal Technique - Revolutionary Vol. 1 and 2

Jan 3, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #11 of 637
[size=large]Nas - Illmatic[/size]

This is the best hip-hop album of all time.

For the rest I'll give you some 2006 releases, in order of preference (low to high):

TI - King
Braille - Box of Rhymes
Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury
Ghostface Killah - Fishscale
Nas - Hip Hop is Dead
AZ - The Format (simply amazing release, AZ kills it on every track)

I didn't take into account what you "asked" for, as I feel like these are all universal hip hop albums that you really should try out no matter what.

Jan 3, 2007 at 8:00 AM Post #12 of 637
Anything Canadian. IMO that scene is on FIRE. Everywhere I turned there was amazing MCing. Just crazy skills over great beats. I sould suggest CBC radio 3 as a good place to start. K'naan. Mor or Less. It just goes on and on.

Jan 3, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #13 of 637
Mike Ladd. The only "Hip Hop" I have ever even listened to twice. You probably won't like it. Never mind.

Jan 3, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #14 of 637
I'm not big on hip hop / rap myself, but a few that stood out over the years...

Bone thugs and harmony - Creepin On Ah Come Up
Cypress Hill - self-titled, Black sunday, Temples of boom
Lauryn Hill - Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
Fugees - The score

Eminem is very talented, I can't help but like every album he's released.

For something more hardcore...
DMX, while a bit obnoxious, has some good stuff. Check out "It's Dark and Hell Is Hot" and "Flesh of My Flesh, Blood of My Blood". Both are multi-platinum releases from 1998.

I also like this album Eve - Ruff Ryders' First Lady

Jan 3, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #15 of 637
These are my favourite hip hop artists.

Necro
Immortal Technique
MF Doom (and madvillain, viktor vaughn, dangerdoom,)
Aesop Rock
MF Grimm
Slug
Kool Keith
Sage Francis
Eyedea and Abilities
Blood of Abraham
Outerspace
Pharcyde

DanielBurns11: you seem to have a good taste in hip hop, care to list some of those "+many others" ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back