Reading Zanth's rew… (RS-1/R-10 considerations).
post-200157
Post #1 of 9

Nik

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Zanth wrote:

“I feel that the RS-1's are able to present a full-bodied musical experience like no other phone I have heard to date. I am told by some R10 owners, that I am meant for them. The HP-1000's are more neutral than the R10's but as has been previously stated on these boards, the R10's brings one closer to the music”. (Zanth)

I had the Grado RS-1 (with both the pads) for 6 years, I have loved this cans a lot, it was the only one in my listening … until the dream to own a R-10 became reality. I like a lot your rew Zanth, very detailed and professional, but the difference between the RS-1 and the R-10 are abyssal (IMO). I know very, very well the Grado, (because I had for 6 years). I do not know the Sony as I know the Grado, but I don’t need 6 days to understand the superiority of the Sony. As you said a “full-bodied musical experience” is exactly the specific of the fabulous R-10. I never heard for ex. the drums so “full” and “real” like I’m hearing with the R-10. But the most evident difference between the two is that the RS-1 with a certain music at hi (but no so hi) volume do not resists. All the instruments play together without the right distance and space around. The R-10 keeps always (any kind of music at any volume level) an exemplar coherence and dignity, they have a kind of “superiority” and a power incredible, never they go mad (as the RS-1 do). The R-10, like no any other cans in the Planet, speaks and plays like a living creature, this is my experience. The only two things that I admit the superiority of the Grado are: weight and price! The only “problem” of the R-10 is to find a same class amplifier.

post-200170
Post #2 of 9

pigmode

Truck-Fi
Reaction score
Since I'm looking for a new headphone, I'm becoming intrigued with the RS-1. Maybe I've been giving Grado short shrift all of this time.

I've heard both the RS-1 and the R 10, and they are so different in character that I can't imagine comparing the two. What else do you like about the RS-1?

post-200223
Post #3 of 9

Zanth

SHAman who knew of Head-Fi ten years prior to its existence
Reaction score
Hi Nik!

Thanks for the kind words regarding my review. The R10's are expensive to demo...and even though everyone who owns them loves them to pieces...at North American retail....$4000 is so incredibly expensive that I must look elsewhere for my musical joy. I did purchase the R10's once but due to some financial difficulties at the time, I had to return to sender...meaning I didn't even get my hands on them...my ears listening to their sweet tunes. Perhaps a big mistake in hindsight; however, the taxes alone were nearly $700 Canadian...quite a bit of money for an audition...

My ultimate goal is the R10 and a custom amp not unlike yours. I just hope the R10's are around still by the time I am ready to drop the cash. $2500 is my max...and even then...that is pricey. I am hoping $2000. We'll see.

post-200284
Post #4 of 9

Nik

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Hi Zanth,

do you accept even a used pair of R-10? Because I’m speaking with a friend of mine (Italian), he has one of the first R-10 produced: sn. 0004 but still in perfect conditions. I’m trying to buy the cans, I hope soonest as possible…. Tell me if you are interested.

post-200298
Post #5 of 9

Zanth

SHAman who knew of Head-Fi ten years prior to its existence
Reaction score
Yes I am interested

post-200386
Post #6 of 9

The Quality Guru

Blah! he says.
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
Since I'm looking for a new headphone, I'm becoming intrigued with the RS-1. Maybe I've been giving Grado short shrift all of this time.

I've heard both the RS-1 and the R 10, and they are so different in character that I can't imagine comparing the two. What else do you like about the RS-1?

Pigmode, I thought you tried them and really didn't like them? How do you plan to like them now? I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, I'm just curious as to how that might work.

post-200478
Post #7 of 9

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
Reaction score
Can someone direct me to Zanth's review? Is this new?

Mark

post-200538
Post #8 of 9

kerelybonto

doo-di-doo-di-dum doo-di-dum doo-di-doo-di-dum
Reaction score
It's not new. Check the featured full reviews forum.

kerely

post-200555
Post #9 of 9

pigmode

Truck-Fi
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally posted by The Quality Guru
Pigmode, I thought you tried them and really didn't like them? How do you plan to like them now? I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, I'm just curious as to how that might work.

Zanths review explains everything, it seems that he feels the same way that I do about the RS-1 with stock pads.

I'm reassessing my headphone preferences after realizing recently that I don't care for the AKG 501s sense of imaging any more. I will start with a blank slate and might try an A-T as well. I will also look into new amplification if called for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)