RE0s with No Amp
Feb 17, 2011 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MaxMusic

Head-Fier
Will the RE0s drive fine with no amp, or do i need to get the RE-ZEROs instead? Also while on the discussion of the two, do the RE-ZEROs have noticeably better bass? Ive read mixed results. 

Feb 17, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 9
You'll need some sort of amplification as line level output has insufficient power to drive anything. I have no problems driving a RE0 from my iPhone although I don't listen at ear deafening levels.

Feb 17, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 9
Amping typically improves the sound but you should be fine. Definitely an improvement over the iPhone ear buds.
atsmile.gif

Feb 17, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 9
I think the RE0 will play loud enough with almost any portable source (mp3 player). I use the Sansa Fuze and it has more than enough power to drive the RE0s. I also use the Creative Zen Vision:M and it has better amplification. The results are a better sound quality from the RE0s. So amplification is important not because of loudness levels, but rather sound quality improvements. You will almost certainly get better sound quality with greater amplification.

Feb 17, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 9
Ok so no-amp it looks like I want the RE-ZEROs then.

The RE-ZEROs come with the adapter for the balanced plug correct? 
Also, does this adapter decrease their sound quality? 

Feb 18, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Ok so no-amp it looks like I want the RE-ZEROs then.

The RE-ZEROs come with the adapter for the balanced plug correct? 
Also, does this adapter decrease their sound quality? 

I used my RE-ZERO's with my HTC HD2. Using a Fiio E5 portble amp made zero difference to sound quality, except using the Bass Boost function made the earphones slightly more enjoyable by boosting it's weak areas (bass) without noticably effecting the mids or highs.

The RE-ZERO should come with two adapters. They both do the same job but one is a block, one is a cable. Choose the one you feel most comfortable with.

As for the adapter reducing sound quality, I cannot accurately comment on this as I did not have a balanced output to test it out on. They sounded pretty amazing to my ears (best IEM's I've heard) and if the adapter reduced sound quality, then I'd be further amazed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back