RE1/RE2 Review
Jun 17, 2008 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

souperman

Headphoneus Supremus
I was lucky enough to obtain the RE2 and the RE1 and here is my review of the two.

The packaging that these RE's come with is incredible. A nice leather case with a dragon imprint on the front. You get a nice headphone extension which I really like since the RE's aren't so long like some headphones that you have to carry around a whole buch wire. The headphones also come with different tips, and that'll be the first thing I go into.

The tips are all pretty comfortable, but I found that the biflange's worked the best. It gives the best isolation while also bringing out the bass which the regular tips do not provide (more on that later).

The build quality on these things are also pretty good as well. Nothing too flashy, and not super cheap. Seems like I'll be able to knock them around without breaking them.

On to the sound.

I personally listen to a lot of rock music, and that is what I find the RE1/RE2 to do best. Because I felt like the RE1 and the RE2 are so similar, I will be revieweing the RE characteristic and then breaking down how I feel the RE1 is different from the RE2 at the end. My source is a Sony A729 with no EQ. I did not amp either the RE's. I will be using a few select tracks to do the review. I burned both in for over 300 hours even though it probably wasn't necessary, and I listened to each of the tracks listed until I got a very solid understanding of the sound.

Strung Out - The Misanthropic Principle

This song is one of my favorite rock tracks. The bass on this track can really make or break the song since the kickdrum drivew the song forward. The RE's do a pretty good job with electric guitars and sounds very airy. However, those who really REALLY like bass punch (getting kicked in the ear
smily_headphones1.gif
) may be a BIT dissappointed. Although the bass is there, it doesn't hit that hard, kind of like Alessandro's. I'm starting to feel like I'm listening to some MS1's which I loved when I had them.

Antoine Dufour - Spiritual Groove

This is an acoustical guitar piece that I love to que up when I have new headphones. The guitar is so smooth and the midrange is so liquidy on the RE's that I absolutely was in a trance while listening to Dufour run through his notes. I think acoustic guitar is one forte of the RE's. I don't know if I can say anything else about acoustic music. I could hear all the notes that Dufour plays and he plays quite fast so that gives a sense of the separation and airiness the RE's provide.

Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto 2

Rachmaninov composes such beautiful piano works. Classical pieces definitely give a great sense of soundstage on a headphone, and this may be one of the biggest cons for people who love soundstage. I personally don't care much for it, but since this is a thorough review, I have to consider the soundstage. The RE's have a pretty upfront soundstage (again very similar to the MS1's), but still has enough 3D soundstage for me to sit through classical pieces and really enjoy them.

MIA - Paper Planes

I just threw this song in for good measure to see how low the bass can go and hard it can slam. It can go pretty low, but the slam and impact is still missing about half from what should be there.

Conclusion

All in all, the RE's really delivered, provided you use the biflanges. The regular tips just don't work well for the sound for some reason. If you haven't read anything I typed, I think the one thing to take away from this is that the RE's have a very similar sound signature to MS1's. Granted they are not EXACTLY alike, and do not think that's what I'm saying. I'm just saying that this is the closest to a Grado/Alessandro I have heard in an IEM.

The RE1 and RE2 really don't differ all that much. The soundstage of the RE1 is greater than the RE2, details are a bit better, and dynamics are better as well. I think many would be very fond of the RE2, and may not need the RE1, but those that strive for the best, I say the RE1's are very worth it as well! I think Head-direct has done a great job creating an IEM that dips into rock enthusiasts who are tired of either IEM's that are too detailed/analytical or those that are too bassy.

It's been said that the RE1 sounds much better than the RE2 when amped, but I have no way of clarifying that since I have sold all my amps on my attempt to downgrade. I wouldn't doubt that since I have had similar experience with the PK1's and PK3's.

In comparison to my CrossRoads Mylarone X3i, I prefer the Mylarones only because the bass impact is more full. The soundstage and airiness of the RE's win out. I don't have much other experience with IEM's so I may not be as much help in comparing the RE's to other IEM's.

I say the RE's are very fun, and I'll have to go rock out now. Hopefully you enjoyed my review.

Sorry there are no pics. I have no camera and the phone camera can't take decent pics.

Jun 17, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 15
Those who want to see some closeup pictures can visit my RE1 / RE2 review :p

Did you amp your RE1, souperman? From my own experience, amped RE1 is quite different from RE2 in my ear. Thanks for the review btw.

Jun 17, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those who want to see some closeup pictures can visit my RE1 / RE2 review :p

Did you amp your RE1, souperman? From my own experience, amped RE1 is quite different from RE2 in my ear. Thanks for the review btw.

Oh no I did not. I should specify that. Thanks.

Jun 17, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #6 of 15
$150 for RE1, $80 for RE2. See group buy in the sponsor's forum

[EDIT] Didn't notice the group buy is over. See post#9.

Jun 17, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did someone say they are close to UE Triple Fi in terms of sound quality ?

That will be me and antonyfirst. We both think an well amped RE1 get really close to SQ level of TF10, but it isn't to say they sound the same.

Jun 17, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$150 for RE1, $80 for RE2. See group buy in the sponsor's forum

The group buy is over now, the prices are now $170 and $100 for the RE1 and RE2. It just ended on the 15th.

Jun 17, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kooonsty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The group buy is over now, the prices are now $170 and $100 for the RE1 and RE2. It just ended on the 15th.

Thanks for the correction. I didn't notice the time
tongue.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The soundstage of the RE1 is greater than the RE2, details are a bit better, and dynamics are better as well. I think many would be very fond of the RE2, and may not need the RE1, but those that strive for the best, I say the RE1's are very worth it as well!

Nice review souperman! I have a pair of RE2s myself and i am just loving them more every day. Just by having better dynamic range by itself should make the RE1 a major upgrade from the RE2, and would more or less perfect the sound for fans of the RE sound.

I'd take the opportunity here to thank ClieOS for your reviews too, you helped me make my decision (ie poisoned me) to order a great pair of $80 canalphones from China.
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice review.

Any idea on how the RE1 compare against the PK1? Since both are about the same price.

I haven't done extensive testing on of the PK1 vs the RE1, but from what I can remember, I like the PK1's more although, honestly I can't give you a reason.

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #14 of 15
Good review souperman! Personally, I am not a big fan of Head-Direct RE IEMs. First of all, I hate the wires - they are way too stiff and even with a shirt clip they constantly produce loud microphonics every time I move my head. Second of all, I think that the dip in the upper midrange takes away too much life from the music when used with single flange tips. Lastly, the biflange tips do fix the upper mids somewhat, but, at least for my ears, they are uncomfortable and don't seal well constantly causing the IEMs to slide out of my ears.
frown.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good review souperman! Personally, I am not a big fan of Head-Direct RE IEMs. First of all, I hate the wires - they are way too stiff and even with a shirt clip they constantly produce loud microphonics every time I move my head. Second of all, I think that the dip in the upper midrange takes away too much life from the music when used with single flange tips. Lastly, the biflange tips do fix the upper mids somewhat, but, at least for my ears, they are uncomfortable and don't seal well constantly causing the IEMs to slide out of my ears.
frown.gif

That sucks. I guess IEM's do really depend on the tips, and the biflanges are great for me, but the sound is still not as good as the X3i for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back