RE0 vs. S4: Soundstage, Bass, Comfort, Gymability, and "Realism"?
Jan 25, 2010 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Napilopez

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I've done tons of searching, and as I look to try IEMs now, these two seem to be my best bets with a max of 100. Any other suggestions are welcome of course, but I'm pretty set on one of these. At identical price points, it's hard to choose.

The title pretty much says it all. I'll be using them unamped until I can afford a decent amp(although the RE0s brings one I've heard?), but I would still rather know how they sound unamped as my pockets already tend to be full. I listen to virtually every genre, I need something that will perform at least decently with everything.

Which has better soundstaging? This is usually the one "wow factor" thing I'm actually looking for.

Which has better bass? By better, I don't mean BAM BAM FART bass, I mean tight, fast and just "present" bass. I do really appreciate a natural sounding bass. I'm not looking for the bass to overpower the rest of the music, but for it to be equally present relative to the the rest of the music, so I emphasize it because usually, it's not.

For comfort, it seems clear the Klipsch are the winners, but still wondering.

I intend on taking them the gym, and the microphonics are shying me away from the REos =/ Maybe I'd just take my PX200-IIs for that, but I'm concerned about the sweat making the headphones stinky lol. That seems less likely with IEMs.

And finally my overall concern with SQ is realism. I really just want the headphone that better envelops me in the music, the one that if I close my eyes, I'm more likely to believe I'm really there, watching a live performance.

My main fears with the RE0s are Microphonics, Bass, and Durability. Comfort and fit to a lesser extent. What do you guys think? SQ comparison against the full size RX700, PX200-II, or FC700 would also be nice if possible =P.

Jan 26, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 35
Soundstaging -- not easy to define. RE0 probably has a more "airy" sound, so most people would probably say its soundstaging is a bit better.

Bass -- very different. S4 has much more in terms of quantity. RE0 bass is accurate but you can't really feel it. S4 has a lot but it's not totally natural. I'd call it a bit of a midbass hump. If you want your earphones to "rock," the S4 rocks more.

Comfort -- depends on how they fit your ears. For me, S4 is much better fit. RE0 are not uncomfortable, though.

Gym -- they are equal, as long as they stay in your ears. I have better luck with Yuin buds.

Realism -- that's really debatable. If you were in a rock club, you'd hear a lot of bass, and the S4 is going to give you more of that. If you were listening to an unamped acoustic music performance, I think the RE0 is going to reproduce that better.

Jan 26, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 35
The bass on the RE0 is great I think. It is fast and natural and extends well. And it is totally accurate across the spectrum. For gym use, I'd skip em and just get a junker pair of cheap KSC-75.

Jan 26, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 35
Hmm interesting, thanks guys! I might end up going with the "hifiness" of the RE0s, as the Klipsch seem to be more "fun" IEMs, and I already own two phones that are considered more on the fun side. Would most of you agree the RE0s are more analytical and detailed? *sighs* wish I could audition these. The klipsh look nicer imo and more comfy but i guess I can't really go wrong with either.

Jan 26, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #6 of 35
Get the RE0s, they might be less "fun" but they sound really great. It will take you a few days to acclimate, but if you stick with them they'll grow on you (my experience and those of a few others on head-fi). What portable player are you using? If you have an iPod, you might want to get a Fiio E1 asap, it livens up the RE0s noticeably.

Jan 26, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the RE0s, they might be less "fun" but they sound really great. It will take you a few days to acclimate, but if you stick with them they'll grow on you (my experience and those of a few others on head-fi). What portable player are you using? If you have an iPod, you might want to get a Fiio E1 asap, it livens up the RE0s noticeably.

Is the RE0 better then the triple-fi 10's

Jan 26, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #8 of 35
The RE0 won't 'envelope' you and make you feel there like you mentioned, it's got somewhat boring separation and soundstage. Your fun IEMs would likely do a better job at that. The RE0 is more 'hi-fi' though.

Jan 26, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the RE0 better then the triple-fi 10's

No, the TF10 are better other than the RE0's highs extend a tad further and the TF10 has a recessed mid, which the RE0 does not.
Of course, some might say the differences aren't really worth the money or might simply prefer the RE0, but from what I've gathered the TF10 is better. The TF10 also has more bass.

Jan 26, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, the TF10 are better other than the RE0's highs extend a tad further and the TF10 has a recessed mid, which the RE0 does not.
Of course, some might say the differences aren't really worth the money or might simply prefer the RE0, but from what I've gathered the TF10 is better. The TF10 also has more bass.

I haven't heard the TF10, but from what I heard they are big, whereas the RE0 is pretty small. Also, the TF10 has replaceable cables. The RE0 has accurate bass. It hits fairly deep and it's dry. This can be good or bad depending on the listener, as it doesn't have as much impact. Lastly, if it does sound like the TF10 is for you, you can get them customized.

Jan 26, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Off topic, but it seems that you haven't actually heard one and/or both of these earphones (i.e. this is what I gather from your "gathering"). If this is the case, I'm sorry, but you shouldn't use language which would lead readers to believe that you have personal experience with both headphones.

This has nothing to do with the fact that I own RE0. I'm not trying to defend them. But this is a bad habit to get into, and something that we should all try to refrain from doing.

If you actually have heard both earphones, you might want to make that explicit, given the frequency of posts that do the very thing I'm alluding to here.

EDIT: do like this guy...
smile.gif

Quote:

I haven't heard the TF10, but from what I heard they are big, whereas the RE0 is pretty small. Also, the TF10 has replaceable cables. The RE0 has accurate bass. It hits fairly deep and it's dry. This can be good or bad depending on the listener, as it doesn't have as much impact (<appropriate language, since the poster has heard these phones). Lastly, if it does sound like the TF10 is for you, you can get them customized.

Jan 26, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

I haven't heard the TF10, but from what I heard they are big, whereas the RE0 is pretty small. Also, the TF10 has replaceable cables. The RE0 has accurate bass. It hits fairly deep and it's dry. This can be good or bad depending on the listener, as it doesn't have as much impact. Lastly, if it does sound like the TF10 is for you, you can get them customized.

If the RE0 is used with a D4 then will there be a nice improvement in the RE0's bass, I also here that RE0 is more hi-fi in terms of clarity then the triple-fi 10's , how are the mids,since the triple-fi's are recessed.

Jan 26, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Off topic, but it seems that you haven't actually heard one and/or both of these earphones (i.e. this is what I gather from your "gathering"). If this is the case, I'm sorry, but you shouldn't use language which would lead readers to believe that you have personal experience with both headphones.

This has nothing to do with the fact that I own RE0. I'm not trying to defend them. But this is a bad habit to get into, and something that we should all try to refrain from doing.

If you actually have heard both earphones, you might want to make that explicit, given the frequency of posts that do the very thing I'm alluding to here.

+1 to the rant. Having actually heard both I don't think the TF10 is superior to the RE0. Different, yes. Also, I think the TF10s recessed midrange thing is a bit of a self-perpetuating myth. It's nowhere near as bad as such categorical statements make it sound.

Jan 26, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #14 of 35
Agree completely about the recessed midrange on the TF10 being overstated. No rant though. I can't comment on the RE0, never owned them. But also, when you reshell the TF10s, the phones sound a lot more balanced to me, which in my view is good (more air too). Just an addition.

Jan 26, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #15 of 35
I have not tried the S4, but I can comment on the RE0 and the X5.
I prefer the RE0 over the X5. Mids are more forward and Highs extend beautifully on the RE0 where the X5 appear a little veiled on the highs and not as bright.
Clarity is the RE0s big point.
If the bass is Eq I find there is enough and it does extend Lo, however I do find production of some songs can leave the Re0 sounding a little light on bass at times, but not to the point of me not liking them (i still luv them)
I run unamped on a walkman with clear bass.
About microphonics & the Gym if the RE0 is worn over the ear it helps a lot to reduce microphonics of the cable, but theres not much stopping the skeletal shudder or "thump" you get when you are walking or running (not sure if theres a proper term for that). ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back