Readers, DACS, Amps and headphones
Apr 9, 2008 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

vvanrij

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey,

So I'm kind of new to all of this, just recently purchased the AKG K601. Currently my setup is:

Sony DVP-NS705V -> digital coax -> DENON AVR-1404 -> AKG K601

So I started reading on the forum, that I should actually get a headphone amp (instead of my receiver's headphone jack). But then a whole new world opened up to me
biggrin.gif
So a couple of questions:

When I get an amp, I have to connect with RCA cables. So then I would have to connect my Sony DVP-NS705V with RCA's to the amp? This means I would use the onboard DAC. How is that for quality?

For the K601, should I get a solid-state, or a tube amp?

For the K601, is the Little Dot MKII or MKV a good choice?

And offcourse, the amp's are very expensive. So I would like to know if it would really give me a sound quality boost
biggrin.gif

Thanks for your help,

-Victor

Apr 9, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 13
First off, The LD MKII, MKIII and MKIV are excellent tube amps. If this is what you want to try, I can think of nothing other in the price range as good as these amps. Read Penchum's reviews of these amps and make your own decision.

I have never auditioned a 601, but I use a Sennheiser HD595 currently and these sound very nice with a Little Dot amp. For the relatively low cost of a Little Dot, I would highly recommend that you buy one.

Being a newbie myself, the DAC route is much more treacherous. How much better will your phones sound with the addition of a DAC? I really cannot say, but I am looking forward to Can Jam '08 where I might listen to some combos that will appeal to me.

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #3 of 13
Whats also weird is that I'm told (when I bought my speaker rig) that it not just the DAC, but also the laser of the cd reader which is really important. So then to have a complete set, I'd have to buy a very good cd reader, DAC and AMP. Pretty expensive! But offcourse in each setup you will hear the weakest link.

Apr 10, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #4 of 13
Hmm and then I came across the Zero DAC/Amp. That seems awesome! Just connect it with coax to my SACD player, and it has a good review on this forum. Could people with experience please comment on the Zero DAC/Amp. Anyone tried it with an AKG? Its very affordable too!

-Victor

Apr 10, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could people with experience please comment on the Zero DAC/Amp.

Read the HUGE thread on the Zero; it should contain the information you need. For me, I am seriously considering the purchase of a Beresford TC-7510(MK6) direct from Beresford. This looks to be a good value DAC. (redirection page)

Apr 10, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 13
That one looks good too indeed, very affordable. There is also an amp in it, but I'm not sure if the amp is as good as the ZERO's. Did you compare the too?

edit: nevermind, found out the question is asked on page 3 of the HUGE thread
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 13
One quick word on switching to dedicated HP amp. I have the same HP as you, tried dedicated amp, and went back to the HP out of my integrated amplifier which remains my reference. I'm not familiar with your receiver, but many have excellent HP outs. You may have a surprise when you a-b it with the HP amp.

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 13
hmmm, that would be an awefull waste of money then
biggrin.gif
I did notice my receiver's DAC is better than my SACD player (which already was weird imo). Tbh I hope your wrong
biggrin.gif
cause I'm thinking of buying that Zero DAC/AMP and have my SQ upgraded
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

hmmm, that would be an awefull waste of money then
biggrin.gif
I did notice my receiver's DAC is better than my SACD player (which already was weird imo). Tbh I hope your wrong
biggrin.gif
cause I'm thinking of buying that Zero DAC/AMP and have my SQ upgraded
biggrin.gif

If you are listening to SACDs, the external DAC won't help. Scarlet Book gets downconverted to Red Book for the digital out on SACD players. You will get digital out, but none of the benefits of SACD. There is a Sony deck that will output to a DAC, but that's five figure territory.

As for an amp, I think AKGs go well with tubes. Take a hard look at the For Sale Forum - your dollar goes much further in there.

Apr 10, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #10 of 13
I don't listen to SACD's, though it is a SACD player. And I read that the K601 is better with solid state's, because it has a pretty warm character from itself already. The Zero gets great reviews, and is really affordable, I think I will buy it next week.

Apr 10, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #11 of 13
I bought a LDMKIII to go with my K601. I can't comment on solid-state, other than the headphone jack on my AV receiver. That's not a really fair comparison :wink: I must however say I like my LD very much. I still have the stock tubes in it. The sound can really change with other tubes. That's one advantage tubes have. You can roll tubes to your taste. Also I wouldn't call the LD warm. It's hard to describe but especially the mids are 'liquid' and 'creamy' (I hope it makes sense, and once you've heard it I'm sure you'll agree). Recently I got a DAC (my source is my computer). It's a KECES DA-131 fed with a coax cable. The whole system is the best I've ever had and among the best I've ever heard. I must say the DAC really improved the sound quality substantially (over my AV receiver's DAC). I even rolled the opamps
wink.gif

The sound signature of the combination (it's hard to tell which component is responsible for what, it's the combination really) I would descibe as: airy, good separation, dynamic (with enough slam), wide soundstage, detailed, natural (quite balanced both at the low end and the high end).

Ruben

Apr 11, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #12 of 13
Sounds good. A combination of a LD MK3 + DAC would be too expensive for me however. In the ZERO's review it sais it has a 'tubey' character, and it also allows all opamps to be replaced (plug and play style
wink.gif
) but the stock ones seem to be really good. Thanks for your reply.

Apr 11, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Sounds good. A combination of a LD MK3 + DAC would be too expensive for me however. In the ZERO's review it sais it has a 'tubey' character, and it also allows all opamps to be replaced (plug and play style
wink.gif
) but the stock ones seem to be really good. Thanks for your reply.

I know what you mean. I just wanted a headphone, and then I came here....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Before I knew it I bought special interconnects an amp and now a DAC. What's next? The ZERO seems to have a pretty decent amp. It's a very good and cheap choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back