RE2 IEMs as first 'real' headphones?
May 9, 2008 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

KindOfBlues71

New Head-Fier
I've been lurking around reading reviews and stuff and finally decided to post. I'm slowly getting into audiophile mode and am about to buy some quality headphones. I have a Rockboxed 5G iPod Video 30GB with stock earbuds <shame> and listen to classic rock, blues and jazz, plus podcasts (if that matters). My old Sansui receiver from the 70's died awhile back so I have no home stereo to speak of. The iPod thru phones or car stereo is my stereo.

My wife is getting me some nice headphones (less than $100) for Fathers Day this year and I'm thinking of going with the Head-Direct RE2 (group buy). I've been reading reviews and posts about other sub-$100 IEMs but keep gravitating towards the RE2s. Being my first quality headphone purchase I'm nervous about buying the right one for me, and living in Connecticut I haven't found any places with quality IEMs to try before you buy. I just want to make sure I'm not getting "too much headphone" for what I'm playing music through. So...thoughts?

Thanks for reading my post!

-KindOfBlues71

May 9, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #5 of 15
Well, I have a review on them as well and I gotta say theyre a great deal. I like them a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #6 of 15
I also like them a lot for the price. I keep going back and forth with the bi-flanges and Comply T400 (foamie) tips, and like both. Today, I decided they sound pretty much the same, but the Complys are a little less invasive, and are very comfortable. Unlike the Shure olives that Antony tried with RE1s, the Comply sound tube fits the RE2s perfectly, so I recommend them if the flanges or silicone tips don't work for you.

A good deal, warm sound, good details. I also use a little EQ with them, but not sure how the iPod EQ will work with them.

Hey, I used to have Sansui separate audio components (tuner and amp, not too expensive, but very nice) form the 1970s, but they died a long, long time ago.

May 10, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also like them a lot for the price. I keep going back and forth with the bi-flanges and Comply T400 (foamie) tips, and like both. Today, I decided they sound pretty much the same, but the Complys are a little less invasive, and are very comfortable. Unlike the Shure olives that Antony tried with RE1s, the Comply sound tube fits the RE2s perfectly, so I recommend them if the flanges or silicone tips don't work for you.

A good deal, warm sound, good details. I also use a little EQ with them, but not sure how the iPod EQ will work with them.

Hey, I used to have Sansui separate audio components (tuner and amp, not too expensive, but very nice) form the 1970s, but they died a long, long time ago.

hey tstarn, what eq setting do you use on your sansa clip? I usually put it on normal but i've been experimenting with jazz setting.

May 10, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by KindOfBlues71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read ClieOS' review a little while ago but I'm just looking for more feedback on them. I don't want to make my decision based on only 1-2 reviews.

I guess it will be a bit redundant if I say 'x2 on RE2'?
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #9 of 15
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I appreciate it. I'm definitely sold on the RE2s, now I just have to wait until Fathers Day to use them. :/

Two more questions for you all- First, do the RE2s come with foam tips (didn't look like it from any of the photos) and if not, where's the best place to buy Comply T400 foam tips? I didn't see them offered on Head-Direct's site.

And second, since I carry my iPod in my pocket sometimes would there be any problems with the straight plug? I don't want to put any stress on the plug. If only the extension included with the RE2s was an angled plug...

@tstarn06- You too! I can't remember the model# but it was solid state and put out 135 watts, more than enough for an apartment dweller. I've felt it's loss and have been trying to convince my wife that listening to satellite radio through our TV speakers doesn't even remotely count as a stereo. She just doesn't get it.

May 10, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #10 of 15
No foam tip in the RE2 package, but I'll suggest you to try the big bi-flanges that do come with the package. I find them to be very comfortable, even compare to foam. If you don't like the big-bi, than you can always order T400 from Comply's website or earplugstore.com later.

If you are worry about stress on the straight plug, RadioShack and other electronic store do sell angled plug adapter.

May 10, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by KindOfBlues71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I appreciate it. I'm definitely sold on the RE2s, now I just have to wait until Fathers Day to use them. :/

Two more questions for you all- First, do the RE2s come with foam tips (didn't look like it from any of the photos) and if not, where's the best place to buy Comply T400 foam tips? I didn't see them offered on Head-Direct's site.

And second, since I carry my iPod in my pocket sometimes would there be any problems with the straight plug? I don't want to put any stress on the plug. If only the extension included with the RE2s was an angled plug...

@tstarn06- You too! I can't remember the model# but it was solid state and put out 135 watts, more than enough for an apartment dweller. I've felt it's loss and have been trying to convince my wife that listening to satellite radio through our TV speakers doesn't even remotely count as a stereo. She just doesn't get it.

Re wives and audio/video...they rarely do (at least not mine). Can't remember the model number either, but mine wasn't as powerful. I remember they were all black with yellow lettering, and I stacked them. Wow, that was light years ago. I can't even remember why I got rid of the Sansui stuff, to be honest. Mind is going.

Here's a cheap alternative for you...Get a Sonic Impact T-Amp (v2), which you can find for $55 some at some sites (Parts Express) and a couple of BIC America speakers on Amazon ($100). Plug in your DAP, and you are in business. Excellent sound on a shoestring. I have a similar setup in my office, and it's amazing. Although I am using a pair of KLH speakers circa 1964 that still sound excellent.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Clieos advice on the tips is good. The bi-flanges are comfy, but they are large. The Complys are relatively expensive ($3 a pair), but they fit my ears very well, and sound great.

May 10, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomikans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey tstarn, what eq setting do you use on your sansa clip? I usually put it on normal but i've been experimenting with jazz setting.

I bump the bass up a notch (far left) and the same with the mid and treble, but just a little. The normal setting is pretty good too. Haven't listened to the jazz. The Clip EQ is hard to read, to me, and the RE2s are easier to EQ with the A816. But they sound fine on balance on normal. I just like a little extra bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back