RE0 & Thinksound Rains after 6 months and many hours of indulgence.
Jun 23, 2010 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

paulypaul

500+ Head-Fier
I've had my Thinksound Rains and RE0s for 6 months now and hundreds of hours of listening.
Here are my impressions on these 2 very different  IEMs.
I use Bi-Flange tips (meelec and RE0 bi flanges) on both these IEMs.
If you want a good review of these "sk3383" did an excellent review here.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/470357/review-hifiman-re0-vs-thinksound-rain

Below are my impressions after 6 months of use.

The RE0s first.
Neutral but Nice with excellent detail.
Very detailed bass and lower bass extension (EQ for it if you can around 30hz to 50hz if you have a parametric EQ or even better a 31 band graphic setup on your computer). EQed these iems are audible down to 20hz to 25hz, but the sweet spot is the 30hz to 50hz zone.
Mids and highs have really smoothed out a lot since new producing a more warmer almost fluid (silky) mid signature.
Highs are less harsh than when new.
Absolutely sibilant free (except for the odd overly produced album)
I recommend listening to these in quiet environments where full indulgence and appreciation are key.

Now the Rains.
These are quite a fun sound signature to listen to being more midcentric.
There is more audible bass with these iems and i find this good for when i am driving as the lower bass is almost inaudible from the RE0s in this situation.
The sound signature from the Rains is warmer than the RE0s and i find them great for listening at home to movies or tv shows where no EQ is available.
I would say the sound signature is colored and less neutral than the RE0s, but in a fun way.
I find now after hundreds of hours the Rains are a little harsher in the highs than the RE0s.
The Rains are a little sibilant in the mids to highs, but not enough to annoy me.
Maybe its the Sound Signature, but i find violins and cellos absolutely gorgous on the Rains.
Instruments a nicely separated and i feel the soundstage is a little wider on the Rains.
RE0s detail is still amazing but i find strings and cellos stand out on the rains.
Instruments which are faster like acoustic guitar are more detailed with the RE0.

I enjoy listening to both IEMs in different situations.

Jul 30, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #2 of 4
I've had the Rain now for more than a week and have done a good bit of comparison with my RE0.  My RE0 is v.2, I think, with the slick cloth cable and straight plug, that I've had for over a year now with many hours on it.  

Since having the RE0, like many here, I've had a love/dissatisfaction relationship with them.  Love the clarity, details and smoothness -- not a usual combination -- but want more good bass quantity, body, fullness.  Lacking that lower body has always made it sound un-natural and un-musical.  I think many people understand that, but we stick with it for the smooth clarity and boost it with an amp or some slight EQ.

The Rain came to me in used but perfect condition, with over 100 hours already, so I could compare them from day one.  I've blocked the small vent below the nozzle (leaving the back vent in the wood body open), which closed the too-wide-open feeling which felt like I was never getting any seal or bass response.

So enter the Rain into my picture as a possible all-rounder that might replace the RE0.  I will agree with Pauly's above observations, especially about acoustic instruments like strings, cellos, acoustic guitar.  The Rain just has a more musical, more cohesive presentation.  

Like Pauly, the only place I think the RE0 beats the Rain is the high end smooth extension -- it takes very concentrated listening to pick it up, but the Rain is a tad grainier in the mid- and upper-highs.  

I haven't used any equipment to verify this, but I think the Rain bass extends just as far as the RE0 -- or you certainly get a greater sense of extension just due to the fuller bass body.  EQ'ing the Rain down a tad around the 100K region removes just the slightest tendency to any muddiness/boominess.

In terms of having an IEM that is a great all-rounder that I can adapt to several sources, and needs less (or no) EQ help to sound very full and musical and fun, the Rain really is working that way right now.  It makes me want to listen to more music -- and that's what it's all about, right?!

Jul 30, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 4
yes, i think definitely running on no eq, the rains are more useable & fun than the RE0s, but with Walkman "clearbass" and a little eq the RE0s and RE-ZEROs really shine for me.
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back