Real Hip Hop recommendations!
Jan 21, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #92 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by luidge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know what they say, to each is own, but i just can't feel this guy, it seem to me like he is another MC that get all the credit yapping about his little beefs with other pop MC. That's what i hate about hip-hop these days, all about the dissin not much love and good stylin. If you compare new stuff to old school rap you'll soon find out that the MC's were talking about everyday stuff and the general aspect of life, now they all get on one another without ever saying something deep that wil make some people stop and think. Good lyrics for me will never be how much someone can diss a people to tears, but more about make people change for the better...so no Game for me...BTW it is true that maybe you are a little to much of a north east cat to rep the WESSSSSST SIDEEEEEE!
tongue.gif

First off i aint 'reppin no side' lol. I just give credit where credit is due. And yes old school hip hop is WAY better than anything in the last 10 years. I could listen to Kool G Rap, and KRS for the rest of my life. But im a little more open try more things. I love all hip hop. East, West, South, Midwest. Everyones got their own styles... well theres some copy cats but i dont listen to them.

And as for diss rhymes compared to rhymin. I gotta say i love a good beef, but nowadays they dont know how to beef. They just make up stuff and call them stupid names. Look at the old beef. The Bridge is Over, No Vasiline, Real Muthafukkkin Gs, The Bit*h In You, Jack The Riper. Those are some real good diss records, i think it brings out the best the the rappers, they try their hardest.

Then theres also the ATCQ and De La rhyming lets just say its all good.

Jan 21, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #93 of 637
I feel you, cased close for me hehe. Hey OP you should realy give Buck 65 - Secret house against the world. All my friends love this one even though they aren't realy into rap music. It's a great LP from the one of the best Canadian MC IMO.

Jan 21, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #94 of 637
Okay so I'm back from my long week away from civilization. Got to listen to immortal technique Vol 1 on my way back. Out of 16 songs 8 made it on to my iPod. Which isn't bad at all, seeing that there was alot of fillers (interludes) and a few speeches (or whatever) from him. I really liked him enough to order his second album. Usually I wouldn't like the striaght out rapping, but the lyrics were just so crazy that you just had to listen. I really didn't feel he flowed so well on most songs. He flowed just enough to get by, so the lyrics really made this album. This is an album I could either mix with other rap or just play it all the way through. But I'd really have to be in the mood for it.

I just recieved Deltron 3030 and Gym Class heroes in the mail. So I'll write later on that.

Jan 21, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #95 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay so I'm back from my long week away from civilization. Got to listen to immortal technique Vol 1 on my way back. Out of 16 songs 8 made it on to my iPod. Which isn't bad at all, seeing that there was alot of fillers (interludes) and a few speeches (or whatever) from him. I really liked him enough to order his second album. Usually I wouldn't like the striaght out rapping, but the lyrics were just so crazy that you just had to listen. I really didn't feel he flowed so well on most songs. He flowed just enough to get by, so the lyrics really made this album. This is an album I could either mix with other rap or just play it all the way through. But I'd really have to be in the mood for it.

I just recieved Deltron 3030 and Gym Class heroes in the mail. So I'll write later on that.

I like Deltron. I think it sounds good. My only problem with 3030 is the lyrics are pretty ridiculous sometimes.

an easy example:
"Psionically bionically forget how you feel"

what is that supposed to mean? I enjoy the creative words he uses but when they appear, to me at least, to be misused it loses a bit of it's appeal.

Jan 21, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #96 of 637
Digitalbath3737 i am realy happy that you like Immortal technique! This have to be one of the better lyricist these days. For Deltron the lyrics are funny because the LP is a projection into a future, lot of sci fi lyrics and the skits just put you in this crazy universe. Del is a real imaginative cats and he build up great world of fiction. Kinda remind me of the 6th elements flic. Enjoy!
BTW what's your name? I find it kinda lame repeat a long username over and over hehe i am Louis

Jan 21, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #97 of 637
I hope you'll like Deltron 3030 since you liked the instrumentals. I usually always recommend Del to people lookin for hip hop. I have to say that Deltron 3030 is one of the most replayable discs I own. It'll need one or two listens with close attention to get the lyrics. Then it can only get better.

Jan 21, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #98 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by luidge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Digitalbath3737 i am realy happy that you like Immortal technique! This have to be one of the better lyricist these days. For Deltron the lyrics are funny because the LP is a projection into a future, lot of sci fi lyrics and the skits just put you in this crazy universe. Del is a real imaginative cats and he build up great world of fiction. Kinda remind me of the 6th elements flic. Enjoy!
BTW what's your name? I find it kinda lame repeat a long username over and over hehe i am Louis

Hey Louis, I'm Joy
smily_headphones1.gif

So after listening to Deltron 3030 I've come to the conclusion that they would go greatly on a playlist with the Gorillaz. Out of 21 songs I like 7 which again isn't bad since every other track is an interlude. It's a fun album. I feel about Deltron 3030 the same way I feel about the Gorillaz. Fun to listen to in a playlist but would never listen to by itself.

I was also listening to gym class heroes "The papercut chronicles". All I know is that I'm going to get more of their stuff. It's really good. I love the flow, the lyrics and music. Out of 18 I like 10. There are 2 interludes in there and 6 songs that I weren't anything special. This is very accessible. I can see this being one of my favorite albums. Not just one of my favorite rap albums but one of my favorite albums period.

So now I have a mixed mp3 cd that a co worker made for me. I'm going to give that a listen as well. Not sure what's on it yet. He just told me it's a lot of good hip hop
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #99 of 637
hey guys/gals where is all the juggalo love? haha.

ok, i think if you take icp with a (very large) grain of salt they are quite entertaining to say the least

i hope i did not just entirely ruin my rep around here
icon10.gif

music_man

Jan 22, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #100 of 637
i always recommend little brother.

everything i have from them i've grown to love.

Feb 14, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #101 of 637
Just a little bump here to know what's your rap situation Joy?
For myself, this thread make me realised that all these great LP were meant to be bought, not stealed from some shady peer to peer network, they realy deserve it!
So i bought something like 20 new CD that match great with my new Cambridge CDP. Here's the list, lot of them already been mention here but what the heck

The roots - Homegrown vol. 1 (best of, you should cop this one)
The Roots - Phrenology (the worst of the roots IMO but im starting to dig it)
Immortal Technique - Revolutionnary Vol.1
Immortal Technique - Revolutionnary Vol.2
Aesop Rock - Labor Days (Classik!)
Dj Shadow - Endthroducing
Buck 65 - Secret house against the world (
cool.gif
)
Clipse - Hell hath no fury (couldn't resist when i saw it in the used pile)
Jurrassic 5 - Feedback...it was cheap...it suck...realy
Busta Rhymes - The big bang...to complete my busta compilation...
Viktor Vaughn - Vaudeville Villain
Viktor Vaughn - Venomous Villain (Great great great stuff here)
Zion I & The Grouch - Heroes in the City of Dope (I was hoping for more, but still pretty good)
Rawkus Record - Best of a decade (This one is for you, a compilation of the cream of the crop from GREAT artist that have been mention here : Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Common, Hi-Tek! I got it for 4 bucks shipped from ebay!!!)

Now sorry folks i need to listen to my new babies
icon10.gif

Feb 14, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #102 of 637
Hey Louis all is going good with my rap situation. I haven't added anything new. But I've been getting to really enjoy the rap that I have. I'm gonna order Gym Class heroes For the kids next month and maybe some DJ Krush Jaku (although it could be considered trip hop) he has a song called Beyond Raging Waves that my friend played for me the other day. It's a great song.

Feb 14, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #103 of 637
Hmm... It takes some thinking, but I've been getting into these albums:

Gym Class Heroes - As Cruel As School Children
OneManArmy - Project F.E.T.U.S. Reissue (Old greatness, plus hot new remixes made by One Be Lo himself)
Jakki The Motamouth - God Vs. Satan (Great concept album, great lyrics, pretty bad beats. Still, very enjoyable)

Yeah, other than that, I've only been listening to stuff that I've been listening to for months already. If you don't have them, check out Sloppy Seconds Vol. 1 & 2 by CunninLynguists and some associates.

Feb 15, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #104 of 637
Just saw this list. I thought I'd chime in, forgive me if I repeat some other suggestions:

These are all not to be missed, I doubt anyone can argue against their veracity:

Tribe Called Quest Low End Theory Almost perfect album

Beastie Boys Check Your Head Very Funky

Public Enemy It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back Well It's pretty hard to beat Chuck D's lyrics and style

MC 900 Foot Jesus Welcome to My Dream Very word jazzy, extremely unique.

Divine Styler Word Power Not to be missed at all, good luck getting it though. One of the real unknowns from the golden age of rap.

De La Soul 3 Feet High and Rising another classic, very musical

Feb 15, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #105 of 637
Eric B and Rakim
Boogie Down Productions and KRS-One
DJ Kool Herc
Leaders of the New School
Rammellzee
Real Roxanne
Roxanne Shante
Kurtis Blow
Doug E Fresh and The Get Fresh Crew
Slick Rick (MC Ricky D)
Marley Marl
Pete Rock
De La Soul
Kool Keith
A Tribe Called Quest (All albums AFTER Midnight Marauders should NOT be considered)
Wu-Tang
Latryx
Lyrics Born
Lateef the Truth Speaker
Blackalicious
Gift of Gab
Quannum Spectrum
Devin the Dude
Deltron 3030
THE COUP
Jean Grae
K-Otix (The Legendary KO)