Ready to plunge into the world of analogue
May 4, 2007 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Meugenio

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Headfi,

It has been a short while since I have last frequented the forums (In search of solid performing headphones [1 open {Grado 225s} 1 closed {Beyerdynamic 770s} 1 IEM {IM716}]). Now my only stereo has officially died, and I was looking to replace it with a nice analouge system. The problem is that I will have to start from scratch and I would like to get the best bang for buck, paying 200-300 in total, including record player, amps, speakers and all. Perhaps I could spend more where it matters, and then have "place-holders" until I can buy the real deal, however am simply looking for solid performers, as I would prefer to spend more on records.

From what I have gathered, it would be most adventageous for me to purchase a vintage turntable, and then build from there (I would aslo like to purchase everything used, as it would seem that I would get the best value in that, yet if there are deals for new goods then so be it).

Please, I would like all the assistance I can get in building a little analouge haven.

May 4, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 16
memepool put together a list of good startup vintage turntables in this thread. I suggest starting with the list of turntables in the thread.

And then scour your local craigslist or ebay (buy from a local seller or someone who knows how to pack a turntable for shipping). I bought my turntable from a local vintage gear collector for less than $50. He also had vintage receivers and speakers for sale, too. You may be able to find someone like that.

Or, if you're a mover and run into a stupid customer like me, you can get a full 80's Kenwood setup -- turntable, amp, receiver, CD player, cassette player, speakers -- for free. Two years ago, I wasn't into hi-fi and gave it all away to one of the movers. We paid $1100 or $1200 in the early 80's. I was just going to throw it all away.

May 4, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
Or, if you're a mover and run into a stupid customer like me, you can get a full 80's Kenwood setup -- turntable, amp, receiver, CD player, cassette player, speakers -- for free. Two years ago, I wasn't into hi-fi and gave it all away to one of the movers. We paid $1100 or $1200 in the early 80's. I was just going to throw it all away.

Dang! That just wouldn't fly in my family. We're all a bunch of packrats. My grandpa is the leader; He's kept everything he's ever found remotely interesting in his life. He has some vintage stoplights that he salvaged from the city that he worked for most of his life. Hehe.

To Meugenio,

It's definatley possible to get everything you're looking for in your pricerange, but it might take months of scouring eBay, your local thrift shops, flea markets, garage sales ect.

May 4, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #5 of 16
I browsed craigslist and ebay (for local sellers) for several weeks before I bought my Pioneer. Be patient and keep looking.

You can also try Audiogon.

May 4, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 16
Meugenio,
How's it going? How are them 225's holding up? FYI that Kenwood is supposed to be a nice entry-level table. I got my Pioneer PL-530 from Craigslist for $25. Also got a Technics SL 1500 from a friend at work for free. I'd try to get that Kenwood for about $75 - $100. Short of that ,be patient, check Craigslist often. Tell everyone you know that you are looking for turntable. You would be suprised by how many people are shocked that I "still" play records.Most people don't want to hassle with vinyl. Good luck with your search.
Russ

May 4, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #7 of 16
I think you need a check-up from your neck up
icon10.gif
What possessed you to do that?! You do Ninja upgrades and Santa give aways
biggrin.gif
Then again...I gave my 400+ albums for free to local thrifty store back in early 90's
frown.gif
Here I am getting started all over again with vinyl.

Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

May 4, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #8 of 16
Sorry for the thread-jack...

What possessed me to do that? I already pleaded stupidity. What more do you want
biggrin.gif
? Never in my wildest imagination did I think that I'd be listening to vinyl in 2007. I mean, c'mon, it's the new millennium, the digital age! Who'd da thunk that people listen to vinyl of all things
biggrin.gif
?

Besides, I thought 20 year old electronics was junk, not "vintage." I never got into speakers because it was not practical for me raising little kids. So I never appreciated that Kenwood system that was in the house and rarely used it.

The thing had less than 100 hours of use and we had it for about twenty years. Actually, my father bought it because, to paraphrase, "A living room ought to have a stereo system."

Before Head-Fi, I rarely listened to music beyond the car stereo and some MP3s here and there and wasn't into hi-fi. So a full size stereo system was a waste of space.

The other thing I regret is somehow losing my Don McLean's American Pie vinyl. I bought it from a used record shop for $20 when I was in high school. Let's all sing it together... starry starry night

May 4, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The other thing I regret is somehow losing my Don McLean's American Pie vinyl. I bought it from a used record shop for $20 when I was in high school.

You should be able to find that one in the used bins for under $5.

See ya
Steve

May 4, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 16
Steve, I feel better knowing that I didn't lose something valuable, but on the other hand, I paid too much twenty years ago. Let's see $15 twenty years ago is probably something like $40 now.
eek.gif

May 5, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meugenio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/ele/304842722.html

My Charlote Craiglist seemingly has only this one worthwhile turntable, what do you think?

Where would I have the best luck with a solid vintage turntable, a pawn shop, a thrift store (I am there frequently for clothes, and they will never break up systems even though I have no intrest in CD players or tape decks) or where else...?

That Kenwood deck is very good indeed. I'd definitely snap that up straight away. I left some of their more high - end decks off my list becuase they are usually quite sought after (in Europe anyway). I'll rectify that.

This is deck along with the KD700/750 was also sold as a KD600 without a tonearm which generally means it's going to be possible to upgrade the tonearm if so desired.

It cost a cool 260UKP in 1980 which is not far off Linn Sondek money at the time. For 125USD it's a steal.

The other system listed in your craigslist with the Garrard Syncro Lab 75 looks quite interesting too.

May 5, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #12 of 16
"I feel better knowing that I didn't lose something valuable, but on the other hand, I paid too much twenty years ago."

Inflation isn't the issue... It's supply and demand. Twenty years ago, more regular people had turntables, and vinyl was easier to sell. Now, people are dumping their old 70s and 80s vinyl for a fraction of what it was worth back then. Only the most collectible titles go for more than a few bucks.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back