Reading Zanth's rew… (RS-1/R-10 considerations).
Oct 22, 2002 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nik

Headphoneus Supremus
Zanth wrote:

“I feel that the RS-1's are able to present a full-bodied musical experience like no other phone I have heard to date. I am told by some R10 owners, that I am meant for them. The HP-1000's are more neutral than the R10's but as has been previously stated on these boards, the R10's brings one closer to the music”. (Zanth)

I had the Grado RS-1 (with both the pads) for 6 years, I have loved this cans a lot, it was the only one in my listening … until the dream to own a R-10 became reality. I like a lot your rew Zanth, very detailed and professional, but the difference between the RS-1 and the R-10 are abyssal (IMO). I know very, very well the Grado, (because I had for 6 years). I do not know the Sony as I know the Grado, but I don’t need 6 days to understand the superiority of the Sony. As you said a “full-bodied musical experience” is exactly the specific of the fabulous R-10. I never heard for ex. the drums so “full” and “real” like I’m hearing with the R-10. But the most evident difference between the two is that the RS-1 with a certain music at hi (but no so hi) volume do not resists. All the instruments play together without the right distance and space around. The R-10 keeps always (any kind of music at any volume level) an exemplar coherence and dignity, they have a kind of “superiority” and a power incredible, never they go mad (as the RS-1 do). The R-10, like no any other cans in the Planet, speaks and plays like a living creature, this is my experience. The only two things that I admit the superiority of the Grado are: weight and price! The only “problem” of the R-10 is to find a same class amplifier.
wink.gif

Oct 22, 2002 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 9
Since I'm looking for a new headphone, I'm becoming intrigued with the RS-1. Maybe I've been giving Grado short shrift all of this time.

I've heard both the RS-1 and the R 10, and they are so different in character that I can't imagine comparing the two. What else do you like about the RS-1?

Oct 22, 2002 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 9
Hi Nik!

Thanks for the kind words regarding my review. The R10's are expensive to demo...and even though everyone who owns them loves them to pieces...at North American retail....$4000 is so incredibly expensive that I must look elsewhere for my musical joy. I did purchase the R10's once but due to some financial difficulties at the time, I had to return to sender...meaning I didn't even get my hands on them...my ears listening to their sweet tunes. Perhaps a big mistake in hindsight; however, the taxes alone were nearly $700 Canadian...quite a bit of money for an audition...

My ultimate goal is the R10 and a custom amp not unlike yours. I just hope the R10's are around still by the time I am ready to drop the cash. $2500 is my max...and even then...that is pricey. I am hoping $2000. We'll see.

Oct 22, 2002 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 9
Hi Zanth,

do you accept even a used pair of R-10? Because I’m speaking with a friend of mine (Italian), he has one of the first R-10 produced: sn. 0004 but still in perfect conditions. I’m trying to buy the cans, I hope soonest as possible…. Tell me if you are interested.
confused.gif

Oct 22, 2002 at 9:15 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
Since I'm looking for a new headphone, I'm becoming intrigued with the RS-1. Maybe I've been giving Grado short shrift all of this time.

I've heard both the RS-1 and the R 10, and they are so different in character that I can't imagine comparing the two. What else do you like about the RS-1?

Pigmode, I thought you tried them and really didn't like them? How do you plan to like them now? I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, I'm just curious as to how that might work.

Oct 23, 2002 at 1:34 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by The Quality Guru
Pigmode, I thought you tried them and really didn't like them? How do you plan to like them now? I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, I'm just curious as to how that might work.

Zanths review explains everything, it seems that he feels the same way that I do about the RS-1 with stock pads.

I'm reassessing my headphone preferences after realizing recently that I don't care for the AKG 501s sense of imaging any more. I will start with a blank slate and might try an A-T as well. I will also look into new amplification if called for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back